Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM
gallihergreen's Avatar
gallihergreen gallihergreen is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Research Triangle, NC
Posts: 3,355
I see 20 year old Ranger's on the road daily. So they must hold up pretty good.
__________________
Chris

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight


Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 PM
JDGlandscape's Avatar
JDGlandscape JDGlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 415
for what you are planning on doing a ranger will be ok. my cousin had a ranger 4.0 from when he was 17 til 23 and beat the living crap out of the thing, full throttle or no throttle, 120 on the highway and stuff, no mercy. very few oil changes or maintenance or anyting and it lasted forever will almost no problems until he totaled it last year
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 AM
ecurbthims ecurbthims is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sudbury ontario
Posts: 436
The ranger is a pretty good little unit ,but every one I owned ,s10 and Dakota's too ,honestly didn't save any gas over a modern full size truck ,and I couldn't put anything in it because they have small boxes .And being able to get comfortable in it for a ride around the block ,is way different than owning it and having to fold yourself into it like a lawnchair every day .Your almost as big as me and my son ,the ranger isn't a good choice for a guy your size .
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
CGros31 CGros31 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Labadieville, Louisiana
Posts: 25
Townhouse, I have a 4.0 Ford Ranger 4WD. I used to pull a 6x12 trailer with a ZTR, 21 inch walk behind, a blower, two trimmers, and a cargo box on it. It pulled it extremely well. Like someone else mentioned, the fuel economy will be no different than a full sized truck. I was getting about 15 MPG pulling the trailer. I recently upgraded my trailer because I bought a John Deere 1 Series Sub Compact tractor. The trailer is a 6.5 x 18 ft. Tandem. The Ranger handles it surprisingly well, but it is a little over loaded. I will be upgrading to a larger truck soon. But to pull the trailer that you have, that 4.0 will walk with it like nothing is back there.
__________________
2014 F-250 Lariat SuperCrew FX4 6.7L Power Stroke
6.5 x 18 ft. Utility Trailer
John Deere 1025R with 60 inch AutoConnect (48 inch Frontier Rotary Cutter)
John Deere Z910A 48 inch
John Deere JS38 Walk-Behind
Echo SRM-265 String Trimmer
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PAS-225 with trimmer, blower, and pole saw
Echo PB-500h Backpack Blower
Echo PB-250 Blower
Echo CS-370 Chain Saw
Echo 3 gallon sprayer
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGros31 View Post
Townhouse, I have a 4.0 Ford Ranger 4WD. I used to pull a 6x12 trailer with a ZTR, 21 inch walk behind, a blower, two trimmers, and a cargo box on it. It pulled it extremely well. Like someone else mentioned, the fuel economy will be no different than a full sized truck. I was getting about 15 MPG pulling the trailer. I recently upgraded my trailer because I bought a John Deere 1 Series Sub Compact tractor. The trailer is a 6.5 x 18 ft. Tandem. The Ranger handles it surprisingly well, but it is a little over loaded. I will be upgrading to a larger truck soon. But to pull the trailer that you have, that 4.0 will walk with it like nothing is back there.
Thanks for the testimonial, that sounds like a good little work truck.

Thanks again to patriot, tlc, jdg, gallihergreen as well.

I am meeting with another guy on Friday to look at an 2005 ford ranger with v6, 4wd, FX4 package, and a toolbox, with only 120k on it. In budget as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Townhouse Yards; 04-23-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
The ranger is a pretty good little unit ,but every one I owned ,s10 and Dakota's too ,honestly didn't save any gas over a modern full size truck ,and I couldn't put anything in it because they have small boxes .And being able to get comfortable in it for a ride around the block ,is way different than owning it and having to fold yourself into it like a lawnchair every day .Your almost as big as me and my son ,the ranger isn't a good choice for a guy your size .
I fit ok actually, it wasn't bad. My dad is now convinced I fit in one. The tilt wheel is a great feature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,324
Is your dad helping you buy it?

I'm 6ft. I couldn't drive one for more than an hour at a time lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Is your dad helping you buy it?

I'm 6ft. I couldn't drive one for more than an hour at a time lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, he is. That's why no v8. He is actually buying all of it but I am paying for half insurance, all of gas and repairs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,324
That's a nice deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's a nice deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, it is pretty sweet. Especially since we just put a deposit down on a 2005 Ford Ranger last night. We will own it officially early next week. I am so excited to actually be getting one. I will post some pictures next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.09235 seconds with 10 queries