Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Southeast, WI startup help

Hello all. As you can probably assume per title I'm looking for advise on starting a landscape company. To give a little background on my ideas.. I do not intend to be a fly by night crew and I have all the equipment I'll need already including a strong back and motivation. I would be doing all the work alone and would bring on a sub for anything I would need a extra hand for. This would be a part time endeavor as I work full time already. I have read tons of threads but have not found any specific enough. My intention is to be more in the line of installation vs maintenance as time progresses.
From what i understand I just need to choose a name, file articles of organization and obtain a EIN to create a LLC in Wisconsin. (please elaborate on anything I'm missing because I'm sure there is plenty)
One of the biggest things that I do not understand is the money/ taxes aspect. As far as I understand I open a bank account in the Business's name and I deposit all of the money into the account. From what I've heard taxes are collected from once a year down to quarterly. So would i basically just keep track in my books of how much money i brought in during that time frame and submit that number to the IRS and they tell me how much I owe them? Or how does that work? Also I'm not sure about the whole if I'm buying a product say mulch for instance for a job. I've read some places I would need a sellers license to charge the customer for the mulch.
I have so many more questions but It would be great if someone would be willing to help me out with their knowledge. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello from southwest Wisconsin! I have just recently started my.business. here are the steps for everything you will need here

First you need to.file your articles.of organization, pretty much register your.llc. cery easy to.do, 30 minutes time and $130 and your done. But you must go.to the right websites. Go to the Wisconsin.gov website, and search "file for an llc" you should see a link for another Wisconsin.gov website, im not sure of the exact link. But the pages tells you everything you need to do to file.for.it. then gives you a link to the form.
Second you need to file for your EIN. Go to irs.gov, search "file for an ein" in the search results there is a link for it, you cant miss it. About 20 minutes and its $0!
Third, the resellers permit! Very nice.to have! To get this, there should be a link off the file for.an llc page. It costs $20 and takes like 20 minutes to file.
As far as taxes! Im not much help there. I hired an accountant. I am getting quickbooks, and then just recording all my income and expenses. Then I.just turn it.into my accountant

Sorry im not much help. Ill look for the links tomorrow and post them.on here for you!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything is help to me and i thank you for the information. Are all of these fee's yearly or are they just one time fees? I'd assume there is some kind of business license I would need to renew yearly. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I know the resellers.and ein are one time.fees. the llc licence is a I think $20/year to.maintain it. And theyll either email.you or mail something.to.you for.it. I didnt have a chance to.find.those links, got swamped with homework.. cant wait.till I graduate high school so.I can focus.more time on the business. But I will get it.tomorrow!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok here is the direct link to the directions on how to file for your LLC, in the bottom left hand corner it there is a button "start filling now" click.on it and it will bring you to the form. Just read through it, its very easy to do. The fee is $130, for an extra $25 you can get it expedited. I didn't pay the extra, and it was accepted in 5 minutes! It is mobile device friendly too, I did.it on my phone
I couldn't find the ein link or the sellers permit link, but the ein is on the irs website, and the sellers permit is on the Wisconsin department of revenue website

Https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpFormation/directions.aspx?type=12
Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Excellent thank you for your time and knowledge.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Your welcome, let me know if you need any thing else