Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,424
Buy a quart of Amsoil Saber and then pour 4 oz into old 6.4 oz bottles. They are marked in 1 oz increments on the side from the bottom up. That's what I do, and I have a bunch of them on hand all ready to go like that. I keep one in my tool box in case I'm out somewhere and run out of mixed fuel. rarely happens, but does once in a great while. 4 oz into 2.5 gallons and you're at 80:1. No fuss or muss. A quart will run you between $10.50 and $12 depending on where you get it. 6.4 oz and you're at the normal 50:1 if you feel the need to go that route.

Go to Amsoil's site and do a dealer search. I bet money you have several near you that you don't even know about. Most are private individuals that sell right from their home.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Buy a quart of Amsoil Saber and then pour 4 oz into old 6.4 oz bottles. They are marked in 1 oz increments on the side from the bottom up. That's what I do, and I have a bunch of them on hand all ready to go like that. I keep one in my tool box in case I'm out somewhere and run out of mixed fuel. rarely happens, but does once in a great while. 4 oz into 2.5 gallons and you're at 80:1. No fuss or muss. A quart will run you between $10.50 and $12 depending on where you get it. 6.4 oz and you're at the normal 50:1 if you feel the need to go that route.

Go to Amsoil's site and do a dealer search. I bet money you have several near you that you don't even know about. Most are private individuals that sell right from their home.
Nice! Sounds like a plan.

So can someone tell me why this stuff is so special? And I don't understand the benefits of running something 80 to 1 or 100 to 1 versus 50 to 1???

I looked at their website and it appears you can use less oil but it's the same as using more of the other type, like echo, stihl, etc is that right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Nice! Sounds like a plan.

So can someone tell me why this stuff is so special? And I don't understand the benefits of running something 80 to 1 or 100 to 1 versus 50 to 1???

I looked at their website and it appears you can use less oil but it's the same as using more of the other type, like echo, stihl, etc is that right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Using Amsoil at heavier mix ratios like Stihl HP or Echo oils is the same thing as running them, but it is still far less expensive.

Running at 80 or 100:1 makes more power since there's less oil and more fuel per ignition cycle, and a lot less smoke/smell since there's less oil.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Using Amsoil at heavier mix ratios like Stihl HP or Echo oils is the same thing as running them, but it is still far less expensive.

Running at 80 or 100:1 makes more power since there's less oil and more fuel per ignition cycle, and a lot less smoke/smell since there's less oil.
Interesting, and this is perfectly safe for the equipment? I assume so or else nobody would be buying the stuff right? Is it because Amsoil Saber is special somehow? You wouldn't want to run 80:1 or 100:1 with Echo oil would you?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Interesting, and this is perfectly safe for the equipment? I assume so or else nobody would be buying the stuff right? Is it because Amsoil Saber is special somehow? You wouldn't want to run 80:1 or 100:1 with Echo oil would you?
DO NOT attempt to run anything but Sabre at 100:1! Other oils not designed for those ratios, Sabre is. Many guys are understandably skittish about it. I used an old Echo to test Sabre at 100:1. If you like the oils your using and have easy access to and your not experiencing issues why fix what ain't broke? Generally the larger quantity you buy the more cost savings. The little bottle are nice and perfectly measured but not the most economical.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
DO NOT attempt to run anything but Sabre at 100:1! Other oils not designed for those ratios, Sabre is. Many guys are understandably skittish about it. I used an old Echo to test Sabre at 100:1. If you like the oils your using and have easy access to and your not experiencing issues why fix what ain't broke? Generally the larger quantity you buy the more cost savings. The little bottle are nice and perfectly measured but not the most economical.
Posted via Mobile Device
True, I'm not experiencing any issues. Was more of an ethanol/old fuel issue when I first started the trimmer and BP blower up a few weeks ago.

Was thinking of maybe trying out that echo red armor stuff.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
True, I'm not experiencing any issues. Was more of an ethanol/old fuel issue when I first started the trimmer and BP blower up a few weeks ago.

Was thinking of maybe trying out that echo red armor stuff.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/
Great oil just run it at Echos recommendation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,424
Yes, run only Saber at those leaner mix ratios since it was designed specifically to be run at 100:1. An Amsoil rep told me they have tested it down to 300:1 without any damage to the machines they used just to be sure.

There's nothing wrong with using other brands at 50:1, but if you go through a lot of mix (especially in the fall like many of us in the north do), then the savings in oil use are significant. Saber also seems to make all my machines run better even at the slightly heavier ratio of 80:1 (vs 100:1 which it was designed for as its name implies). I have a 13 year old Stihl SH85 that has always been an outstanding blower, but seemed to be getting tired a couple years back. I went to using Saber in it and it woke right back up like new. I had always used Stihl orange bottle oil in it prior to that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Valk's Avatar
Valk Valk is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 2,713
Shouldn't chainsaws be run with a richer mix than LCO HHs/BPs/etc?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
~ cut it high ~ let it fly ~
---------------------------------------------------
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Shouldn't chainsaws be run with a richer mix than LCO HHs/BPs/etc?
Yes. There's a huge agreement with that too if you visit any of the tree/arborists sites. I run my pro saws at 80:1 for minor cutting chores, but if I have a lot of cutting to do, I use 50:1 in them. I always empty them and run them dry when I'm done, so going from one mix to the other in my saws is easy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.09395 seconds with 10 queries