Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What town are you in?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

So I went to that customers house today and here's the deal There are several little patches of his yard that he wants me to dethatch. Which ill probably just do with a dethatching rake since there so small of areas. I measured all the beds for mulch it measures at just over 10,000 square feet last year they used brown mulch and looks like its 1.5 inches deep. He wants black mulch this year so I figured I would just turn the existing mulch and apply an inch thick layer of new black mulch so if my calculations are right I figure I need 30 yards of mulch which is what he thought they installed last year. He also wants the front 3 beds about 4000 square feet edged which ill also have to do that by hand due to possible irrigation lines and small area. He also wants all the beds cleaned up (10,000 sqft) there's a good amount of weeds, the normal sticks and debris and a good amount of leaves in all the beds, he has woods in his back and side yard so I can blow all the leaves into the woods. So now I'm even more undecided on what I want to or should do. I'm unsure exactly on pricing black mulch in my area is $30 a yard plus $175 delivery fee so that's $1175 in mulch I figured about 70-80 a yard installed so the total with material and labor would be some were between 2,100 - 2400 for the mulch. I figure one person can do about a yard an hour so the mulching job should take me around 30-35 hours. I'm unsure how to figure out the dethatching and bed clean ups prices I'm not sure what to charge and hour 50 dollars or 60 dollars and I'm unsure how many hours this will take me due to I have never a job this big. Ide like to hear back from people is this job to big for a part time solo operation ?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That job is too big for a part time solo in my opinion.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. You can do 30 yards in a day but you'll need two - three people.

Bed prep will take long than actually mulching. 10 Cu ft wheel barrow heaped is a lil less than a half of yard.

I wouldn't bother turning mulch though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitly a large job for a solo part timer. By the time you finished the job it would next spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you know a couple guys in your area you can sub-contract them, otherwise it will take you a solid week by yourself.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Price your mulch out at $75 and have that include all the clean up. Hire a guy to help.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

hey if the guy doesnt mind you taking a week to do it and you have the time, the money sounds worth it. but personally we charge 60 an hour for things and that include insurances and labor and that kinda stuff.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem is Monday threw Friday I work until 4 so I'm limited to after work and weekends so it may take me more than a week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry you can't do this job unless you basically fully sub out the work. As far as charging $75 per yard of mulch including clean up, that LCO either mis-typed or it is not good advice. Depending on your area of the country, which you stated was an upper class neighborhood you should be able to get $60 a yard for mulch including laying it down. Plus your hours worked on clean-up, plus de-thatching areas of the yard, plus edging a few beds he wanted edged. You can $90+ a yard in upper class neighborhoods per yard of mulch.

But unless you want to try and sub it out to a big company and make a couple bucks being the guy in charge then you need to let him know that it's TOO MUCH work for you to do. That's a lot of work for a full-time 2-3 man crew. Personally with my dump trailer I can do 2-3 yards of mulch per hour by myself, anyone working for you is going to work two-thirds your pace.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN