Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
cmo cmo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 177
I mainly do structural pest control which i'm usually at $3 a min. I'm new to lawn care I only started doing it to help out with my slower pest control months. I strive to gross $35 an hour doing lawns sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. I might be completely wrong but I'm solo and all I have is liability insurance which is close to $1000 per year. Fuel to and from job, fuel while at job, and maintenance on my machines. I make plenty of profit on pest, and there is not nearly the competition like there is in lawn care.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,949
Dollar a minute really is just an old wive's tale...
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM
herler herler is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,578
It's like these sellers on ebay who worry about their feedback...
Who cares, it's not what is truly important.

Another way to say it is they're focusing on the goal instead of the path.
People do this crap all the time, they have their mind set on the prize trophy.
That's like going to a race and thinking about coming in first, hell doesn't anyone believe in running the race first anymore?

So instead of worrying about hourly wages, concentrate on doing a good job.

Last edited by herler; 04-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
rockymtnnut rockymtnnut is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cincinnati ohio
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Striving for/quoting/wanting a "dollar a minute" is an arbitrary statement for guys that don't understand the economics of business. Knowing and controlling your true cost of doing business is where you begin. I love the guys that say I have no overhead because all my gear and truck are paid for and I operate out of my garage. Their motto is "whatever I makes, I keeps". That's called a hobby and whether or not it makes money is incidental. BTW mid 30s per man hour is considered good in this business. Remember to take into all aspects and expenses of running a legit business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mid 30s is horrible money ,so a lawn that we cut with a 60 zero turn that takes 30 min should only pay 15 dollars come on be realistic. It's more in the line of 35 to 40$ . You need to at least get close to the going rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
rockymtnnut rockymtnnut is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cincinnati ohio
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Dollar a minute really is just an old wive's tale...
If you are using commercial equipment I would consider it a minimum. Now if you are using a push mower your dreaming. You need minimum standards in any business line. If your willing to drop below those standards it's a hobby and you have no business in the business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
I believe $60 per hour is middle ground. Commercial and municipal will be lower. Small cookie cutter lots will be lower. High end residential and estates will be higher. Your rates should be based on your overhead and what your market will bear. Without this knowledge your really just guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM
rockymtnnut rockymtnnut is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cincinnati ohio
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
I mainly do structural pest control which i'm usually at $3 a min. I'm new to lawn care I only started doing it to help out with my slower pest control months. I strive to gross $35 an hour doing lawns sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. I might be completely wrong but I'm solo and all I have is liability insurance which is close to $1000 per year. Fuel to and from job, fuel while at job, and maintenance on my machines. I make plenty of profit on pest, and there is not nearly the competition like there is in lawn care.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you make 3$ a min doing pest then why on earth would you accept 58 cents a min cutting grass? I would assume you are using a cheap push mower, or are you using a true commercial mower? If that's the case I have a buddy that works for orkin pest he's at 20$ an hour and with his benefits package it's right around 35$ an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM
cmo cmo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
If you make 3$ a min doing pest then why on earth would you accept 58 cents a min cutting grass? I would assume you are using a cheap push mower, or are you using a true commercial mower? If that's the case I have a buddy that works for orkin pest he's at 20$ an hour and with his benefits package it's right around 35$ an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
So because I make $3 a min. Doing PC I should try and make that mowing? I charge that much because that's what the market calls for where I'm located. I have no idea why you would assume I'm push mowing. Also as far as Orkin goes I worked for the only PC company that grosses more than Orkin yearly and I know many people that work for Orkin I can tell you $35 an hour is laughable your paid a percentage of your days production. The only way Orkin can pay out that much is when you have an extremely condensed route, with high production rates.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
Mid 30s is horrible money ,so a lawn that we cut with a 60 zero turn that takes 30 min should only pay 15 dollars come on be realistic. It's more in the line of 35 to 40$ . You need to at least get close to the going rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't base your price on how fast you can mow a lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I believe $60 per hour is middle ground. Commercial and municipal will be lower. Small cookie cutter lots will be lower. High end residential and estates will be higher. Your rates should be based on your overhead and what your market will bear. Without this knowledge your really just guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Or losing money and not even realizing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.09210 seconds with 9 queries