Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Angie called me today asking for my customer list. I laughed out loud on the phoneand told them i heard what they do. Shehad no answer so i hung up
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Oh yeah... and after I said I'd come out to give an estimate, she started talking, then abruptly stopped and said, "Is that a FREE estimate?"

Yeah, I feel bad for whoever gets that account.
Yuck - the worst of the worst !. I get the creeps thinking about those type of customers. I picture a single old smelly cat lady in my head
Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Angie called me today asking for my customer list. I laughed out loud on the phoneand told them i heard what they do. Shehad no answer so i hung up
sweet ! never give em the numbers. ppl will review if they want right?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
Yuck - the worst of the worst !. I get the creeps thinking about those type of customers. I picture a single old smelly cat lady in my head
I drove by today since I was in the area. Just wanted to see the property in person. I saw a woman out in the yard with a leaf rake. Looked younger than I had imagined. Then I saw the 15' steep slope with a fence RIGHT at the bottom that ran along the side of the house. What a nightmare to cut a slope with a fence at the bottom. Oh, and the lawn looked like it needed cut. I'm sure she would say it doesn't, but give it another week and it will be a mess to cut.
Glad I missed out on this one even more now.

Quote:
sweet ! never give em the numbers. ppl will review if they want right?
You'd be surprised how many will give you high praise in person, yet neglect to ever give a review even after having found you on Angie's List and seeing all of your other good reviews.

It's human nature to put more effort into complaining than giving a compliment. You can't expect that they will give you a good review on their own - some need a gentle reminder.

I'd never give my clients info to AL though. I'd feel like crap for having them get a sales pitch to join AL.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
hm. how long have you ben involved with them ? how many super service awards are on your wall right now ? I can tell you from experience that angies list is only out for them selves , they do not practice what they preach . they are a machine set up to make money from every angle .

but for you by all means go out and drum up more busness for her , give her the phone numbers or your best customers so she can annoy them with pushy sales calls .

please don't ever ask me if "I fall short"
I wasn't asking you…. I was saying "you" as in contractors in a general sense.

Anyway, we have never paid Angie's list a dime. They are a business and they need to make sales and money like the rest of us. Yes, they can be annoying and the offers to buy into their advertising/deal/etc. can be obnoxious. I get calls and letters weekly. They push me had to spend money with them. I decline every time.

My goal with them has always been to get on that first page and stay there through quality customer reviews. NOT by paying them…

We've been with them for 3 years. Top-rated. 5 Super Service awards in the past two years. I look at it this way and I've told them this on the phone- I take advantage of their platform, their members hire us, we do great work, member receives VALUE from their Angie's list membership, member renews membership, WIN-WIN-WIN. Everyone gets value, while I pay Angie's list nothing.

Just this past week, of all our jobs, approximately 5500.00 was billed to Angie's list members. This is just Spring clean-ups/mulch. One week.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
I wasn't asking you…. I was saying "you" as in contractors in a general sense.

Anyway, we have never paid Angie's list a dime. They are a business and they need to make sales and money like the rest of us. Yes, they can be annoying and the offers to buy into their advertising/deal/etc. can be obnoxious. I get calls and letters weekly. They push me had to spend money with them. I decline every time.

My goal with them has always been to get on that first page and stay there through quality customer reviews. NOT by paying them…

We've been with them for 3 years. Top-rated. 5 Super Service awards in the past two years. I look at it this way and I've told them this on the phone- I take advantage of their platform, their members hire us, we do great work, member receives VALUE from their Angie's list membership, member renews membership, WIN-WIN-WIN. Everyone gets value, while I pay Angie's list nothing.

Just this past week, of all our jobs, approximately 5500.00 was billed to Angie's list members. This is just Spring clean-ups/mulch. One week.
As I understand it, you don't get on the "first page" just because you have good reviews, or Super Service awards. The listings rotate - unless you pay for the listing to be on the front page.
Otherwise EVERYONE would be on the "first page". All it takes is 3 good reviews to get a SS award, so it's not as though it's some "elite club" the way they make it out to be.

I wondered why I would get "spurts" of calls and I believe that happened when I was randomly listed near the top.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bunch of good reviews on Angie's list and 2 bad ones. The bad ones I had declined. I was either too busy or they are out of my service area.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
I have a bunch of good reviews on Angie's list and 2 bad ones. The bad ones I had declined. I was either too busy or they are out of my service area.
Funny. I have one glaring "F" amongst 18 "AAAA" ratings.
It came from a woman who I did an estimate for. I set up a day to go look and when I had an opening a few days before, I took the opportunity to stop and look - you know, because people generally like having things done sooner than later.
Well, I couldn't do the job - it was beyond my scope. I called and left a message.
She never returned my message, but posted a review that said that I "Made sure to come when she wasn't there" - that I "seemed sneaky".

No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Should have made her wait the extra two days.

My guess is she was burned in the past by hacks and assumes everyone else is out to do the same. I was really upset, but ultimately her review is SO polar opposite from every other review that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that she is likely way off base.

My "rep" said they couldn't do anything about the review. She suggested I call the lady to discuss it. Yeah, OK - then the nutcase would post that I tried to coerce her into changing her review. No thanks.
At least it didn't count against the stupid award since no work was performed.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
As I understand it, you don't get on the "first page" just because you have good reviews, or Super Service awards. The listings rotate - unless you pay for the listing to be on the front page.
Otherwise EVERYONE would be on the "first page". All it takes is 3 good reviews to get a SS award, so it's not as though it's some "elite club" the way they make it out to be.

I wondered why I would get "spurts" of calls and I believe that happened when I was randomly listed near the top.
Yes that's what the advertising is . You pay to be highlighted at the top of the list . Cost 3000$ a year in ny
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes that's what the advertising is . You pay to be highlighted at the top of the list . Cost 3000$ a year in ny
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know about that. I'm on the first page and it's because I have the most positive reviews.