Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Should College Football Players get Paid?

Here we see a Judge ruling that College football players can forum Unions:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...n-bid-unionize

$Billions in revenues for Colleges. Who does most of the work? Who takes all the risk of bodily injury?. Only a small % go on to make it big in the Pros. Head Coaches makes $500,000 to $1 Million+ average annually. Players probably get a package worth $30,000 annually in education, housing etc. A good many are poor when it comes to cash.

What do you think about Unions and/or getting paid?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think they should get something. My brother ran track of Clemson, and I couldn't believe the amount of free nike stuff he was getting. There are a lot of perks, but he left when he decided on med school after because it's too hard to be on the team and take advanced classes.

Now, that's track. Imagine the perks of a football player, but imagine the extra work it takes to stay on the team and make your grades. These guys work way too hard not to get something
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think they should. Only around 10 schools in the US actually make money from the sports teams. The players are getting their schooling paid for as there pay. Schools wouldn't be able to have teams if they paid them, or the ticket prices would skyrocket. I did a research paper on this for school and couldn't believe how much money it cost. Most teams don't make any money from their sports teams and actually don't even break even.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unions will be the demise of college football.

Not to mention once you become a employee your 50,000$ per year paid for education is a taxable event.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

How much would you pay them? And if you started paying D1 players would that pass down to all divisions? Most midmajors, D2, and D3 schools could never afford it but the common argument is that they're getting their education paid for and D3 players aren't compensated at all. So you stop at D1, who are more likely to make it in the NFL and eventually compensated for the time and hard work they put in.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charles I won't answer your question, but I will repeat some of the problems the kids face when they go off to play college sports.
The worst thing I hear is that curriculum is created around these athletes. Degrees that have no practical use that require minimal classroom attendance for example. Go ahead and skip class kid, it's OK.
Or the fact that if these kids get hurt on the field most don't have any healthcare. If the team doctor tells them to play-they play. If the team doctor doesn't want them off the field the player has no way of seeing a doctor at the team's expense. Get hurt in a game and it's tough luck kid. If the kid says a week later it still hurts and requests an MRI only at the order of the team doctor does the team pay for it. Doc says you're fine kid- get in there.
How about the fact that the top paying public job in most states is the college football coach or that it's a multi billion dollar business. Sorry you don't have anything to eat kid, your here to learn and playing sports is a privilege.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Fortunately twomancrew some of what you said isn't true. It is a requirement that all athletes have health insurance. They are not permitted on the field if they don't have it.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetlc View Post
Fortunately twomancrew some of what you said isn't true. It is a requirement that all athletes have health insurance. They are not permitted on the field if they don't have it.
I didn't say that, I said they are not allowed to get medical help unless OKed by the team Dr. They cannot go see a doctor when they want on the teams expense. They are cornered
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM

I could see a lot of problems that would come with paying. Small schools trying to compete with big money schools for players. Jealousy among players over who is paid the most. Does a person sitting on the bench make the same as an active QB etc? The Union ruling sure has some Colleges worried about what comes next.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Or the fact that if these kids get hurt on the field most don't have any healthcare.

That's in your initial reply and what I was responding too. Players are welcome to go to other doctors, but if a different diagnosis comes from both, that's when a coach will get irritated. Nothing is on the teams expense. They have to have their own health care.