Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
We need an amplification of this statement to understand really what you mean. We need to know exactly what you mean by "this business."
The lawn care biz. You learn to add, multiply, subtract, and divide in grade school. You learn the ins and outs of lawn care and landscaping by doing it. You learn about customer interaction by interacting with customers not reading about it in a book.

There is a plethora of billing, routing, scheduling software out here. No degree required!

No degree will give you the determination to get your lazy butt out of bed every morning, either.

It's not needed.

If you want to be a doctor go to college. If you want to be in this business then grow a set of balls and use some common sense.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess horticultural or landscape design has no meaning to the "lawn care biz"

I'm sure you learn exactly what plants to group together by hydro zones when they all die to improper water.

Or correct pruning methods, turf grass maintenance, aquatic plants etc. hell there's entire programs just for golf courses.

College is far from useless for someone wanting to build a business and not just cut grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Creative, ... thanks for your perspective. We know lots more now. I'll let others comment.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I guess horticultural or landscape design has no meaning to the "lawn care biz"

I'm sure you learn exactly what plants to group together by hydro zones when they all die to improper water.

Or correct pruning methods, turf grass maintenance, aquatic plants etc. hell there's entire programs just for golf courses.

College is far from useless for someone wanting to build a business and not just cut grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL...you're talking about less than 1% of the business.

Most lawn care businesses are maintenance, basic landscape, and basic lawn treatment.

Any idiot can measure and put down mulch or mow a lawn. Any idiot can measure out a ratio of water to chemical. You're deluding yourself if you think there's much more to it than that. There isn't.

If you want to be the head greens keeper at Augusta National then by all means go ahead and try. You'll probably end up at the local hack course making a crap wage.

I've built patios, decks, pergolas, fences....crap that would amaze you. How did I ever do it without college? I just did it. That's how.

Kids these days must be ignorant. I can't even comprehend why anyone would even consider college if this is the business they want to pursue. What an absolute waste of 4 years and 50 grand.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without knowing how far you got in High School coarses it hard to advise you where to start, if you were an exceptional student you would already have college credits.

Setting that aside you are an Exceptional Person, and Congrats on that.

Because you are young I would enroll in a Junior State College 2 year program and take 3 years to complete it. I would also take all the inexpensive State Trade Training that's availvale, such as Mechanics, Welding, Carpendry, etc. it may also give you College Credits.

You will still have more than enough time to work and build your business.

I would also not persue your business with your "Buddy" after you have graduated High School. Team up on large jobs, etc, but do not become partners.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
LOL...you're talking about less than 1% of the business.

Most lawn care businesses are maintenance, basic landscape, and basic lawn treatment.

Any idiot can measure and put down mulch or mow a lawn. Any idiot can measure out a ratio of water to chemical. You're deluding yourself if you think there's much more to it than that. There isn't.

If you want to be the head greens keeper at Augusta National then by all means go ahead and try. You'll probably end up at the local hack course making a crap wage.

I've built patios, decks, pergolas, fences....crap that would amaze you. How did I ever do it without college? I just did it. That's how.

Kids these days must be ignorant. I can't even comprehend why anyone would even consider college if this is the business they want to pursue. What an absolute waste of 4 years and 50 grand.
While I agree that most of this business requires experience, some people just lack the people skills to correctly interact with customers to make good sales/impressions. So some that skip out on college crash and burn, and are usually what people look at as examples of what happens to you if you DON'T go to college. But like you said, if you seriously know what your doing, are motivated, determined, and don't undermine yourself you can make some good money in this business without a degree. Ton's of successful people don't have degrees like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Ralph Lauren, Steve Jobs etc...
Plus unless you advertise it, nobody really cares/asks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post

Can we presume you have characterized yourself?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Can we presume you have characterized yourself?
Roger what we do is not all that hard, making a living at it is .

A college Degree to become a LCO is a waist.

But with the OP Fresh out of High School my plan of a 2 year Junior College Degree in 3 years keeps all future options open. Not to mention theres a lot of GIRLS in College.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Without knowing how far you got in High School coarses it hard to advise you where to start, .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

A college Degree to become a LCO is a waist.

I rest my case.

Sorry -- couldn't let it pass.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry that's not what we're saying.

I'll agree if you want to cut grass the rest of your life yes a college degree would be a waste

But if you want to expand. Build a business. Systems. Etc college cannot hurt. Landscape design, aquatic planting a, turf management, Eco system and soil analysis for drainage, lawns, etc. that is all stuff college can help you with.

And then there is the connections you make in college, the confidence you may have in your self. Etc.

I didn't go to college. I don't regret it. But I won't tell someone not to.

I'm not ignorant. I realize just because someone doesn't agree with my way of thought doesn't mean they're an idiot.
Posted via Mobile Device