Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll just be happy to see the 2-2.5" of snow we got last night melt! No mowing here for quite some time this year it looks like.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'll just be happy to see the 2-2.5" of snow we got last night melt! No mowing here for quite some time this year it looks like.
That sucks! When does your season generally start?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The grass is starting to need mowing any time from mid April to the start of May here depending on the temps we get. Usually the first week or two of May the grass actually needs cutting, not just when everyone who does this for a living here gets started whether or not it needs it.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The eclipse was in full coverage at 3:46 am here, but due to having a terrible storm with a great deal of lightning and rain, no one saw the show. We had 1.6" (4.06 cm) of rain in an hour from 2:30 am until 3:30 am, and another .7" (1.77 cm) this afternoon, of which it is still lightly raining as I type. You can almost see the grass growing.

God was providing cover from Satan.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
The grass is starting to need mowing any time from mid April to the start of May here depending on the temps we get. Usually the first week or two of May the grass actually needs cutting, not just when everyone who does this for a living here gets started whether or not it needs it.
Things can change quickly here. 30'c one day, 25 the next. Dry to soaked over night!
You never know mate, things might warm up before you know it! For your sake, I hope they do!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
God was providing cover from Satan.
So, life giving sun is Satan, the earth with terrible people on it is god, whats the moon then?

Edit, dont actually answer that! hehe
Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy
Things can change quickly here. 30'c one day, 25 the next. Dry to soaked over night!
You never know mate, things might warm up before you know it! For your sake, I hope they do!

I'm hear all that!

I had a 100+ year old oak come down yesterday morning while we were getting some 50+ mph winds. It has been leaning for about a year now. I'm going to cut it up tomorrow or Thursday, so it's something to do. It's a good sized SOB, so lots of wood in it. Nice long, straight trunk, but no way to get it out in one long piece to sell to a mill. Bummer.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm hear all that!

I had a 100+ year old oak come down yesterday morning while we were getting some 50+ mph winds. It has been leaning for about a year now. I'm going to cut it up tomorrow or Thursday, so it's something to do. It's a good sized SOB, so lots of wood in it. Nice long, straight trunk, but no way to get it out in one long piece to sell to a mill. Bummer.
Cant find a mobile miller? Sounds like a candidate for slabbing! Shame to waste that kind of wood!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's on my property, but on the other side of a fence at the back end on a small strip of land between the fence and the swamp, and no way for anyone to get even a portable mill back to it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It's on my property, but on the other side of a fence at the back end on a small strip of land between the fence and the swamp, and no way for anyone to get even a portable mill back to it.
Bugger! Didnt you have another one come down last year, or was that on a job?