The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I rest my case.

Sorry -- couldn't let it pass.
So..............whats your case?????????????

If the OPs only desire is to be a LCO Id say forget College.

Guess we need to hear from the OP???
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
LOL...you're talking about less than 1% of the business.

Most lawn care businesses are maintenance, basic landscape, and basic lawn treatment.

Any idiot can measure and put down mulch or mow a lawn. Any idiot can measure out a ratio of water to chemical. You're deluding yourself if you think there's much more to it than that. There isn't.

If you want to be the head greens keeper at Augusta National then by all means go ahead and try. You'll probably end up at the local hack course making a crap wage.

I've built patios, decks, pergolas, fences....crap that would amaze you. How did I ever do it without college? I just did it. That's how.

Kids these days must be ignorant. I can't even comprehend why anyone would even consider college if this is the business they want to pursue. What an absolute waste of 4 years and 50 grand.
If anybody can do it why are we even needed? That is not less than 1% of the business. It is 99% of it. If you make 99% of your money mowing, then you are doing everything wrong. Mowing keeps you busy when you are not doing big jobs, it is not the money maker here.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Roger what we do is not all that hard, making a living at it is .

A college Degree to become a LCO is a waist.

But with the OP Fresh out of High School my plan of a 2 year Junior College Degree in 3 years keeps all future options open. Not to mention theres a lot of GIRLS in College.
Exactly. Just want to throw out that you could get a career ending injury any day. If you don't have the education to back you up in that situation, you will never get a good paying job. plus like you said, colleges are full of opportunities with girls. You can always go out there and buy a mower and start a lawn care business but you might only have one chance to go to college. choose wisely.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

hey man i graduated high school last year but i have been working for my dad since i was 14 or 15 and he plans to retire in the next couple years and pass it down to me. I am in my second semester of doing a 2 year degree for applied business and entrepreneurialism and honestly I have learned quite a few things that I have already used to change the business up but I'm not gonna lie, the things i have learned i probably could have learned online just researching business stuff or maybe going to a boces school for some business classes. I think what class for me is really gonna help is accounting so i can start doing the bookwork soon. I go to school tuesday and thursday and work monday wednesday friday and saturday. next semester i'm going tuesday thursday night classes so I'll be able to work mon-fri. I wouldn't live on campus if you plan to continue with the business. And DONT partner with a friend. It never works out, but if he doesnt wanna do it as a career I would own it for yourself and continue working together. I have friends that work for me as i have my own crew and it works out great, u just gotta remember not to boss em around too much.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys sorry I haven't responded in a while. To answer your questions, I want to learn more about the actual landscape aspect, turf management, masonry, basically all the technical stuff that the average kid can't just go out and do and know all about. I want to seperate myself from the kids who just cut grass and eventually become one of the big contractors in my area. I'd also like to learn certain things about the business aspect (billing, maintaining clients, running a crew, etc). As far as interacting with clients I'm already very confident, and I do it a lot. We have a good amount of clients and are constantly getting calls for more work, and I'm the one who talks to everyone. My partner likes to let me do the talking. I've never had a problem talking to people since i started mowing lawns on my street when i was in 6th grade. I know people always advise against having partners, but my partner is great for connections, and we work well together. His dad is the head of the Department of Public Works in our town, so he knows everyone, and I mean EVERYONE. Hes very close with a bunch of the landscape, site development, excavating, etc. contractors in the area, and this has really been a great advantage to us. One huge site development company in particular gave us a barely used heavy duty dump trailer for $300 for example, and that one piece of equipment has made our lives so much easier when doing the basic landscaping jobs that we do and cleanups. We are able to talk to local landscaping/lawn care company owners when we have questions about pricing or equipment or whatever, and that's been really helpful too. We even dump for free at the dump and also have access to it after hours. There's just a ton of things that i wouldn't have to grow a better business if I didn't partner up with him. To answer the other question about college, I agree with a lot of the guys on here saying that I shouldnt need a degree to be successful in this business. But the thing you have to understand is that my dad came from nothing when his family moved here from Italy, and he worked his ass off to put himself through school and to get where he is today. He made a ton of sacrifices to give his kids the opportunity to go to college and have a good life, which included moving away from his friends and family to where we live now because the public school system here is considered one of the best in the country. If I didn't go to any sort of school after high school it would be a huge slap in the face to my dad, so just keep that in mind. I'm sure some of you guys could relate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Sponsor

Other than your preoccupation with sharing your story about your father and how much he had to sacrifice to achieve the life he has worked very hard to realize, what is the real purpose if any of your original post?
One day you may discover that the amount of emotional capital you have squandered trying to figure out what you were going to do at the present was really very silly.
Although many members have attempted to advise you based on what they would do or what you should do in the final Annalise no one can pimp them selfs better than you can.
I still believe you need a plan going forward. Until you make up your mind you will remain in a holding pattern
and that time spent can not be recovered. Try to stop beating yourself up about meeting other family members expectations for your professional life going forward. This to is squandering time you can never recover.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do they not teach kids these days how to use paragraphs? Or is that a college course now?

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Other than your preoccupation with sharing your story about your father and how much he had to sacrifice to achieve the life he has worked very hard to realize, what is the real purpose if any of your original post?
One day you may discover that the amount of emotional capital you have squandered trying to figure out what you were going to do at the present was really very silly.
Although many members have attempted to advise you based on what they would do or what you should do in the final Annalise no one can pimp them selfs better than you can.
I still believe you need a plan going forward. Until you make up your mind you will remain in a holding pattern
and that time spent can not be recovered. Try to stop beating yourself up about meeting other family members expectations for your professional life going forward. This to is squandering time you can never recover.
easy-lift guy
The purpose of this post is to get advice on what I should do after I graduate to gain the knowledge/ experience to grow a more successful and professional landscaping business. I've got some good advice from you in particular that I'm going to take into account
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Do they not teach kids these days how to use paragraphs? Or is that a college course now?
Yea they do but I wasn't expecting to be graded on my writing format on a post in a forum that i typed on my phone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyz1 View Post
hey man i graduated high school last year but i have been working for my dad since i was 14 or 15 and he plans to retire in the next couple years and pass it down to me. I am in my second semester of doing a 2 year degree for applied business and entrepreneurialism and honestly I have learned quite a few things that I have already used to change the business up but I'm not gonna lie, the things i have learned i probably could have learned online just researching business stuff or maybe going to a boces school for some business classes. I think what class for me is really gonna help is accounting so i can start doing the bookwork soon. I go to school tuesday and thursday and work monday wednesday friday and saturday. next semester i'm going tuesday thursday night classes so I'll be able to work mon-fri. I wouldn't live on campus if you plan to continue with the business. And DONT partner with a friend. It never works out, but if he doesnt wanna do it as a career I would own it for yourself and continue working together. I have friends that work for me as i have my own crew and it works out great, u just gotta remember not to boss em around too much.
Nice sounds like you got a pretty good plan. The thing about living on campus is the school i was going to most likely commit to is 30 min from home, and my partner is probably going with me. His dad offered to run the business during the week and we were hoping to come home on weekends to work. My partner doesn't really seem like he wants to make a career out of the business, so maybe eventually I could buy his half of the equipment and whatnot out and have it be mine. We haven't discussed any of that yet though we've only been working for each other for a little over a year
Posted via Mobile Device