Register free!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Patio question

First time poster here been on the sight a ton and learned a lot by reading but figure ill probably learn more by participating. So I am building a paver patio and firepit in my back yard. Figured its much better to learn on my dime/property then a customers . My question is how many of you run a plate compactor over the top after you put sand on top to help the sand really get down in the joints. I have a few friends that do a lot of hardscaping who have been great for answering questions . But they all have given different answers on this one. The one I got that made the most sense to me was to lay all your pavers then put about a 1/4 of sand over everything and run a plate compactor over it . Then if I wanted to put in poly sand to go back in and sweep some out of the joints and apply the poly. I just wanted to get a few more opinions on what you have done and why. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the plate compactor on the pavers after sweeping sand into the joints and keep sweeping in sand and compacting until all the joints are filled.

I use an old carpet or something similar to put under the compactor to protect the face of the pavers.

If you are using poly sand I would just use poly sand for all of the joint and not part regular and part poly sand.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Landscapes View Post
I use the plate compactor on the pavers after sweeping sand into the joints and keep sweeping in sand and compacting until all the joints are filled.

I use an old carpet or something similar to put under the compactor to protect the face of the pavers.

If you are using poly sand I would just use poly sand for all of the joint and not part regular and part poly sand.
IMO..a piece carpet or urethane pad is a good idea..i learned the hard way after using a 7800lb CF compactor on some Holland stone...you ever try and pry out cracked Holland stone after going over it with that
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

How are you attaching the carpet or pad to the compactor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

been installing pavers for 18 years. And we have never ran a compacter over the pavers after applying the joint sand. And I have no intentions of ever doing so, because after 18 years....I still have not seen a reason why we should.

I know others do run the compactor over the pavers after brushing in sand. But we don't.

so, you may take that for what it's worth....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 04-10-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well grandpa here, lol, sweeps sand in the joints first, then you want to put down a geo-textile just like what you would use behind retaining walls, it has some thickness to it. Keeps the sand down and prevents scarring of the pavers. After compaction, remove the tarp, sweep sand til joints are almost full, you want to see just the bevel. Don't over do the sand. Follow thru with recommended procedure that is on the bag. Some want just a misting of water, (techo, permacon sp. etc.) others want an iniital misting then a good soaking (envirobond)

Put picnic table on patio after 1 day maybe less, then open beer and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is what happens when you don't use a tarp or rubber pad on the compactor. (Note: job from 6yrs ago) We use the tarps now.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, so you wont have that problem if you do our method.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I find it speeds up the process and the stone stays in place with the sand previous to compacting. I have compacted before sand install more than once, but I find the stones do shift around more than I'm comfortable with. It all boils down to the same thing. But... I think the sand before compacting is best. IMO

In defense of DVS, it sure is easier to remove a broken stone before sand install.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarn View Post
How are you attaching the carpet or pad to the compactor?
Posted via Mobile Device
I had a few old carpets that were moved around while I walked the compactor around.

You may also be able to bolt the carpet to some part of the plate on the compactor
Posted via Mobile Device