Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Super Z chokes out when blades engaged??????

Need some help here. I have a Huslter Super Z with a 31hp Kawasaki. I think its a 2011 model.
Anyway, After cutting for about 15 minutes it starts to choke out almost like when you get off the seat when the blades are engaged. It will start to choke like its not getting gas then it will go back to full idle and run fine. The problem gets worse as I'm cutting and does it more often. Then it finally gets to where it will idle all the way down and cut off.
Sometimes when its about to cut off I can shut the blades off and it will go back to full idle. Then I back off the throttle and engage the blades and it will be ok for a few minutes and then start to cut off again. By then its so bad that if I don't get the blades cut off in time, it will cut off every time.
A few things I was concerned about was a clog in the fuel tank lines. Switched tanks, Same problem.
It has only done this with the blades engaged.
I have also thought maybe fuel lines or filter? But shouldn't the problem still happen with the blades not engaged?
Maybe a loose connection? It strongly resembles the seat safety switch when you try to get off the seat while the blades are running.
And I also thought the battery? I keep my battery on a tender but for the past few months I have had to use the jump box to get it started even thought my battery tender is showing green.
I hope somebody can help me so I don't have to dump a bunch of money into this trying to fix it. Its the only mower I have so I can't really afford to be without it for long.
I am thinking of buying a new battery tomorrow to see if it works but money is really tight this time of the year so if that's not a good idea then I will wait.

Just a note: I already had the small red wire behind the engine replaced a couple years ago and this is a completely different problem. With that the mower died no matter what.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like fuel flow is limited . Check that filter . When you're cutting , the fuel rate is 2 gallons per hour . When you're not cutting ( but running down the street at full revs ) it's around a gallon an hour . The pump could also
be on its way out too ,
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Replaced the fuel filter and all seems to be good so far. thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to ask how many hours on the clock ?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Little over 500. I looked thru the manual and apparently I need to replace both air filters too but I cannot find the part numbers anywhere. Someone directed me to hustlerturf.com but I couldn't find it on there either. I'm gonna hit up my dealer tomorrow. I was just hoping I could find it online cheaper. And it said I needed to change the spark plugs? I'm not too mechanically inclined. Should I have my dealer do that also? or is it as simple as unscrewing the old and screwing in the new?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Sponsor

On the website towards the bottom you see a link marked support. Below that is manuals. That's where you'll find the parts manual for your machine.

Brian O
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

500 hours for a very small fuel filter is a long time , especially if it's been getting grass and soil dust in the tanks too.
Spark plugs are easy to change , but the HT lead is damn hard to pull off.
Make sure you don't end up ripping it off all together with gusto ;-)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll put a larger fuel filter on that's also NOT opaque . I even have one of these on the JD walk-behind self propelled,which didn't ship with filtering . ALL fuel should have filters inline imho .
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I had put a cheap one from Auto Zone on there a couple days ago and it was bothering me that it didn't look like the original one so I went by my dealer today and picked up the right one. $15=ouch!
I also went ahead and got a primary and secondary air filter as well as a Kawasaki Oil filter.
So Hustlerturf says my oil filter number is 603138 so I looked online thinking I could get a few and save but the only places that I saw that has them are dealers and they are $15 a piece. The one that my dealer gave me is a Kawasaki PN 49065-7007. I looked online for this and everything that I have found says that this oil filter is for a 25hp motor? Should I be concerned about this being I have the 31hp? Also if this isn't the correct oil filter, where can I cross reference the Hustler # 603138 for a Kawasaki filter?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The HP ratings are not a good guide for me : what's your engine displacement ? Is it the 850cc or 1000cc ?
That filter for my 1000cc is a 603138 and it's a 49065-7010 on the can side.
See that photo in my post yesterday for actual product package for the Hustler Shop.