Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's it worth?

A customer gave this to me, it looks to be in really nice shape, bit of dust and it has obviously been used... I put fuel in it and had to swap the string piece bit to get it to act right but it starts and runs and does what it's supposed to do without a fuss... Hardly any wear I can see, all the stickers are there, even the muffler hasn't hardly a couple of specks of rust on it.

Not sure what I want to do with it, I'm more a Stihl guy but I might sell it or keep it as backup, just wanting some opinions:
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep it as a back up, no reason to sell it. It's in great shape, and it's a good trimmer. But what you'll get for it on craigslist is a fraction of what a new good stihl will cost you.

When your Stihl has a bad day at least you won't be screwed. I picked up a lower end echo from HD a month ago, it was an attachment capable model. Got the power head for $90 and the trimmer head for $30. Couldn't pass it up for a back up.

However the actual trimmer heads on homeowner echos are terrible. Go to lowes and buy a Husqvarna head for like $25 bucks. Worth it, they're awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Keep it as a back up, no reason to sell it. It's in great shape, and it's a good trimmer. But what you'll get for it on craigslist is a fraction of what a new good stihl will cost you.

When your Stihl has a bad day at least you won't be screwed. I picked up a lower end echo from HD a month ago, it was an attachment capable model. Got the power head for $90 and the trimmer head for $30. Couldn't pass it up for a back up.

However the actual trimmer heads on homeowner echos are terrible. Go to lowes and buy a Husqvarna head for like $25 bucks. Worth it, they're awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's not a home owner model.

That was a commercial model from circa 2002-2004. They were around $130-$150 back then.

I'd say it's "worth" $100 now.

I'd keep it. It's "worth" more than every single piece of stihl equipment you own.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I ran it this morning and was sore tempted to take it out but decided to wait because that would seriously devalue it, not to mention I'd be taking the guard off... But for $100, even $150... It's worth keeping to me, for that money, was thinking about it throughout the day and it did occur to me...
Why did I not google "msrp srm2100"...
So that's what I did after I got home.

Look what I found:
http://www.tractorbluebook.com/Equip.../Echo/SRM-2100

Sure do appreciate your input.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah, I ran it this morning and was sore tempted to take it out but decided to wait because that would seriously devalue it, not to mention I'd be taking the guard off... But for $100, even $150... It's worth keeping to me, for that money, was thinking about it throughout the day and it did occur to me...
Why did I not google "msrp srm2100"...
So that's what I did after I got home.

Look what I found:
http://www.tractorbluebook.com/Equip.../Echo/SRM-2100

Sure do appreciate your input.
Hmm I dont recall them being over $200 in 2001… I might have been thinking of dealer pricing from 2004… I had a dealership and echo was the 2 cycle line I carried. so I might have had that stuck in my head as 'my' price ($150)…I never really moved a lot of hand helds… frikken everyone and their mother including the hardware stores carried 2cycle equipment.