Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your tips and tricks on using Tenacity...? Wild Violet..?

I'm using this for spot spray only in backpack for a wild violet infested lawn.

Few weeks back I hit this lawn spot spray at max rate with an herbicide containing triclopyr and the result was only a slight curling and browning.

Looks like all the wild violet will recover.

Is tenacity picky as to which Surfactant is used....?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no such thing as a one shot kill on perennial weeds. All that high rate of triclopyr did was singe off the leaves. I know. I deal with grassy weeds that are supposedly annual, but have been there since I graduated high school. I can kill them selectively over a 60-90 day period. Tenacity is best used at low rates and repeated applications. 4 oz applied 3 times over 6 weeks is a lot better than 8 oz applied once. It is a little picky about surfactant rates. Everything is about measuring rather than guessing with this one. If your style is to count the number of glugs from the jug, there can be problems. Combining a moderate rate of triclopyr with Tenacity can reduce the white discoloration of treated vegetation and enhance weed control.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-05-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
There is no such thing as a one shot kill on perennial weeds. All that high rate of triclopyr did was singe off the leaves. I know. I deal with grassy weeds that are supposedly annual, but have been there since I graduated high school. I can kill them selectively over a 60-90 day period. Tenacity is best used at low rates and repeated applications. 4 oz applied 3 times over 6 weeks is a lot better than 8 oz applied once. It is a little picky about surfactant rates. Everything is about measuring rather than guessing with this one. If your style is to count the number of glugs from the jug, there can be problems. Combining a moderate rate of triclopyr with Tenacity can reduce the white discoloration of treated vegetation and enhance weed control.
Bingo. Most herbicides work by starving the plant so the longer you can keep the product on the better It works.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

High rates that burn off the leaves quickly keep the weed from translocating product to the roots. The customers need to be educated on this and your business model has to reflect this. I am not selling applications per year, I am selling a green lawn without weeds.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
High rates that burn off the leaves quickly keep the weed from translocating product to the roots. The customers need to be educated on this and your business model has to reflect this. I am not selling applications per year, I am selling a green lawn without weeds.
Excellent approach but since I only spot spray it is a slower battle. For my package rate clients who don't pick apart my programs and agree to correct cultural practices I will will do my best to chase the weeds out.

Thanks for the above tip about mixing with triclo..." How does it mid with 2,4 D also piled in the mix.

I'm super strict about measuring fwiw. I was told by.the salesman it would take 3 consecutive hits to knock it down.

Also this is a lawn I'm also spot and over seeding this next week....how is it on burning new sprouts of cool season grasses. I really can put off the seeding any longer. Mid April is my city off date for most Spring seedings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good read on Tenacity:
http://turf.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploa...eptSeminar.pdf

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Excellent approach but since I only spot spray it is a slower battle. For my package rate clients who don't pick apart my programs and agree to correct cultural practices I will will do my best to chase the weeds out.

Thanks for the above tip about mixing with triclo..." How does it mid with 2,4 D also piled in the mix.

I'm super strict about measuring fwiw. I was told by.the salesman it would take 3 consecutive hits to knock it down.

Also this is a lawn I'm also spot and over seeding this next week....how is it on burning new sprouts of cool season grasses. I really can put off the seeding any longer. Mid April is my city off date for most Spring seedings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool season lawn grasses are supposedly very tolerant. In fact, this is the product that can be used as a preemergent during seeding or shortly thereafter. The difference between a tolerant grass that might turn a little white and a susceptible weed is in metabolism. The weed is unable to metabolize the mesotrione and continues to have its chlorophyll destroyed. If I had to deal with a seeded lawn in the North, this would be broadcast applied after seeding. Otherwise, the crabgrass and broadleaves would eat you alive. Mesotrione is also sold as Callisto to farmers as a preemergent for corn. In established grass, that effect is not as pronounced because the sod keeps the active ingredient from contacting the soil.

Tenacity mixes fine with broadleaf herbicide. A double hit if you will. In my state, I am allowed to apply to established bermuda. One customer had an area with a combination of goosegrass and some pretty tall pigweed. 4 oz Tenacity, 1/2 lb 2,4-D weeds are down after 7 days. Be careful about 2,4-D based products if you want to seed after. It can affect grass seed. The Speedzone Southern formulation with its low rate of 2,4-D allows seeding after 7 days.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Thanks for the link. I know you do not normally broadcast spray. But if I had to seed a cool season lawn, this would be used. According to Syngenta, this can also be used when seeding centipede grass. Good for me, because weed control in that grass during establishment can be rough.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

i like turflon ester on wild violets
Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about drive?