Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I'd post this in the Snow thread but it'll be buzzed by with all the posts.

I got the fert license last year (2013), rec'd the notice for the renewal fee in the mail, however I remember hearing from a couple friends that you have to do re-cert classes the following year and then I know for sure it's every other year after that. Being as the green expo is this coming week Ifigured it'd be a perfect time to do the re-certs if needed but I can't recall if I have to do them for 2014 or not?
Posted via Mobile Device
This depends if it is your Fertilizer only license. If its just for fertilizer, you do not need to take a class or retest. Just pay the renewal fee. If it is for the pesticide applicators license - A & E - then yes, you will need to sit in one of those lovely classes this year for the renewal. If not you will have to retest and that is not fun. I know from experience. As someone stated above that most of the classes are during peak working times and I missed the class and had to retest a few years back. Will not do that ever again.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Retesting is a breeze. I think everyone should retest at least 1x every 5 years. I would rather retest then sit in one of those awful classes. So boring, to long, to many stupid questions, and then those people who cant shut up and rant about some issue that is in the past. I just want to say SHUTTTT UPPPP! You can schedule the test, and be done in 2 hrs max. I go to st paul so I am home by lunch time. It is probably different for applications outside of the metro.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright... time to jump start the warm weather conversation... what is everybody doing different this year from last year? I know I am taking the time to find experienced employees... not ones that just fall into my lap...
The less fun hand stuff...
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbservicesllc View Post
Alright... time to jump start the warm weather conversation... what is everybody doing different this year from last year? I know I am taking the time to find experienced employees... not ones that just fall into my lap...
Same. Looking to get a maintenance crew of 2 guys and an install crew of myself & 1-2 others depending on job size. The help I had last year was less than stellar and I ended up having to babysit which was not fun!

Also, making sure all hardscape materials are either delivered to the jobsite or definitely in stock at the suppliers. There's a few things I encountered that slowed us down but I can't remember them right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Same here with the employee situation. I have cut my renewals in half to try and run everything solo again at this point. If needed I might look for a part time person 2-3 days per week. Tired of the babysitting like last few seasons.

Also eliminating some equipment and reorganizing my operation to make it more efficient.

One example is a combination trailer I purchased from Midsota manufacturing. Its a flatbed with a dump. Here is a link.

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Flat...earDumpTrailer

It will be just like the Gooseneck in the 3rd/4th picture only with a tandem axle versus triple. Goosneck with 10' flat, 10' dump with 2 side ramps on the flat area. This will help me eliminate having 2 trucks at each site for spring/fall cleanups and also no need to unhook/rehook a trailer at the dump site.

Also, working on increasing the "Extras" such as aeration, dethatching, fertilizer for mowing customers. Need to eliminate the mow only customers.

Getting a little anxious to get started with the spring though. This winter can end at anytime.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spronk1 View Post
Same here with the employee situation. I have cut my renewals in half to try and run everything solo again at this point. If needed I might look for a part time person 2-3 days per week. Tired of the babysitting like last few seasons.

Also eliminating some equipment and reorganizing my operation to make it more efficient.

One example is a combination trailer I purchased from Midsota manufacturing. Its a flatbed with a dump. Here is a link.

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Flat...earDumpTrailer

It will be just like the Gooseneck in the 3rd/4th picture only with a tandem axle versus triple. Goosneck with 10' flat, 10' dump with 2 side ramps on the flat area. This will help me eliminate having 2 trucks at each site for spring/fall cleanups and also no need to unhook/rehook a trailer at the dump site.

Also, working on increasing the "Extras" such as aeration, dethatching, fertilizer for mowing customers. Need to eliminate the mow only customers.

Getting a little anxious to get started with the spring though. This winter can end at anytime.
I've seen that trailer set up before... interested to hear how it works for you this season... hopefully that snow doesn't set up over us tomorrow!
The less fun hand stuff...
Old 03-27-2014, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I've seen that trailer set up before... interested to hear how it works for you this season... hopefully that snow doesn't set up over us tomorrow!
I will post an update on it once I get it all set up with the equipment and in use. Very excited. Supposed to be at the dealer by the end of next week.

Forecast changed back down to less than 1 for us as of now.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting Nervous and a little anxiety. I have a handful of properties that are currently ready to go for cleanups and will have several more by the first part of next week. Problem is the custom trailer I ordered 9 weeks ago is not ready. Was supposed to be ready by last week of March. Dealer effed it up and I was just told 2-3 weeks minimum before its ready with an estimated ready date of last week of April. Now I'm screwed as I sold my 2 other trailers this winter to pay for the new one. Only trailer I have left is a little dinky 5'x 10'. What good does that do me. Nothing.

Dealer is "supposedly" working on it and will get me a temp trailer until mine is ready but was told they don't even have a dump trailer on the lot.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I may have some work to sub out in st Paul/Minneapolis. Jobs consist of approximately 2800 sq ft of sod, 180 feet of edging an 4-5 yards of mulch. Lots will be graded. If interested message me a ball park price on these. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As in downtown Minneapolis or St Paul?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
landscape , lawn , maintenance , minnesota , network