Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a quart of Amsoil Saber and then pour 4 oz into old 6.4 oz bottles. They are marked in 1 oz increments on the side from the bottom up. That's what I do, and I have a bunch of them on hand all ready to go like that. I keep one in my tool box in case I'm out somewhere and run out of mixed fuel. rarely happens, but does once in a great while. 4 oz into 2.5 gallons and you're at 80:1. No fuss or muss. A quart will run you between $10.50 and $12 depending on where you get it. 6.4 oz and you're at the normal 50:1 if you feel the need to go that route.

Go to Amsoil's site and do a dealer search. I bet money you have several near you that you don't even know about. Most are private individuals that sell right from their home.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Buy a quart of Amsoil Saber and then pour 4 oz into old 6.4 oz bottles. They are marked in 1 oz increments on the side from the bottom up. That's what I do, and I have a bunch of them on hand all ready to go like that. I keep one in my tool box in case I'm out somewhere and run out of mixed fuel. rarely happens, but does once in a great while. 4 oz into 2.5 gallons and you're at 80:1. No fuss or muss. A quart will run you between $10.50 and $12 depending on where you get it. 6.4 oz and you're at the normal 50:1 if you feel the need to go that route.

Go to Amsoil's site and do a dealer search. I bet money you have several near you that you don't even know about. Most are private individuals that sell right from their home.
Nice! Sounds like a plan.

So can someone tell me why this stuff is so special? And I don't understand the benefits of running something 80 to 1 or 100 to 1 versus 50 to 1???

I looked at their website and it appears you can use less oil but it's the same as using more of the other type, like echo, stihl, etc is that right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Nice! Sounds like a plan.

So can someone tell me why this stuff is so special? And I don't understand the benefits of running something 80 to 1 or 100 to 1 versus 50 to 1???

I looked at their website and it appears you can use less oil but it's the same as using more of the other type, like echo, stihl, etc is that right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Using Amsoil at heavier mix ratios like Stihl HP or Echo oils is the same thing as running them, but it is still far less expensive.

Running at 80 or 100:1 makes more power since there's less oil and more fuel per ignition cycle, and a lot less smoke/smell since there's less oil.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Using Amsoil at heavier mix ratios like Stihl HP or Echo oils is the same thing as running them, but it is still far less expensive.

Running at 80 or 100:1 makes more power since there's less oil and more fuel per ignition cycle, and a lot less smoke/smell since there's less oil.
Interesting, and this is perfectly safe for the equipment? I assume so or else nobody would be buying the stuff right? Is it because Amsoil Saber is special somehow? You wouldn't want to run 80:1 or 100:1 with Echo oil would you?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Interesting, and this is perfectly safe for the equipment? I assume so or else nobody would be buying the stuff right? Is it because Amsoil Saber is special somehow? You wouldn't want to run 80:1 or 100:1 with Echo oil would you?
DO NOT attempt to run anything but Sabre at 100:1! Other oils not designed for those ratios, Sabre is. Many guys are understandably skittish about it. I used an old Echo to test Sabre at 100:1. If you like the oils your using and have easy access to and your not experiencing issues why fix what ain't broke? Generally the larger quantity you buy the more cost savings. The little bottle are nice and perfectly measured but not the most economical.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
DO NOT attempt to run anything but Sabre at 100:1! Other oils not designed for those ratios, Sabre is. Many guys are understandably skittish about it. I used an old Echo to test Sabre at 100:1. If you like the oils your using and have easy access to and your not experiencing issues why fix what ain't broke? Generally the larger quantity you buy the more cost savings. The little bottle are nice and perfectly measured but not the most economical.
Posted via Mobile Device
True, I'm not experiencing any issues. Was more of an ethanol/old fuel issue when I first started the trimmer and BP blower up a few weeks ago.

Was thinking of maybe trying out that echo red armor stuff.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
True, I'm not experiencing any issues. Was more of an ethanol/old fuel issue when I first started the trimmer and BP blower up a few weeks ago.

Was thinking of maybe trying out that echo red armor stuff.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/
Great oil just run it at Echos recommendation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, run only Saber at those leaner mix ratios since it was designed specifically to be run at 100:1. An Amsoil rep told me they have tested it down to 300:1 without any damage to the machines they used just to be sure.

There's nothing wrong with using other brands at 50:1, but if you go through a lot of mix (especially in the fall like many of us in the north do), then the savings in oil use are significant. Saber also seems to make all my machines run better even at the slightly heavier ratio of 80:1 (vs 100:1 which it was designed for as its name implies). I have a 13 year old Stihl SH85 that has always been an outstanding blower, but seemed to be getting tired a couple years back. I went to using Saber in it and it woke right back up like new. I had always used Stihl orange bottle oil in it prior to that.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shouldn't chainsaws be run with a richer mix than LCO HHs/BPs/etc?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Shouldn't chainsaws be run with a richer mix than LCO HHs/BPs/etc?
Yes. There's a huge agreement with that too if you visit any of the tree/arborists sites. I run my pro saws at 80:1 for minor cutting chores, but if I have a lot of cutting to do, I use 50:1 in them. I always empty them and run them dry when I'm done, so going from one mix to the other in my saws is easy.