Register free!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Concrete work?

Does anyone here do much concrete work? Looking into getting a General Contractors license and pouring sidewalks and curbs.

BTW, I didn't know where to post this since it's not really about landscaping or hardscaping. So if it doesn't belong here please move it wherever you feel appropriate mods.

Thanks.

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

The people in Ferguson aren't looters, they're undocumented shoppers!

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think alldayrj does a good bit of sidewalks.
So does SVA Concrete.
I'm working on my General contractor & heavy construction lic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Curbing is highly specialized. Some towns require permits for curb cuts and sidewalks too. Sidewalks are easy but concrete prices are cut throat and people are still charging what they did 20 years ago. Concrete has to be done fast to turn a profit. We do lots of patios and driveways but with concrete there is no way around having enough experienced guys.

Ill say this, do what youre good at and do a lot of it. Most of the landscape guys who dabble in concrete get tossed out quick
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete can make or break projects. You gotta have guys that know what they are doing.. Not enough guys that don't know what they are doing will cause you to tear out and start over. Which is never fun.

And make good contacts once you get going. Find a good concrete company, get to know the drivers. Know where they are coming in and how, have places to wash out. Work with them, they'll work with you. Once you find a good concrete company, use them exclusively and they'll become easier to work with. Same with a pump guy, I've got one guy I use when I've gotta pump. There are others but they weren't as good as he is. He knows I am loyal to him and helps me out as best he can.

I try to run as slim and as fast as I can. I reuse almost every form board, stake, and some screws. Every dime counts. Some guys buy new boards each time around.. I try to use them until they are just to crooked(they are then cut into stakes) or they are so screwed up we burn them..

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Junior M; 04-11-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been finishing since 1975, have a gen engineering lic.
Done residential, commercial, vertical and flatwork. It's a tough job.

CG&Sidewalk where we are is prolly different than where you're at even though it's the same. The ADA has made quite a difference in the last twenty years, interpretation of grade and slope is critical and you can't finish CG&Sidewalks anymore without a smart level or similar tool
http://smarttoollevels.com

Competition is fearce and it's a young mans trade. My son and nephew are both finishers leading work for a couple bigger contractors. Last year we (my dad included) poured a slab and my grandson was helping us, that was four generations of finishers on one job, (that was cool)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do alot of concrete work, but we dont pour it, we prep it lay it out and i sub the pour out to a concrete company. you dont make as much but you also done have to staff concrete guys that can do it correctly.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the responses guys! You have given me a lot to think about.

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

The people in Ferguson aren't looters, they're undocumented shoppers!

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I used to work for a bridge company. We did all our own work from drilled shafts to columns to pier caps to the bridge decks, approach slabs and concrete barrier walls. Even did some minor concrete paving and curb work from time to time. A sister company used to do a bunch of CG & flat work.

In both cases, labor is key along with proper equipment and good material vendor relationships. The bridge work was tough and more costly from almost every perspective but there was considerable more profit. The sister company was always in a cut throat situation. Many times they took jobs for cost to keep guys employed and cover overhead only. I was always thankful we were in a market that we could actually make a decent profit.