Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Trying to get my certificate.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Noe Garay and I run a small business and at the same time I am trying to get my certification in "Landscaping Technology".
In order for me to pass my forth lesson "Research Project" I have to elaborate a questionnaire with some questions that basically are focused from the administrative structure stand point.
I really will appreciate your help answering all or some of the questions.

Informational Interview Questions.
1. What is your title?
2. What services does your company provide?
3. How long has your company been in business?
4. What are other titles or positions you have in the company?
5. What degree or certificate do employers look for?
6. What educational program is recommended as preparation?
7. How did you get started in this business?
8. What do you find most rewarding about your job?
9. What are the most challenging aspects of you company?
10. Which skills are most import to acquire?
11. What other kind of workers or companies frequently interact with your company?
12. What are some related occupations?
13. What does your company think about Sustainable Landscaping?
14. Is your company providing or adopting any sustainable landscaping practices?
15. Does a worker have a set schedule or the hours flexible?
16. How many hours an advisor-manager work?
17. What sort of education does an advisor-manager have?
18. What are the demands, pressures and frustrations that typically accompany the work of an advisor-manager and your company?
19. What are the satisfying aspects of the advisor-manager and of your company?
20. How can determinate that an advisor or managers have the ability or potential to be successful in this specific position?
21. Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in the business?
22. What are the different salary ranges?
Thanks in advance. Noe Garay
Old 04-10-2014, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noegaray View Post
Let me introduce myself, my name is Noe Garay and I run a small business and at the same time I am trying to get my certification in "Landscaping Technology".
In order for me to pass my forth lesson "Research Project" I have to elaborate a questionnaire with some questions that basically are focused from the administrative structure stand point.
I really will appreciate your help answering all or some of the questions.

Informational Interview Questions.
1. What is your title?
2. What services does your company provide?
3. How long has your company been in business?
4. What are other titles or positions you have in the company?
5. What degree or certificate do employers look for?
6. What educational program is recommended as preparation?
7. How did you get started in this business?
8. What do you find most rewarding about your job?
9. What are the most challenging aspects of you company?
10. Which skills are most import to acquire?
11. What other kind of workers or companies frequently interact with your company?
12. What are some related occupations?
13. What does your company think about Sustainable Landscaping?
14. Is your company providing or adopting any sustainable landscaping practices?
15. Does a worker have a set schedule or the hours flexible?
16. How many hours an advisor-manager work?
17. What sort of education does an advisor-manager have?
18. What are the demands, pressures and frustrations that typically accompany the work of an advisor-manager and your company?
19. What are the satisfying aspects of the advisor-manager and of your company?
20. How can determinate that an advisor or managers have the ability or potential to be successful in this specific position?
21. Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in the business?
22. What are the different salary ranges?
Thanks in advance. Noe Garay
No offense, these are some of the dumbest things students are being asked to do lately. I Have gotten at least three phone calls for similar requests from Ag students just this year (UAA is a big Green School)

Whatever the curriculum is for these new wave landscape degree programs, they are dumb.
Are they looking for an essay for most of these individual questions? sheeesh. o any of the professors who came up with this have any experience IN the profession?

1. What is your title? I have several. Estimator, Designer, Manager, Consultant
2. What services does your company provide?Landscape Design, Build and Maintenance
3. How long has your company been in business?Founded 1987
4. What are other titles or positions you have in the company?General Manager, Office Manager, Office Assistant I, Office Assistant II, Foreman, Crew Lead, Operator, Driver, Laborer
5. What degree or certificate do employers look for? Landscape Architecture is nice, horticulture, arboriculture,are both useful, but verifiable experience carries more weight than all of these
6. What educational program is recommended as preparation? field experience
7. How did you get started in this business? 1989, got a job chasing a wheel barrow and pulling a rake
8. What do you find most rewarding about your job?too varied to answer quickly or easily
9. What are the most challenging aspects of you company?see answer to number 8
10. Which skills are most import to acquire? estimating, plan reading, machine operation, work ethic
11. What other kind of workers or companies frequently interact with your company? see answer to number 8
12. What are some related occupations? there aren't any
13. What does your company think about Sustainable Landscaping?this is a straight up dumb question.. 'sustainable landscaping', IS Landscaping, people magicked up this new term to sound all progressive when they are trying to act like there was something wrong with proper landscape practices in the first place, and there never was… the issues 'sustainable Landscaping' is trying to address were never issues in our industry, they were/are issues in property development and construction
14. Is your company providing or adopting any sustainable landscaping practices? have long before it was a 'trendy' word
15. Does a worker have a set schedule or the hours flexible? yes
16. How many hours an advisor-manager work?35-50 depending on season
17. What sort of education does an advisor-manager have? varies, but verifiable field experience is far more important than formal education
18. What are the demands, pressures and frustrations that typically accompany the work of an advisor-manager and your company? see answer to number 8
19. What are the satisfying aspects of the advisor-manager and of your company? see answer to number 8
20. How can determinate that an advisor or managers have the ability or potential to be successful in this specific position? verify work history/ experience
21. Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in the business? yes
22. What are the different salary ranges? varies widely depending on company gross, and individual responsibilities… 36,000 -120,000 annually.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I really do appreciate your time to comment. I understand that the best schooling is to work outdoors to gain the experience and wisdom.
Thanks again for sharing your experience, it is going to be a big help.
Noe Garay