Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very possible if the reel and bedknife do not meet rocks or sand. A sharpening/backlap on a Mclane used by a homeowner lasts 6 months to a year used weekly.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Here's my .02. It all comes down to HOC. I'm not familiar with Zenith but if its a variety that can be kept at 1.25-1.75", a Tru-Cut will be fine. I maintain a lot of empire zoysia in that HOC range and it looks great. I also have a diamond zoysia lawn maintained at .75-1" with my TC that also looks great. Imo using a variety that is to be kept at .5" or less is crazy. You are either cutting multiple times per week or using a pgr. There is nothing wrong with the 1-1.5" range on a variety that can be done that way. You can get a roller for the TC. Every company here runs them and the lawns look Great.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is why I have a special dislike for Emerald zoysia. That grass must be kept near 1/4" or else it is a thatch monster. It is even worse in the hands of a homeowner who hand waters or else short cycles the irrigation so the top of the soil is always wet. The newer varieties can be kept near 1", but I find that keeping them at 1/2" is a good growth regulator in Hawaii. El Toro kept above 1/2" during the summer grows 2" in a week. Keep it at 1/2" or near that, it only grows another 1/2" in 7 days. I have a sod grower friend that wants me to try Zeon. It looks a lot like Emerald without being such a pain to deal with. Handles shade a lot better as well, according to him. We'll see. Houses close together and palm trees used as hedges test the shade tolerance of lawns.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zenith is a seeded Zoysia japonica. I have seen it and dealt with it. Hate it. Not tight like the hybrid zoysias. Very disease susceptible. Color is horrible unless fertilized to make it really overgrow.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
60 days on 13 lawns seems like a long time...they small areas?
Posted via Mobile Device
These are Empire yards and not too small by standard here, 8k of turf. HOC is 1.5 and right now its just hitting the few high spots. During the summer when I first started these I was backlapping every 3 weeks. The reels get a few nicks from stones. As GD, Mike and I have discussed the procedure is annoying at best. Still looking for a good used greens mower. The customers love the look of the reel cut and pay extremely well for it so there is no going back on this. After GD mentioned it I compared reels among different machines and McLanes by far seem skimpiest. I walk the lawns and pick up sticks before cutting. There are few areas thay still need dressing so that will 100% compost. Any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

suggestions???? I cant believe they have not been mentioned...the best reel is the Toro flex 21...very expensive new, but can be had from second hand golf course or turf specialty shop very well cared for and about half the money of new. The toro is a greens or tee box mower, if you plan to keep above 1/2 inch it is not for you. The best homeowner general purpose reel is a Locke or what is now built by Gravely as seen below...these are tanks and built with heavy cast parts...will not knock out of square like mclanes or tru cuts do...but they do cost about double what a tru cut does..see locke

I have the locke cl130 for 3 years now and do not regret it at all
Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys can say what you want about tru cuts but they work just fine here in fl with the kind of zoysia we cut. Every company here runs them. If they were that inferior, I doubt that would be the case. Cutting bermuda at 1/2" or less means you are cutting 2 times per week and given our long humid and rainy summers it is tough. I get a kick out of the guys that cut every 2-3 days on thier personal lawns. I have yet to find a customer that will pay for that. If they do its a huge estate with a personal staff. What some guys do on thier own lawns are pipe dreams in the commercial game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot about those. Never seen one locally but they are afforadable from a LCO standpoint. Anybody got any negatives on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

i cut my celebration Bermuda lawn at 1/2" 5 times per week in summer with mine...pros over tru cut...floating front head..not an option on tru cut, heavy roller infront and behind the reel...aftermarket option on tru cut for front and not at all avalible for rear, thick cast and plate steel parts, nothing is stamped or riveted like tru cut, clutches do not burn out like tru cuts, everything has full ball bearings no bushings like tru cuts (only commercials have bearings, and then they are only on the reel not everywhere), come in a 30" cut...tru cut biggest is 27, the mower is controlled with your hand and gripping the mower handles...not using thumbs like a tru cut, the front is heavy and does not pop wheelie like tru cut...tru cuts are good mowers but are not great mowers...side by side and money no problem nobody would ever buy a tru cut...downside or con is the price...tru cut is 1500-2000 and a locke or gravely is 4500-6000...they are hard to find
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

for a lco they may not be an option...most have crews that treat the mowers as if they were rentals...and yes even cutting twice per week it would be hard to have lawns turn out the way they should
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr6874 View Post
i cut my celebration Bermuda lawn at 1/2" 5 times per week in summer with mine...pros over tru cut...floating front head..not an option on tru cut, heavy roller infront and behind the reel...aftermarket option on tru cut for front and not at all avalible for rear, thick cast and plate steel parts, nothing is stamped or riveted like tru cut, clutches do not burn out like tru cuts, everything has full ball bearings no bushings like tru cuts (only commercials have bearings, and then they are only on the reel not everywhere), come in a 30" cut...tru cut biggest is 27, the mower is controlled with your hand and gripping the mower handles...not using thumbs like a tru cut, the front is heavy and does not pop wheelie like tru cut...tru cuts are good mowers but are not great mowers...side by side and money no problem nobody would ever buy a tru cut...downside or con is the price...tru cut is 1500-2000 and a locke or gravely is 4500-6000...they are hard to find
Again

I have yet to find a HO who is paying a company to do that. Most Zoysia here that is cut with a reel is cut at .75"-1.5" depending on variety. I have not used a Locke so I won't obviously say yay or nay. My Tru-cut leaves a GREAT cut on the lawns I use it on. To spend triple the amount of money I can't justify that it would leave that better of a cut AT THOSE HOC. Now, if I were to go in the .5" or less range....yes, my tru-cut would def not work even though it can cut at .5".

Also, you mentioned the 30". Most lawns here with Zoysia or Bermuda that one would use a WB Reel are small. The extra 3" is pretty negligible.

I'm not knocking what you are saying. What I'm saying is given the circumstances I deal with here. Tru-cut does a great job.