Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Another which to get thread!

Having some difficulty on which mowers would be best suited for my land. It is 2 acres with 1 acre on a slight hill and the other is a steep hill with trees. Most of the land is a bit rough and have had problems with weaker decks. Would like to upgrade to a zero turn and price limit is 6500.
The nearby dealers are John deere, ferris, scag, gravely, and cub cadet.
The one I checked out was the John deere z655 since it is the closest to home before I left for a week. But since I've been looking at reviews on here is really when I started looking at other dealers. Couple that caught my eye are the gravely pro - turns and ferris 700 (not sure on price of ferris)
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I did some price checking today and now the mowers that I think would be best are
Scag Freedom Z 52" with BS motor.
Hustler Fastrak SD 54"
Ferris is700z 52"
Gravely ZT-HD 52" (farthest dealer)

Those are all under the 6500 price range with Huster being right at the top of it.
Will there truly be any difference between them that effect durability?
Also I live in Southern Illinois and the grass is growing out of control at the moment. Really don't want to rush any of them but will need one very soon since I have nothing at the moment.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The scag is your best option. Great mower and very fast. Hustler would be my Secound choice because of reliability.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj2189 View Post
Having some difficulty on which mowers would be best suited for my land. It is 2 acres with 1 acre on a slight hill and the other is a steep hill with trees. Most of the land is a bit rough and have had problems with weaker decks. Would like to upgrade to a zero turn and price limit is 6500.
The nearby dealers are John deere, ferris, scag, gravely, and cub cadet.
The one I checked out was the John deere z655 since it is the closest to home before I left for a week. But since I've been looking at reviews on here is really when I started looking at other dealers. Couple that caught my eye are the gravely pro - turns and ferris 700 (not sure on price of ferris)
Any help would be appreciated!
You stated you have a steep hill. This could be a problem with a zturn. Do a quick search on zturns and hills if you haven't already thought about it.

As far as the machines you have included I like Scag. Wish I could afford one =\
Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I borrowed a friend of mines cub cadet zero turn. It seems to go up my hill fairly easy. Of course being wet wouldn't help but the mowers I have listed would be much heavier than the cc I used.
On another note, I was checking out the scag and am now actually interested in the kubota kommanders. 54" with b&s commercial motor or upgrade to Kohler. I've personnaly never have had problems with b&s. But it seemed to have pretty well everything im wanting. Pretty impressed being only $5k machine. Will do a test drive on it tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I borrowed a friend of mines cub cadet zero turn. It seems to go up my hill fairly easy. Of course being wet wouldn't help but the mowers I have listed would be much heavier than the cc I used.
On another note, I was checking out the scag and am now actually interested in the kubota kommanders. 54" with b&s commercial motor or upgrade to Kohler. I've personnaly never have had problems with b&s. But it seemed to have pretty well everything im wanting. Pretty impressed being only $5k machine. Will do a test drive on it tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I saw those Kommanders. Very nice. There are some posts on the commercial boards here about them. I still think you should look over the Toro Z Master, though.

Incidentally, I bought a Toro MX4260 today. It is the right fit for my property. I just hope the sealed transmissions last!

Good luck. I know how it can be a pita decision, it has been for me. But I'm really looking forward to maintaining my property this year. =)

DC
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Kubota looks nice but I've only used Kubota tractors. I think the Hustler might be the best fit but i've never priced out those models so I don't know what the difference is. There are plenty of landscapers in my area with fastracks and freedom z's. Gravely really hasn't been able to get a large clientele in my area.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I ended up getting the Kubota Kommander ZG127E. I test drove it and the scag since they were a bit together in the price range. I just overall liked the Kommander more. Would of preferred the Kawa motor off of the scag but like i've stated before, I haven't had a problem with B&S motors and doubt the new one would be any different. The price was a bit lower on the Kubota, as far as the ride i felt the kubota was a little better but nothing extremely noticable.
I purchased the basic model, no suspension seat, headlights, deck lift assist, or the Kohler motor.
I plan on picking it up tomorrow and hopefully getting a chance to do some mowing with it.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I ended up getting the Kubota Kommander ZG127E. I test drove it and the scag since they were a bit together in the price range. I just overall liked the Kommander more. Would of preferred the Kawa motor off of the scag but like i've stated before, I haven't had a problem with B&S motors and doubt the new one would be any different. The price was a bit lower on the Kubota, as far as the ride i felt the kubota was a little better but nothing extremely noticable.
I purchased the basic model, no suspension seat, headlights, deck lift assist, or the Kohler motor.
I plan on picking it up tomorrow and hopefully getting a chance to do some mowing with it.
Congrats! I won't get mine for two to three weeks. Please post some pics here.
Cheers,
DC