Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

First full day working after 6.5 months of laying in bed

Feels good to be sore again. The whole month of November I was in a wheel chair then the the next 5 months I was either laying in bed or using a walker. Doctors told me not to work and wait for the final xray which comes up next week and praying I can walk home while putting 100% of my weight on my right femur. It was hard finding a new worker since my best friend died on his Harely after seeing me at the hospital and have a few good friends that are helping me out with my business.

I mostly dragged my leg or limped while trimming plants and using the chainsaw on light stuff. Picked up sticks etc while my worker was blowing the leaves. Previous customers and a new customer from craigslist that I posted on here have been patient during the snow removal and spring cleanups. I hope no one has to go through what I have gone through. Really broke but working hard to regain the 6-7 months I lost. oddly after hitting my head on the guard rail from the accident I don't get headaches anymore and my leg doesn't have any pain yet with the 24 inch Titanium rod. Hope everybody has a good year. Sadly I got tired after only 15 mins and laid in the truck but keep getting out and fighting but keep returning to the truck to catch my breath.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you regain your strength and endurance. May take some time. Best wishes.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fight the good fight. Every minute. Every day.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

God Bless, My Friend. Im sure it will be a great year for ya!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm 30 and feel like a 70 year old. Nervous next week I hope the bone grew over the rod and connected to the other part of the Femur. I lost about 1inch of bone that got crush during the impact basically shattered into a Million pieces. Surgeon had to measure both legs and make sure they were at the right measurements. Laying on the ground after hitting a guard rail (55-65MPH) with my body (no helmet) I thought I was going to die or was paralyzed. Laying on the ground looking up and all I could see is black and I couldn't move any part of my body. Life is short and fragile so everybody be thankful for being alive. I didn't believe in God or whoever created us but more into faith after all of this. Later guys.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 04-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
I'm 30 and feel like a 70 year old. Nervous next week I hope the bone grew over the rod and connected to the other part of the Femur. I lost about 1inch of bone that got crush during the impact basically shattered into a Million pieces. Surgeon had to measure both legs and make sure they were at the right measurements. Laying on the ground after hitting a guard rail (55-65MPH) with my body (no helmet) I thought I was going to die or was paralyzed. Laying on the ground looking up and all I could see is black and I couldn't move any part of my body. Life is short and fragile so everybody be thankful for being alive. I didn't believe in God or whoever created us but more into faith after all of this. Later guys.
Amazing story man! You should be so thankful you are alive. Not even 1% of would people survive that.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
I well remember your last thread about all this. I'm glad you were able to at least get out a little while. Don't rush it. All you'll do is end up going nowhere fast. take the time needed to heal now, or fight it the rest of your days here. It'll come back to you quick enough, you're young yet. I'm hoping you get a good medical report, and i'm sure that either way, but especially if you do, you'll be back in shape in a lot less time than you think you will right now.

I'm not going to preach to anyone, or tell them what to believe, but I do believe in God. Maybe this was your wake up call. Who knows for sure, but it seems he spared your life for a reason. Try to figure that out, and then capitalize on it.

Good luck this season, and especially with your upcoming medical report.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For fear of getting all judgmental I won't ask, so lets just say I wish you good luck.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you can use yoga to your advantage. It allows you to reach your potential in many ways, helps strengthen the nervous, muscular, respitory, and circulatory systems, and brings you peace of mind!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I belong to the same club that you now belong to.

Begining when I was 11 years old (in 1965) I started growing up fast. It was fast street bikes from Hondas to Harleys, and muscle cars, during and after that. Now, at 60 years old, I am completely mystified as to how and why I'm still here.

I've always been the type "A" personality that had to push everything to it's limits, and sometimes beyond. I was big on riding 100+ mph wheelies and on to the top end of 155 on my 1984 Honda V65. By the way, what's crazy (as the street bike riders know) a 155 mph top end is slow by today's standards.

I now look back and absolutely cannot believe that one little thing (out of several hundred) didn't go wrong. All it would have taken.... would be just one.....one out of an endless list of things that could go wrong....just slightly. By the way, I now understand why all of my friends said (throughout the years) that I must have had a "Guardian Angel" on my shoulder.

During and after the bikes came my muscle car era, and there are a lot of stories I could go on and on about.... my close calls that should have taken me out, but I won't. I'll just say that we should be thankful we're still here, when so many people that have lived as carefully as one can possibly be, are in the graveyard.

Best of wishes, take care of yourself.
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 04-11-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: clarity