Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,114
Florida's Wild Hog Problem

.

Florida's Wild Hog Problem is starting to touch home. Or at least in my Neighborhood. Just two street over my Neighborhood touches on a State Preserve.

SPORT OR PROBLEM????

No one is paying me so right now it is a sport. My neighbors are having their yards tore up so I decided to fill my freezer. Attached are pictures of 2 smaller pigs under 100 pounds. They are both in my freezer. I snared both of these a couple of nights apart. Snares are inexpensive way of trapping pigs. They require very little Baiting and after a quick survey of the area. They are set on pathways and checked the next morning. BTW by picking certain paths and sizing the snare, you can target large, medium or small Hogs. I wanted the better meat yearling that were just under reproductive age.





PROBLEM:

The Problem with control IMHO. No one is approaching the problem correctly. These are social animals that travel in Packs called SOUNDERS. Therefore control should be aimed at the Pack and not trapping or shooting a individuals. I am a firm believer in trapping the total sounder. I have been following several research programs on Hog Control. Poisons are being looked at very hard. However outside of Government research poisoning hogs is still illegal. Main problem with poison is hogs are very resistant to all kinds of poison. By the time the hog eats enough poison they present a eco problem with secondary contamination.

.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
twomancrew twomancrew is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East, IA
Posts: 947
I would think any bigger than that in the wild-uncut boars- that meat would be so strong you couldn't make even a decent sausage or even pepperoni out of it. Nice bag either way. You get more than half meat off those wild Babes?

Did you come out of the customer's yard and say "Maam I found that mole you were looking for. He's a bigun"

http://www.kwqc.com/story/25257888/hog this is the hog problem I thought of when I saw your post. FL is a bit far from Sterling IL. These hogs look tasty!
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
I live in Northern Charlotte County and last night I heard a couple of hogs outside my bed room window. I live next to county land so I will treat hogs like any other exotic invasive species and put them down with my AR-15.
I understand that the hogs run in packs and it may take longer to cull the heard but it will be done.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I would think any bigger than that in the wild-uncut boars- that meat would be so strong you couldn't make even a decent sausage or even pepperoni out of it. Nice bag either way. You get more than half meat off those wild Babes?

Did you come out of the customer's yard and say "Maam I found that mole you were looking for. He's a bigun"

http://www.kwqc.com/story/25257888/hog this is the hog problem I thought of when I saw your post. FL is a bit far from Sterling IL. These hogs look tasty!
As long as the males are castrated ASAP after death the meat should be editable. Of course that is assuming that the animal looks and behaves in a healthy manor.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I would think any bigger than that in the wild-uncut boars- that meat would be so strong you couldn't make even a decent sausage or even pepperoni out of it. Nice bag either way. You get more than half meat off those wild Babes?

Did you come out of the customer's yard and say "Maam I found that mole you were looking for. He's a bigun"

http://www.kwqc.com/story/25257888/hog this is the hog problem I thought of when I saw your post. FL is a bit far from Sterling IL. These hogs look tasty!
Yep IMHO you are correct. The ideal way is to keep them alive and feed them out for at least 30 days or longer.




Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I live in Northern Charlotte County and last night I heard a couple of hogs outside my bed room window. I live next to county land so I will treat hogs like any other exotic invasive species and put them down with my AR-15.
I understand that the hogs run in packs and it may take longer to cull the heard but it will be done.
easy-lift guy
I been studying Hog Control for years. I am sorry but there is no way you can thin the heard one hog at a time. Every two years a Sal can have 3 litters of up to 10 or more pigs. You can't control the problem one at a time. Hogs are very smart and at the top of the animal intelligent list. You can chase them away to an other area by shooting enough individuals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
As long as the males are castrated ASAP after death the meat should be editable. Of course that is assuming that the animal looks and behaves in a healthy manor.
easy-lift guy
IMHO Deer Yes Bores NO. Wild bores will emit testosterone any time they feel danger. Only a Clean unexpected instant kill behind the ear can keep the Must smell out of a old Bore. Most hunters only keep a younger Sal for Meat. Regardless Wild Hogs are all going to have some kind of Wild taste to the Meat. They are what they eat.

When I find a Meat hog in my snare, I wait a while before euthanizing it. I want it relaxed and comfortable. Then I make sure to get a quick clean kill. It makes for Better meat. A 22 in all it takes.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:01 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
I will set up a kill zone in my back yard and continue to cull the herd. I don't really care about the population so much since the buzzards will clean up any mess or I can use the meat for crab traps.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 PM
bcg bcg is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,782
You're underestimating their reproductive ability, pigs reach sexual maturity at about 6 months and their gestation period is just under 4 months. Litter size can be as many as 12 but 6 - 8 is more common. So, a single sow can potentially have 2 litters a year. If we assume on the low end that she has 6 per litter and 12 of those are female then we're going to have 3 additional litters from the females in the first litter in that same year so one sow can turn into 36 in a year with litters of 6. If that same sow has ideal conditions and throws litters of 12, she could potentially be 96 more pigs in a year. The problem becomes exponential as time goes on.

I certainly agree with you that removing them one a time won't do squat. I've done a lot of trapping with box traps, and have a side business selling traps, but even that isn't gaining any ground on them. At best, you keep their numbers even. A couple of years ago, Texas made it legal to hunt pigs from helicopters, that seems to be doing some good. Some days the helicopter hunters will kill 40 - 50 pigs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
You're underestimating their reproductive ability, pigs reach sexual maturity at about 6 months and their gestation period is just under 4 months. Litter size can be as many as 12 but 6 - 8 is more common. So, a single sow can potentially have 2 litters a year. If we assume on the low end that she has 6 per litter and 12 of those are female then we're going to have 3 additional litters from the females in the first litter in that same year so one sow can turn into 36 in a year with litters of 6. If that same sow has ideal conditions and throws litters of 12, she could potentially be 96 more pigs in a year. The problem becomes exponential as time goes on.

I certainly agree with you that removing them one a time won't do squat. I've done a lot of trapping with box traps, and have a side business selling traps, but even that isn't gaining any ground on them. At best, you keep their numbers even. A couple of years ago, Texas made it legal to hunt pigs from helicopters, that seems to be doing some good. Some days the helicopter hunters will kill 40 - 50 pigs.
Funny thing is that Channel Blue Crabs are really not that particular when it comes to their last meal.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
You're underestimating their reproductive ability, pigs reach sexual maturity at about 6 months and their gestation period is just under 4 months. Litter size can be as many as 12 but 6 - 8 is more common. So, a single sow can potentially have 2 litters a year. If we assume on the low end that she has 6 per litter and 12 of those are female then we're going to have 3 additional litters from the females in the first litter in that same year so one sow can turn into 36 in a year with litters of 6. If that same sow has ideal conditions and throws litters of 12, she could potentially be 96 more pigs in a year. The problem becomes exponential as time goes on.

I certainly agree with you that removing them one a time won't do squat. I've done a lot of trapping with box traps, and have a side business selling traps, but even that isn't gaining any ground on them. At best, you keep their numbers even. A couple of years ago, Texas made it legal to hunt pigs from helicopters, that seems to be doing some good. Some days the helicopter hunters will kill 40 - 50 pigs.
Box traps are better than the Snares I use and don't take as much knowledge to use. But Box traps are for hunters who are filling freezers, not eradicating Hog populations.

From the Research I done even large trap with continuous catch doors that are recommended by university extension agents, aren't effective for eradication. Older Breeding Hogs become trap educated and keep reproducing.

What seem to work the Best is Large Traps 30 ft round or larger that are Monitored remotely. Then after many days of feeding the whole sounder the trap is sprung only when the whole sounder is present. Modern technology of Video Camera and satellite Internet are the best monitoring devices. Of course all of this costs money that most don't want to spend. Instead Hogs do million dollars of damage each year.

How the other side of the Coin is the Value of Wild Hogs for feeding world Hunger. It is my understanding Texas has many Live wild Hog buying stations. Hogs are then shipped to a large processing Plant where they are fatten and butchered. The Meat is then used in sausage and other processed products. But the majority is being sold to China which can't grow enough food to feed it's huge population. To my Knowledge Florida doesn't have any similar processing plants.

.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
your are right ric south fla has never lacked wold hogs that's for sure...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.10642 seconds with 9 queries