Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

thinking of growing into fertilizing

So we have been in the business for almost thirty years and usually all we do for fertilizing is our lawn contracts have basic fertilizer usually just one application. But we were contacted by an old client that owns 4 apartments asking for a quote on fertilizing and we couldn't believe how much we will make off 4 properties. So this got me thinking, we should consider growing on this side of the business more.

So my question is what equipment and everything do i need to know about doing it right.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

btw the only fertilizing equipment we have is two walk behind spreaders and one spreader that can be towed by something. no liquid sprayer or anything special so advice on a good liquid sprayer would be nice too because we will need one for these 4 we picked up.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say that you are getting into the best side of this industry. There is a lot of money to be made in this business. But u must be efficient. I would highly recommend a ride on sprayer/spreader. The guys talked me into one and yes they are expensive but I have had mine for 2 months and have mine over halfway paid off. I have cut my fertilizing times by 73% and don't get me started on the spraying. The fellows on here told me to get a ride on and never look back. I am so glad I listened. Btw I bought a ground logic pathfinder. Great machine
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i want to buy a ride on one but we'll have to see what the finances say! because we have the push ones already we may just find some sort of sprayer that can tow behind a mower or something and then once we've made enough from it, we'll buy one. I looked at the pathfinder, looks nice. we looked at the lesco ride on but jeeze i could buy a new mower for less. pathfinder looks like a little more reasonable.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to have a pesticide license to apply herbicides or crabgrass pre-emergent.
Lucky you have Gregson Clark just down the road. Top quality sprayers and people. They can explain what you need. If you buy a ride-on, you can use the sprayer as a nurse tank to fill the ride-on.

I don't recommend a tow-behind sprayer, as they are a difficult to maneuver in small areas with bushes, flower beds, or islands.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You need to have a pesticide license to apply herbicides or crabgrass pre-emergent.
Lucky you have Gregson Clark just down the road. Top quality sprayers and people. They can explain what you need. If you buy a ride-on, you can use the sprayer as a nurse tank to fill the ride-on.

I don't recommend a tow-behind sprayer, as they are a difficult to maneuver in small areas with bushes, flower beds, or islands.
Completely agree with all above. I looked at a couple skid sprayers before I bought my ride on and the money was about half of a ride on. Ymmv but for me it was a no brainer. With a good ride on you can go and hunt for business versus worrying if you can get itall done. Just my two cents as others operations are far different than mine
Posted via Mobile Device