Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a lady last year from a few towns over, an acre around here house in some spots close to.4 ' high. She called me to come mow cause.no.one in that town wanted to.do.it. took me.over 2hours, her.final bill was $100. She was im pressed. 2 weeks later had me come back same area, took me about 1hr 30min. Bill was around 60, sje told me to go eff off and left.. I was confused, went to the town and asked about her. Turns out sh
e dosent even live there, was some out of towner who was staying in a vacant house for a few weeks. I was pissed, lost 160$
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Got called to come give a quote on setting up an Above Ground swimming pool. So i'm thinking its gonna be a quick and easy leveling job. Get there and her son is on a tractor leveling out an area. Confused enough, she asks if I can legitly SET UP her 6' deep swimming pool for $15, no Landscaping at all. I laughed and without saying anything just got in my car and left.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
I aerated a lawn, called them the following year to see if they wanted it done again. They said the holes you left in my lawn caused grubs.
This is very common bud.
18ft open
bunton and cub riders
echo handhelds
ford dump
chevy 1/2s
case skidsteer
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got a good one. We do lawn maintenance for a lady at the end of a private drive. It's all dirt with terrible drainage so there's always huge potholes. Every 3 years the lady I work for pays to have all the holes filled because she lives at the end. There are 4 people on the road total and my client pays the whole price doesn't ask for them to help. So one year we do it and a week later we get a letter from a lawyer telling us to remove the fill from the holes in front of the persons house because they wanted the holes or they would have it done and send the bill to us. I never responsed. But now when I plow all the snow goes right in front of their house.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I was cutting a large yard one summer (weekly) and at the time I had a red truck, with trailer and huge white letters and numbers going down the bed of the company name and number. I had a guy pull in the guys driveway and ask me if "I cut lawns or just Mikes?". I wanted to say, No, I just got these letters on my truck so he knows I'm here.
I once had a Mother and daughter who I used to cut for and I would cut the front hill and they would do the back because they wanted to save money. I seen them struggling one day in the back trying to cut and trim it since they let it get out of hand. When I came back to trim, the daughter insisted that I needed to plug my trimmer in and didn't understand how it was running without a cord. I guess she thought I used a cord when I trimmed the front all the time. lol
Exmark 21 S series
Lawn Boy Gold Series Pro
Stihl fs90R
Stihl fs110
Stihl BR550
Stihl SH55 blower/vac
Stihl Sh 85 blower/vac
Stihl hs 45/ 24 "
6'x12' Quality trailer
http://www.facebook.com/CaptainsLawnService
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCaptain View Post
I was cutting a large yard one summer (weekly) and at the time I had a red truck, with trailer and huge white letters and numbers going down the bed of the company name and number. I had a guy pull in the guys driveway and ask me if "I cut lawns or just Mikes?". I wanted to say, No, I just got these letters on my truck so he knows I'm here.
I once had a Mother and daughter who I used to cut for and I would cut the front hill and they would do the back because they wanted to save money. I seen them struggling one day in the back trying to cut and trim it since they let it get out of hand. When I came back to trim, the daughter insisted that I needed to plug my trimmer in and didn't understand how it was running without a cord. I guess she thought I used a cord when I trimmed the front all the time. lol
Lol.I hate plugin trimmers!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow View Post
Lol.I hate plugin trimmers!
I hate all electric stuff but I keep a small 9" weed eater electric trimmer I had for awhile for my own yard when I need to do between plants and the Km110r is too big.

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heh. I always get "There's an outlet by the garage you can use" when giving hedge trimming quotes to old folks.

Really?

LOL
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just had a good customer put chicken wire 12" up a nice wrought iron fence that's around their backyard with I ground pool to keep their new puppy from getting through the fence and the wire curls to the inside about 6" into the damn yard! Goodbye trimmer, hello Killzall spray!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week i get a call from a customer last year that stiffed me for 3 cuts, ($90.00). After ignoring my phone calls, and 3 or 4 invoices mailed, put on the door. Not to mention the debt was turned over to collections in january.. and still haven't seen the money or a response.. (I just let it go..)

She calls in and leaves a voicemail yesterday wondering when i will be out to cut this year.. Also, she is interested in a fert/weed control program.. Really?? She Sounded super nice like she had no clue she still owed me from last year. I just don't get how she couldn't know. I know we have had the right number. I just didn't call her back... Probably not worth my time to even try to argue. My wife says i'm stupid and should call to get my money. I let it go so long ago.. I just deleted msg and moved on.

thought it was funny that when i picked her up as a customer late spring last year, she mentioned that her last company just didn't show up to cut this year (and it was a much larger local operation around here..) OOOH.. i wonder why they stopped comming out. She must get that temporary amnesia when that last invoice of the year comes in from the lawn service