Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Rebuild Retaining Wall

This is my 3rd year in the business, I have mainly confined myself to mowing, mulching, planting, cleanups... but I got a call today to rebuild a retaining wall. I tried to look up how much a wall like this would cost but everything I've found is about giant four foot plus walls and the one I'm rebuilding is less than 2 feet at its tallest point. So how would you experienced contractors price a rebuild like this? I know, figure out my costs and add how much profit I want to make, but other than fuel to get there and man labor, what other costs would I have? What other equipment would I need other than basic hand tools? How long would it take 2 or 3 guys? And how would one approximate a price? I really appreciate all of your guys advice.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

First picture is of a collapsed drainage area
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Start with measuring it. That would be helpful
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

There are 3 half circles as seen in the pics
1st one is 96 feet
2nd one is 60 feet
3rd one is 30 feet
Add 16 feet for a smaller circle not seen in the pictures
There's another 10 feet over top of the culvert
Then there's the collapsed drainage one that's 5 feet by 2 feet
None of the wall is over 1.5 feet tall
Total of 209 feet long by vary heights from .5 to 1.5 feet tall
This excludes drainage hole
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to see tiny pictures on my phone but what's all wrong with it? All I can see is it looks terribly built. Is it tipping over? Either way it doesn't seem like a good beginner project. Its usually harder to fix a wall than it is to build a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

It's 12+ years old and and falling over in some areas and where it's upright the rocks sunk into the ground and are buried by dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will have to pull it all out and look at the base to see how bad they did with it. A proper base should go a long way towards fixing it. If theyre sinking and tipping the base is probably your answer. Also look at how they backfilled and check drainage behind the wall. Im guessing it has a crappy base and no backfill or drainage which caused the failure.

Price is the cost of building a new wall plus time for taking out the old one.

As far as other than hand tools I would look for a tiny tlb to rent. Everyone has their preference but I liked using them for walls when I did them. You can dig out to prep for the base then bring your base material in and use it for placing the stones.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by TTS; 04-10-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also see a few areas where you will need more stones to make it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
You will have to pull it all out and look at the base to see how bad they did with it. A proper base should go a long way towards fixing it. If theyre sinking and tipping the base is probably your answer. Also look at how they backfilled and check drainage behind the wall. Im guessing it has a crappy base and no backfill or drainage which caused the failure.

Price is the cost of building a new wall plus time for taking out the old one.

As far as other than hand tools I would look for a tiny tlb to rent. Everyone has their preference but I liked using them for walls when I did them. You can dig out to prep for the base then bring your base material in and use it for placing the stones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Being a mortarless wall, I thought drainage was the gaps between stones where the mortar would normally be allowed the water to seep through?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the more experienced guys can correct me if I'm wrong but drainage through the wall is a perk of mortarless construction but its not meant to be the only drainage. Especially with inadequate backfill. With little or no backfill the dirt/mud on the back of the wall fills the gaps and basically turns into its own mortar creating a solid wall with little to no flow through so all water pressure behind the wall pushes directly against it. With appropriate backfill the stones filter the dirt while allowing water to pass through. Still with heavy water runoff you can have issues trying to push that much water through the wall. I don't know where you're located but in my area this time of year is big for these issues. Theyre already a bit off from frost then as the snow rapidly melts mixed with a bit of rain they will tip right over.
Posted via Mobile Device