Bad Boy CZT Elite 0 0%
Gravely Pro-Turn 14 58.33%
Husqvarna M-ZT 1 4.17%
Ferris IS 700Z 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Which ZTR?

I'm fairly new to the ZTR game and have been doing some research on a few mowers. I had a Husqvarna ZTR with a stamped deck and that puppy cracked after 2 years. So, now I'm looking to step it up to a more commercial style mower.

I'm looking at the Hustler Fastrak, Hustler Fastrak SD, Kubota Z125S, eXmark Pioneer S-Series, Bad Boy CZT Elite, Gravely Pro-Turn, Husqvarna M-ZT, and Ferris IS 700Z. I realize that is a big list, but I just started the search this week.

In my head I'm seriously considering Hustler, eXmark, or the Ferris (mainly this one), but I'm open to opinions on all of these. I have a Hustler, eXmark, and Gravely dealer within 20 minutes of me. The closest Ferris dealer is an hour away.

I'm looking at a 52"-54" deck and wanting to keep it at $6000 or less. Obviously less if I can help it.

Are the larger tires really that big of an improvement? Does the suspension help on the Ferris to compensate for the smaller tires compared to the others? Do I really need a Kawasaki engine or will the Briggs and Stratton on the Ferris be good enough for me considering it will be doing 5 acres or less a week.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First off where do you do biz? Type of grasses plays a big part.

Being biased up here, Gravely to me is the way to go of your list. You can pick up a Pro Turn 152 for about $6500 which is just a tad over your budget. Or you could check out the Pro Turn 52 which is almost as beefy.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gravely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in South Arkansas. Primarily St. Augistine and Bermuda.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

of all those mowers, i've only ever used the gravely. (prefer scag, toro, and walker) it mowed just fine, seemed well built for the 3 days I used it.

Be careful with those bad boy mowers, the one I used had this terrible electric deck raise/lower thing. It wouldn't raise above 3 3/4 inches! It just wasn't designed for it, and mechanically it wouldnt get near 4 inches or more.

We couldnt use the mower on anything that was st augustine or "maintained" because it would just scalp the crap outta it.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
of all those mowers, i've only ever used the gravely. (prefer scag, toro, and walker) it mowed just fine, seemed well built for the 3 days I used it.

Be careful with those bad boy mowers, the one I used had this terrible electric deck raise/lower thing. It wouldn't raise above 3 3/4 inches! It just wasn't designed for it, and mechanically it wouldnt get near 4 inches or more.

We couldnt use the mower on anything that was st augustine or "maintained" because it would just scalp the crap outta it.
Yes, I've about ruled Bad Boy out. I really wanted to buy from an Arkansas company since that is where I'm located, but they have gotten terrible reviews online. On paper they are great, but it seems real world experience not so much.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

A family member just bought a Kubota 125S. I demoed it last weekend and was not impressed. I felt the quality resembled a resisdential box store John Deere. Although I think this was the market it was made to compete in, I feel the gravely pro turn is far superior in IMO.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No scag on the list ??
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't rule out the used market.

Over the last two years I purchased a Steiner 230 (28 HP) and a Kubota ZD326p (26 HP) for under $5600.00 each. Both with 60" decks and diesel. The Kubota even has a collection system. The Steiner will mow anything terrain wise and stripes great, see photo. The Kubota can cut close to 5 acres an hour on flat dry turf. The Steiner can cut nearly any terrain at 4.5 acres per hour. And they use less than a gallon of diesel per hour at WOT. Just another perspective to consider especially if you want high end, durable equipment for less.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssolutions View Post
Over the last two years I purchased a Steiner 230 (28 HP) and a Kubota ZD326p (26 HP) for under $5600.00 each. Both with 60" decks and diesel. The Kubota even has a collection system. The Steiner will mow anything terrain wise and stripes great, see photo. The Kubota can cut close to 5 acres an hour on flat dry turf. The Steiner can cut nearly any terrain at 4.5 acres per hour. And they use less than a gallon of diesel per hour at WOT. Just another perspective to consider especially if you want high end, durable equipment for less.
How did you get a ZD326 for under $5600? Those are a $15,000 machine according to the Kubota site.