Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You don't base your price on how fast you can mow a lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was making a point that $35 an hour is insanely low. And nonsustainable
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
So because I make $3 a min. Doing PC I should try and make that mowing? I charge that much because that's what the market calls for where I'm located. I have no idea why you would assume I'm push mowing. Also as far as Orkin goes I worked for the only PC company that grosses more than Orkin yearly and I know many people that work for Orkin I can tell you $35 an hour is laughable your paid a percentage of your days production. The only way Orkin can pay out that much is when you have an extremely condensed route, with high production rates.
Posted via Mobile Device
The $35 an hour is what I'm talking about as a benefits package yourself employment tax is15 % plus other taxes this is the cost per employee and you are an employee. So your market will only sustain 15 to 18$ for a lawn ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the dollar a minute thing is ******ed... I've got some smaller lots that require me to slow down wih the mower and have a fair amount of trimming/edging, they usually take the better part of an hour to do solo but there's no way I could charge sixty bucks, or even fifty bucks. I could speed up and do it in 30 min and hit my sixty bucks an hour or I could slow down and do it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
The $35 an hour is what I'm talking about as a benefits package yourself employment tax is15 % plus other taxes this is the cost per employee and you are an employee. So your market will only sustain 15 to 18$ for a lawn ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep that's what I charge $15 a yard! Haha man I'm solo I take my time and make sure I do it right. I have a commercial zero turn, commercial WB. Husky BP blower and echo handhelds. Why do you invest so much time trying to make a random guy on a forum feel bad. I started out my original post by stating I make an insane amount of profit from doing pest control so in return I'm not trying to gouge a person I'm mowing for. I see no problem pulling up to house at 8 TAKING MY TIME leaving at 10 and getting a check for 70 or 80 dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man it reeks of dead horse in here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yep that's what I charge $15 a yard! Haha man I'm solo I take my time and make sure I do it right. I have a commercial zero turn, commercial WB. Husky BP blower and echo handhelds. Why do you invest so much time trying to make a random guy on a forum feel bad. I started out my original post by stating I make an insane amount of profit from doing pest control so in return I'm not trying to gouge a person I'm mowing for. I see no problem pulling up to house at 8 TAKING MY TIME leaving at 10 and getting a check for 70 or 80 dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Congrats! You're the Robin Hood of lawn care!

You should be charging almost double that for 2 hours. You're a lowballer. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUALITY. That's a cop out. It's an excuse you use to charge ridiculously low prices. Your "quality" isn't any better than any other respectable companies, either.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Congrats! You're the Robin Hood of lawn care!

You should be charging almost double that for 2 hours. You're a lowballer. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUALITY. That's a cop out. It's an excuse you use to charge ridiculously low prices. Your "quality" isn't any better than any other respectable companies, either.
Look I'm not trying to lowball this is my first year doing lawn care. I 'm moving slower than you are to make sure I do it right because I'm not as good or experienced as others. Hopefully this time next year I can get it done 50% faster and charge the same. So to sum it up I'm moving slower than most right now so I don't make an irreversible mistake on my customers lawn. I'm getting the market price for a lawn. I'm just taking a little longer at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Look I'm not trying to lowball this is my first year doing lawn care. I 'm moving slower than you are to make sure I do it right because I'm not as good or experienced as others. Hopefully this time next year I can get it done 50% faster and charge the same. So to sum it up I'm moving slower than most right now so I don't make an irreversible mistake on my customers lawn. I'm getting the market price for a lawn. I'm just taking a little longer at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sir, that is a fair, respectable, level-headed reply. Just wait til you almost double your output AND the lawns look better. It's gonna be awesome.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Sir, that is a fair, respectable, level-headed reply. Just wait til you almost double your output AND the lawns look better. It's gonna be awesome.
I appreciate that reply I'm usually a fan of your posts so I was confused about the Robin Hood attack ha ha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
You stated that 35 an hour was your target if you cut a lawn and a half an hour at a $35 an hour rate thats 17.50$ i'm not trying to make you feel bad but you understand what trying to make a living at this But understand you have to be sustainable and $35 an hour for an operator is not sustainable
Posted via Mobile Device