Register free!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Does anyone have a legit reason NOT. To letter them? It cant cost you any business
Not required by my state and I do not like to give kooks and nuts a phone number to call or misuse.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So youre a solo op correct? How many kooks are calling you
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have me truck and open trailer with signs on them figure why not if you pick up one account they pay for themselves..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So youre a solo op correct? How many kooks are calling you
None and I plan to keep it that way. My definition of a kook is the person seeing me apply to a lawn in accordance with all state and federal regulations yet takes it upon themselves to call the DOA. DOA is obligated to respond to all calls from the public whether they be legitimate or otherwise. Those same people that want to kick Monsanto out of Hawaii would throw a non organic lawn person out of here just as fast.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't letter my truck because I like to target my accounts. I'm finding out that when I do mass advertising I get a lot of calls from junk clients. I also like to give my clients that "small business" vibe. Someone stated it earlier and it's true, one way I actually get clients is by not being that guy with two mowers and five employees hitting the ground all at once in a frenzy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I don't letter my truck because I like to target my accounts. I'm finding out that when I do mass advertising I get a lot of calls from junk clients. I also like to give my clients that "small business" vibe. Someone stated it earlier and it's true, one way I actually get clients is by not being that guy with two mowers and five employees hitting the ground all at once in a frenzy.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. Solo-Op here. I started this year, first year selling on quality. All of my customers love having an "English Speaking man in a Cowboy hat", trust me I done had several and I repeat several customers tell me that today. I'm also getting the impression that many of my customers also don't like having multiple people they don't know from a man on the moon on their property also. I try to keep it personal feeling with all of my customers. My customers, even new customers have gave me all the side work I could handle this year, and gave me all the new customers I could handle from word of mouth. As for the topic of this post, being my first year and a solo operator, I landed 60 customers as of last week, took the magnets off the truck and said I was done taking customers being solo, I feel that I had all I could handle, not to mention I have many, many side jobs lined up for any free time I have. Long story short, I took two customers today even though I said I was done. Reason, because one was a neighbor to the lawn I was doing. Lady walked up and asked me if I could make her lawn look just like her neighbors. That left me with a good feeling. Then another customer called from the same street that I already have six customers on, so I had to take that one. Now I can officially say I have all I can handle being solo and am DONE unless I get anymore "neighbor" customers. And my magnets are staying OFF of the truck. Too much work and I need to work rather than answering the phone.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I agree. Solo-Op here. I started this year, first year selling on quality. All of my customers love having an "English Speaking man in a Cowboy hat", trust me I done had several and I repeat several customers tell me that today. I'm also getting the impression that many of my customers also don't like having multiple people they don't know from a man on the moon on their property also. I try to keep it personal feeling with all of my customers. My customers, even new customers have gave me all the side work I could handle this year, and gave me all the new customers I could handle from word of mouth. As for the topic of this post, being my first year and a solo operator, I landed 60 customers as of last week, took the magnets off the truck and said I was done taking customers being solo, I feel that I had all I could handle, not to mention I have many, many side jobs lined up for any free time I have. Long story short, I took two customers today even though I said I was done. Reason, because one was a neighbor to the lawn I was doing. Lady walked up and asked me if I could make her lawn look just like her neighbors. That left me with a good feeling. Then another customer called from the same street that I already have six customers on, so I had to take that one. Now I can officially say I have all I can handle being solo and am DONE unless I get anymore "neighbor" customers. And my magnets are staying OFF of the truck. Too much work and I need to work rather than answering the phone.
You bring up a good point. In my area, the companies with the matching vehicles, matching uniforms and all of that corporate, big operation show do something that does not sit well with many people. The person they talk to initially may be an American citizen that speaks English as their first language. Who comes into their property to do the work could not be further from the person they first talked to. Also, in these big operations or even in the small operations running a crew. There is no guarantee that the set of people is always the same. It means something when I can tell someone that I am the only person that sets foot in their lawn.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Their dad probably doesnt want vinyl letters on his truck and trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
WTF? Judge much?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My assumption has been that they want to slide under the radar for nefarious reasons...rather run a boy nextdoor operation than an real business... Obviously a generalization on my part so I don't want to hear "I'm a legitimate business with more work than you probably and just don't need to market or spend on lettering"...because it may be true... But you are likely the exception... The other 75% are probably flying under the radar. And even if you are not in need of more work and don't want growth, I still think its good to have your name on your equipment for the sake of accountability... If one of your employees is acting or driving like a jerk with your name on the truck that's not cool...it forces you to keep a tighter ship for image.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
My assumption has been that they want to slide under the radar for nefarious reasons...rather run a boy nextdoor operation than an real business... Obviously a generalization on my part so I don't want to hear "I'm a legitimate business with more work than you probably and just don't need to market or spend on lettering"...because it may be true... But you are likely the exception... The other 75% are probably flying under the radar. And even if you are not in need of more work and don't want growth, I still think its good to have your name on your equipment for the sake of accountability... If one of your employees is acting or driving like a jerk with your name on the truck that's not cool...it forces you to keep a tighter ship for image.

I once stopped to look at a property before had my truck lettered and noted that the guy across the street was keeping an eye on me.
I walked the lawn and went back to my truck where I started making notes, and preparing for the next few jobs - I sat there for about ten minutes. When I looked out my window, there he was, standing in his drive with his arms folded across his chest, staring at me.

I put the window down and said "Becky called and asked for an estimate for the lawn."
The fact that I used the person's name eased his mind - he was uneasy about this stranger walking around his neighbor's house and not knowing what he was up to. We chatted for a bit and he mentioned that he has small children and doesn't take chances. "We all keep an eye out for each other."

Being legitimate and looking legitimate are two different animals.