Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
Sometimes the best decision is to not raise the price and gain a customer. Reputation is key because if I tried to hike the price up she would tell everyone that zack will tell you one price and then try to hike it up. No matter if that's the exact case or circumstances she's gonna tell everybody she knows and I have no idea how many people she knows you just never know. Sometimes it's best to play it safe I make plenty of money already.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would have to agree with this statement, especially when they're ready to hire.

It would be a different story if a customer calls for yet another quote, we get a few every year, they call every year for a quote... And then, nothing... You want to raise these folks a higher quote, but I wouldn't do it to the one that's ready to hire you... Heck I have a customer who dropped me years ago (I mean I'm thinking 5, 6, 7?) and they just called to hire us back, guess what, same price.

No doubt, why play games with the people who are ready wallet in hand.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an underlying sound of desperation to these replies...

"Why play games with people who are already wallet in hand?"

Well, because they are price shopping, that's why.

I thought we were all selling our services on quality?

The O.P said that he didn't need to raise the price on her because he already made plenty of money.

Well, if you are already making plenty of money, then why take somebody on that has balked at your price once before, and also discarded you for somebody cheaper.

I am rarely the one man on the opposite side of an argument, and I do not want to come across like an A hole here.... you guys know me, that is not my intention.

I come back to the "free estimate." The OP took time out of his busy schedule 3 years ago to go and give this woman a "free estimate."

When in reality, there was nothing free about it. Estimates take time.. they also take fuel... nothing is for free.

Now she calls expecting the same price and I can just see her pumping her fist on the other side of the phone when he agreed.

Look, to the OP and to those who think he should go running back, I mean no disrespect. I would raise the price. Not out of spite..... because it is a sound business decision. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one that would do this...

Can we keep the conversation going?

Again, I am happy if the OP is happy... honestly... just giving my 2 sizents...
Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
"Zack will tell you one price and then hike it up?"

3 years later?

So, you don't take rising fossil fuel prices or rising equipment prices into account?

It's not like you gave her this price last week.... twas 3 years ago!

Hey man, don't get me wrong, good for you. I am happy for you if you are happy about it...

Just trying to come at it from a different perspective. Remember, when you went the first time to give her an estimate, it was a free estimate.

She obviously didn't go with you because of price because you said that she "balked."

So, she was price shopping and she went with somebody who was less than your estimate... which was 35 dollars.

So why is she calling you now? What happened to the company that was taking care of her?

Like I said bro, all power to you. If you are happy, then I am happy... honestly.

I am just giving my honest opinion here and that is that if it were me, the price would be raised for shizzle...
think about this for a minute… how much have prices for fuel gone up lately… REALLY?
Sure they fluctuate, But I can't recall prices being any higher than the summer of 08 and summer 09. They are actually LOWER now than they were then.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
There is an underlying sound of desperation to these replies...

"Why play games with people who are already wallet in hand?"

Well, because they are price shopping, that's why.

I thought we were all selling our services on quality?

The O.P said that he didn't need to raise the price on her because he already made plenty of money.

Well, if you are already making plenty of money, then why take somebody on that has balked at your price once before, and also discarded you for somebody cheaper.

I am rarely the one man on the opposite side of an argument, and I do not want to come across like an A hole here.... you guys know me, that is not my intention.

I come back to the "free estimate." The OP took time out of his busy schedule 3 years ago to go and give this woman a "free estimate."

When in reality, there was nothing free about it. Estimates take time.. they also take fuel... nothing is for free.

Now she calls expecting the same price and I can just see her pumping her fist on the other side of the phone when he agreed.

Look, to the OP and to those who think he should go running back, I mean no disrespect. I would raise the price. Not out of spite..... because it is a sound business decision. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one that would do this...

Can we keep the conversation going?

Again, I am happy if the OP is happy... honestly... just giving my 2 sizents...
also who's to say she hasnt added flower beds, a fence and a full blown obstacle course?
might not even BE the same lawn anymore.

you totally need to re-estimate it.

All my prices are good for 30 days…says so on the estimate… after that it's a dead thing.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a small lawn did the first cut today. Took 20 mins in and out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This is a small lawn did the first cut today. Took 20 mins in and out
Posted via Mobile Device
and an hour to drive to it?

sorry couldn't resist
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope it works nice on my Friday route
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Nope it works nice on my Friday route
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd still bump the price a few bucks, but if it works for you, that's all that matters.

I have a $25 lawn that I do every other week. I really don't give a crap what all the "I don't drop my gate for less than sixty dollars" guys say - it's on my way between two other jobs and takes me literally 12 minutes from the time I turn off the ignition until I put the key back in to leave - includes mowing, trimming, and blowing.

I wouldn't take a job like that otherwise, but it's easy and it fits in my schedule.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool, I'm glad it worked out for you Zachybra.... Honestly...

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade... really.... Wasn't trying to jack your thread either...

I am just interested in this issue.

As others have noted, it seems to me that you would be hard pressed to find many things in life (especially service based things) that have decreased in value in the last 3 years...

Now, I'm not saying that that is a reason to charge more, nor I am saying that she should be charged more out of spite because she didn't take you in the first place.

I just wanted to dig a little deeper and see if we could find out why she chose not to go with you 3 years ago. Why did she choose another company? Could it be that her nephew was working for company X so she decided to give them her business? Could it be that her husband decided to do it? Could it be that she went with Xtreme Lawn Care because she is a base jumping junkie and just liked the name?

Of course, it could be all those things..... But do you know what? I bet the reason is a lot more simple than any of those scenarios. I bet somebody bid her at 30 and she decided to go with them to save herself 5 dollars. Hey, who knows? Maybe they even threw in the first cut for free!

I bet that after the first or second year they raised it to 35 and she had no problem paying because they were doing a good job... But wait a second..... Just a month ago she gets a letter or email from the owner saying that the price is going up to 40.00... "Forty Dollars!!!!!" She says. "Well, we'll just see about that!"

So that is when she called you to see if 35 was still on the line.... which of course it was.... So, the price shopper wins!!!! 3 years of lawn service and she has saved herself 5 dollars! Twice!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Cool, I'm glad it worked out for you Zachybra.... Honestly...

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade... really.... Wasn't trying to jack your thread either...

I am just interested in this issue.

As others have noted, it seems to me that you would be hard pressed to find many things in life (especially service based things) that have decreased in value in the last 3 years...

Now, I'm not saying that that is a reason to charge more, nor I am saying that she should be charged more out of spite because she didn't take you in the first place.

I just wanted to dig a little deeper and see if we could find out why she chose not to go with you 3 years ago. Why did she choose another company? Could it be that her nephew was working for company X so she decided to give them her business? Could it be that her husband decided to do it? Could it be that she went with Xtreme Lawn Care because she is a base jumping junkie and just liked the name?

Of course, it could be all those things..... But do you know what? I bet the reason is a lot more simple than any of those scenarios. I bet somebody bid her at 30 and she decided to go with them to save herself 5 dollars. Hey, who knows? Maybe they even threw in the first cut for free!

I bet that after the first or second year they raised it to 35 and she had no problem paying because they were doing a good job... But wait a second..... Just a month ago she gets a letter or email from the owner saying that the price is going up to 40.00... "Forty Dollars!!!!!" She says. "Well, we'll just see about that!"

So that is when she called you to see if 35 was still on the line.... which of course it was.... So, the price shopper wins!!!! 3 years of lawn service and she has saved herself 5 dollars! Twice!
I honestly don't care what she did before. All I know is I have an extra $140 a month in my pocket. I thank god everyday I work for myself everyday and make more than enough to support me and my wife. I'm not bragging just being honest I make a lot of money without even a high school education and having to answer to a boss. I hate bosses. I'll take what I can get because I'm humble and proud to be working for myself making my own money. I'm living the American dream folks and I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys can relate to that
Posted via Mobile Device