Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
We call em poke-n-killyas, or devil bush for short.

Only thing I hate almost as much as those are the small palms with the looong skinny needles towards the base of the frand. They poke through any gloves I wear, and every poke gets infected.
Yep. Pain Palms available in multi trunk variety for maximum enjoyment. Full leather gloves for those. Those thorns aim for that tender spot right between your fingers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow I definitely like where i live. you guys have warmer weather but the rest is better up here as far as dangerous bugs and animals lol i landscaped once for my uncle down in valrico (45 mins out of tampa), first time ive ever seen a poisonous snake, well actually first time seeing a poisionous anything. i didnt even realize it until he rode by on the mower yelling at me while i almost weedwacked into a poisonous snake. scared the **** out of me. i saw so many huge spiders too. up here i see a few garder snakes a year and thats it. they dont bother me.

i suppose im a little different than most, snakes up here dont bother me, but if theres a big spider on my mower ill jump like a little *****
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Does it taste like chicken?
Kinda. Its bit more gamey though. I made bacon wrapped rattle snake for a jeep club bbq a few years ago. Turned out well. This year I may do smoked python fillet... all can be purchased at the flagship store of the biggest grocery store in the area.

If they arent poisonous, I let them go. Come to think of it, I have never seen a poisonous one in a customers property....
Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Kinda. Its bit more gamey though. I made bacon wrapped rattle snake for a jeep club bbq a few years ago. Turned out well. This year I may do smoked python fillet... all can be purchased at the flagship store of the biggest grocery store in the area.

If they arent poisonous, I let them go. Come to think of it, I have never seen a poisonous one in a customers property....
If you like Python come and take your fill. They are non native ,invasive and multiplying. One got big enough to try and eat a gator. It split the snakes side out. No poison but still dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
If you like Python come and take your fill. They are non native ,invasive and multiplying. One got big enough to try and eat a gator. It split the snakes side out. No poison but still dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
I actually just read an article on how bad the Bermiese Pythons are down there. How they are damaging the eco system and generally causing havoc. Sadly, I don't see the problem going away...
Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
I actually just read an article on how bad the Bermiese Pythons are down there. How they are damaging the eco system and generally causing havoc. Sadly, I don't see the problem going away...
They tried a mass hunt that failed miserably. Its not like you just walk into the everglades and start scooping them up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bump to state that this season has been a complete bust compared to last season.
I've only seen TWO so far this year. One a month ago (which I have photos of to upload somewhere) and one today.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

First post and it is about snakes. I love all things natural and see beauty in all living things.
Except wasps and yellow jackets . . . . .
I let 'em all (snakes) go. I kill the wasps and yellow jackets.
I try to relocate the poisonous ones. Gotta be careful.
Saw two today. A copperhead (beautiful creature) and a ribbon snake. The copperhead got away before I could capture him. The ribbon snake I brought home to my 21 year old daughter.
I figure if I see a snake on the job, that is a bonus!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon K. View Post
First post and it is about snakes. I love all things natural and see beauty in all living things.
Except wasps and yellow jackets . . . . .
I let 'em all (snakes) go. I kill the wasps and yellow jackets.
I try to relocate the poisonous ones. Gotta be careful.
Saw two today. A copperhead (beautiful creature) and a ribbon snake. The copperhead got away before I could capture him. The ribbon snake I brought home to my 21 year old daughter.
I figure if I see a snake on the job, that is a bonus!
Same here. I enjoy running into critters on the job - makes the day more interesting.

Welcome to the forum, crazy snake dude.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got to agree...been seeing an unusually great number of snakes this summer and still into October.