Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb2920 View Post
I cracked the bracket on my plow, so that needs to be fixed and put away. (probably fix it at the end of summer). I put my snowblower away for the season. Techinically, I still have my plow on my quad but I am done for the season. I don't plow snow accept for my sub and with everything there being no pile, there is no snow to "relocate" with the tractor.

Hopefully no salt was needed today, I think guys are ready to put the season behind them and move ahead towards "GRASS" I know I am excited. First year I am really jumping back into it.

I dont have a personal facebook account and often give her a hard time about her account. She just looked at me as I type "And you think facebook is bad". Summer, I usually don't sit still.
I think we all broke so much this winter. I know my one sub broke 3 plows in one night lol When we got burried in 18 inches of fresh snow and 2-3ft drifts snow the one night my property management called and asked why I was late. Oh just no reason, I am just screwing around in the snow..... I think I said something to the effect that we are having a hard enough time getting to your locations let alone plowing them.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Did anyone have to salt today? Hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
I think we all broke so much this winter. I know my one sub broke 3 plows in one night lol When we got burried in 18 inches of fresh snow and 2-3ft drifts snow the one night my property management called and asked why I was late. Oh just no reason, I am just screwing around in the snow..... I think I said something to the effect that we are having a hard enough time getting to your locations let alone plowing them.
You got a good laugh out of me. That is one thing I didnt miss about plowing. The last snow flake falls and people call. In your situation when things break and it puts you behind just a bit, "some" people dont seem to understand. I have only done this work as side pizza money but still like having backup equipment. I ran 2 truck (jeep and GMC3500 (truck and a half we shall say) and when things got bad, I brought on a driver. Of course when things get bad, things break. That still left me hanging. It was still a fun year (a few years back).
Old 04-15-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb2920 View Post
You got a good laugh out of me. That is one thing I didnt miss about plowing. The last snow flake falls and people call. In your situation when things break and it puts you behind just a bit, "some" people dont seem to understand. I have only done this work as side pizza money but still like having backup equipment. I ran 2 truck (jeep and GMC3500 (truck and a half we shall say) and when things got bad, I brought on a driver. Of course when things get bad, things break. That still left me hanging. It was still a fun year (a few years back).
I had 2 subs for 4 locations a hr form me. Then I have a 93 chevy 1 ton dully, and a 92 f250. I broke my transfer case almost clean in half trying to get myself unstuck and grenaded my ford front differential in the same week.. then I hired on another sub to take the route and I split it with another guy thinking he would break down...... he did, busted a yoke on the front axle and had the other guy finish up in the morning. Here are my 2 friends attempting to pull me back onto clear ground. When i broke the case. The one is a 1 ton, the military truck is a 1 1/4 ton and both had rear tire chains on and they had a heck of a time pulling me out. My dully weighed 10k in the pic, when I load the bins on the back clear full it weighed 14k and change. My ford is feather weight compared to the chevy but it will get a front locker when I am done fixing it

Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Noob here, just wondering when you all think you'll begin cutting grass? Looking like it might not be good to start until May?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I had 2 subs for 4 locations a hr form me. Then I have a 93 chevy 1 ton dully, and a 92 f250. I broke my transfer case almost clean in half trying to get myself unstuck and grenaded my ford front differential in the same week.. then I hired on another sub to take the route and I split it with another guy thinking he would break down...... he did, busted a yoke on the front axle and had the other guy finish up in the morning. Here are my 2 friends attempting to pull me back onto clear ground. When i broke the case. The one is a 1 ton, the military truck is a 1 1/4 ton and both had rear tire chains on and they had a heck of a time pulling me out. My dully weighed 10k in the pic, when I load the bins on the back clear full it weighed 14k and change. My ford is feather weight compared to the chevy but it will get a front locker when I am done fixing it

Rough day there... As the minutes tick away, you see the dollar signs... I've had some interesting one myself. LOL, it is good to see in the heat of the moment you still were able to capture the incident.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonG View Post
Noob here, just wondering when you all think you'll begin cutting grass? Looking like it might not be good to start until May?
I am saying 2 weeks for southern MI
Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I am saying 2 weeks for southern MI
Some lawns are super close right now
Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffdeer View Post
Some lawns are super close right now
not with this snow lol I doubt any will be ready next week
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn has to be at least 3" before you cut it...I haven't seen anything long enough yet...except maybe some areas directly above septic tanks are getting close.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
not with this snow lol I doubt any will be ready next week
Snow shouldn't hurt that much if at all. Ground is still warm. And when the snow melts it will provide more water.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
alternative landscaping