Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Southeast, WI startup help

Hello all. As you can probably assume per title I'm looking for advise on starting a landscape company. To give a little background on my ideas.. I do not intend to be a fly by night crew and I have all the equipment I'll need already including a strong back and motivation. I would be doing all the work alone and would bring on a sub for anything I would need a extra hand for. This would be a part time endeavor as I work full time already. I have read tons of threads but have not found any specific enough. My intention is to be more in the line of installation vs maintenance as time progresses.
From what i understand I just need to choose a name, file articles of organization and obtain a EIN to create a LLC in Wisconsin. (please elaborate on anything I'm missing because I'm sure there is plenty)
One of the biggest things that I do not understand is the money/ taxes aspect. As far as I understand I open a bank account in the Business's name and I deposit all of the money into the account. From what I've heard taxes are collected from once a year down to quarterly. So would i basically just keep track in my books of how much money i brought in during that time frame and submit that number to the IRS and they tell me how much I owe them? Or how does that work? Also I'm not sure about the whole if I'm buying a product say mulch for instance for a job. I've read some places I would need a sellers license to charge the customer for the mulch.
I have so many more questions but It would be great if someone would be willing to help me out with their knowledge. Thank you.