Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM
spronk1 spronk1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I'd post this in the Snow thread but it'll be buzzed by with all the posts.

I got the fert license last year (2013), rec'd the notice for the renewal fee in the mail, however I remember hearing from a couple friends that you have to do re-cert classes the following year and then I know for sure it's every other year after that. Being as the green expo is this coming week Ifigured it'd be a perfect time to do the re-certs if needed but I can't recall if I have to do them for 2014 or not?
Posted via Mobile Device
This depends if it is your Fertilizer only license. If its just for fertilizer, you do not need to take a class or retest. Just pay the renewal fee. If it is for the pesticide applicators license - A & E - then yes, you will need to sit in one of those lovely classes this year for the renewal. If not you will have to retest and that is not fun. I know from experience. As someone stated above that most of the classes are during peak working times and I missed the class and had to retest a few years back. Will not do that ever again.
__________________
Justin Spronk
www.supremeoutdoors.com
Custom Applicators
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM
zimmatic zimmatic is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 396
Retesting is a breeze. I think everyone should retest at least 1x every 5 years. I would rather retest then sit in one of those awful classes. So boring, to long, to many stupid questions, and then those people who cant shut up and rant about some issue that is in the past. I just want to say SHUTTTT UPPPP! You can schedule the test, and be done in 2 hrs max. I go to st paul so I am home by lunch time. It is probably different for applications outside of the metro.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
cbservicesllc cbservicesllc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 84
Alright... time to jump start the warm weather conversation... what is everybody doing different this year from last year? I know I am taking the time to find experienced employees... not ones that just fall into my lap...
__________________
Ford Trucks
Exmark Mowers
Echo Power Equipment
The less fun hand stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
JContracting's Avatar
JContracting JContracting is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbservicesllc View Post
Alright... time to jump start the warm weather conversation... what is everybody doing different this year from last year? I know I am taking the time to find experienced employees... not ones that just fall into my lap...
Same. Looking to get a maintenance crew of 2 guys and an install crew of myself & 1-2 others depending on job size. The help I had last year was less than stellar and I ended up having to babysit which was not fun!

Also, making sure all hardscape materials are either delivered to the jobsite or definitely in stock at the suppliers. There's a few things I encountered that slowed us down but I can't remember them right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 AM
spronk1 spronk1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbservicesllc View Post
Alright... time to jump start the warm weather conversation... what is everybody doing different this year from last year? I know I am taking the time to find experienced employees... not ones that just fall into my lap...
Same here with the employee situation. I have cut my renewals in half to try and run everything solo again at this point. If needed I might look for a part time person 2-3 days per week. Tired of the babysitting like last few seasons.

Also eliminating some equipment and reorganizing my operation to make it more efficient.

One example is a combination trailer I purchased from Midsota manufacturing. Its a flatbed with a dump. Here is a link.

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Flat...earDumpTrailer


It will be just like the Gooseneck in the 3rd/4th picture only with a tandem axle versus triple. Goosneck with 10' flat, 10' dump with 2 side ramps on the flat area. This will help me eliminate having 2 trucks at each site for spring/fall cleanups and also no need to unhook/rehook a trailer at the dump site.

Also, working on increasing the "Extras" such as aeration, dethatching, fertilizer for mowing customers. Need to eliminate the mow only customers.

Getting a little anxious to get started with the spring though. This winter can end at anytime.
__________________
Justin Spronk
www.supremeoutdoors.com
Custom Applicators
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 AM
cbservicesllc cbservicesllc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by spronk1 View Post
Same here with the employee situation. I have cut my renewals in half to try and run everything solo again at this point. If needed I might look for a part time person 2-3 days per week. Tired of the babysitting like last few seasons.

Also eliminating some equipment and reorganizing my operation to make it more efficient.

One example is a combination trailer I purchased from Midsota manufacturing. Its a flatbed with a dump. Here is a link.

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Flat...earDumpTrailer


It will be just like the Gooseneck in the 3rd/4th picture only with a tandem axle versus triple. Goosneck with 10' flat, 10' dump with 2 side ramps on the flat area. This will help me eliminate having 2 trucks at each site for spring/fall cleanups and also no need to unhook/rehook a trailer at the dump site.

Also, working on increasing the "Extras" such as aeration, dethatching, fertilizer for mowing customers. Need to eliminate the mow only customers.

Getting a little anxious to get started with the spring though. This winter can end at anytime.
I've seen that trailer set up before... interested to hear how it works for you this season... hopefully that snow doesn't set up over us tomorrow!
__________________
Ford Trucks
Exmark Mowers
Echo Power Equipment
The less fun hand stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:13 AM
spronk1 spronk1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbservicesllc View Post
I've seen that trailer set up before... interested to hear how it works for you this season... hopefully that snow doesn't set up over us tomorrow!
I will post an update on it once I get it all set up with the equipment and in use. Very excited. Supposed to be at the dealer by the end of next week.

Forecast changed back down to less than 1 for us as of now.
__________________
Justin Spronk
www.supremeoutdoors.com
Custom Applicators
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM
spronk1 spronk1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 49
Getting Nervous and a little anxiety. I have a handful of properties that are currently ready to go for cleanups and will have several more by the first part of next week. Problem is the custom trailer I ordered 9 weeks ago is not ready. Was supposed to be ready by last week of March. Dealer effed it up and I was just told 2-3 weeks minimum before its ready with an estimated ready date of last week of April. Now I'm screwed as I sold my 2 other trailers this winter to pay for the new one. Only trailer I have left is a little dinky 5'x 10'. What good does that do me. Nothing.

Dealer is "supposedly" working on it and will get me a temp trailer until mine is ready but was told they don't even have a dump trailer on the lot.
__________________
Justin Spronk
www.supremeoutdoors.com
Custom Applicators
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM
qualitycut qualitycut is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Inver Grove, Mn
Posts: 102
I may have some work to sub out in st Paul/Minneapolis. Jobs consist of approximately 2800 sq ft of sod, 180 feet of edging an 4-5 yards of mulch. Lots will be graded. If interested message me a ball park price on these. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM
JContracting's Avatar
JContracting JContracting is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 1,719
As in downtown Minneapolis or St Paul?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
landscape , lawn , maintenance , minnesota , network

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.09580 seconds with 10 queries