Register free!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Repointing

Does anyone do brick repointing on a fairly large scale? You know, grind it out and point mortar back in the joints. I come across 1 or 2 projects a year that I'm asked to submit a proposal to repoint a brick building. The one I did at the beginning of the year last year I did not track production rates and I was profitable. The last one last year I was awarded the project but the funding fell through. I think I'm in the right ball park as far a pricing goes but I may be leaving money on the table. That's my concern.

Here's the question.

What are your production rates assuming it is 100% repoint of standard size brick and you are working on man lifts? Also, the guys are fairly skilled but not rocket scientists. We typically use 4 1/2" grinders and a thicker pointing diamond blade. We grind, rinse off brick, tuck mortar, acid wash if necessary, and seal if requested.

I'm looking for just the grinding and tucking production rates.

I do realize that some joints come out easier than others but if it's a full repoint, lets assume that they grind out easy.

I feel like we are pretty slow since it's not our expertise but I wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Nobody? alldayrj? Do you do this type of work?

I'm putting together a proposal for a 100% repoint project right now. Not huge but it takes some time. Here's where I'm at.

Total job 1600 sq ft.
Daily production rate per guy - 54 sq ft per day
Includes grind, wash, point, tool

I feel this is pretty aggressive but that's why I'm asking the question.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nah man i was hoping someone could help you. Ive always told ppl hourly on the larger jobs, didnt get any of those. On smaller stuff like stoops etc i can eyeball it but ive never done a building.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it's tough. I think most contractors just throw a huge number at the wall because there are so few guys that do it but what the heck do I know.

If you ever take on a job like that, it's much slower than you think.

I lost a job a couple years ago for a school the next town over and I'm glad I didn't get it. I kept my eye on it and those guys were there for a lot longer than I thought they should be there. It's a tricky trade. And that silica dust is nasty.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea the ppl who do it in NY are legit. Scaffold tarped in, dust collecting grinders and respirators. Thats all they do. I hate repair work anyway, its always a pandoras box