Register free!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

How to deal with the uneducated boss

Has anyone had a business structure change where their new boss which has no prior experience in turf management and keeps stepping on your toes. The unsupportive new boss is an indoor supervisor whom second guesses almost all my decisions and work procedures. At times he has work done that causes field damage or where equipment gets broke or damaged causing more work and headaches.

Any advice on how to approach this situation?

I do keep a detailed log of day to day activities and faulty occurrences.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup.

I left
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have any experience in turf management, but I do in IT management... It's not fun. Is there someone you can have a "heart to heart" that's over your current boss?

How did he come about getting in the position he's in now? Unfortunately in most cases the people who place the supervisors/bosses in their place don't have a clue about what it takes to make things run...

You're right in keeping your log, do it and do it well... CYA.... do you have any co-workers? Are they experiencing the same thing?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Sponsor

I had this happen one time in my past working life and in spite of documenting my bosses actions the owners
Just shrugged their shoulders, I to left for better opportunities. The old boss ended up starting out with a brown nose and 4 years later and 3 kids he had acquired a brown body and than fired by the two owners of the
company. Start looking for another job in your chosen field, your time may be up with your existing gig.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I learned working for someone is you have to enjoy your job.

If your boss prevents that. It isn't worth the stress and headaches

I didn't want to be miserable all my life.

I've had it happen more than once in different fields. When I was a mechanic we went through 4 store managers before I left. Everyone of them was a complete joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I don't have any experience in turf management, but I do in IT management... It's not fun. Is there someone you can have a "heart to heart" that's over your current boss?

How did he come about getting in the position he's in now? Unfortunately in most cases the people who place the supervisors/bosses in their place don't have a clue about what it takes to make things run...

You're right in keeping your log, do it and do it well... CYA.... do you have any co-workers? Are they experiencing the same thing?
Yes I tried talking with the head of buildings/grounds of the schools which he was my original boss and was told I need to address the facility manager first. The school changed the command chain which is really awkward reporting to a head custodian. As of last fall things started to fall apart especially since I lost my one employee for 2 months and then never received 2 workers this April and only one. A little interesting trying to accomplish everything when you are down 40 man-hours a week.
Yes my co-worker has noticed things and asked me Friday why are we doing this and not that because the field will not be ready for game time. My reply was I am following directions and we have no choice. Frustrating..
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
One thing I learned working for someone is you have to enjoy your job.

If your boss prevents that. It isn't worth the stress and headaches

I didn't want to be miserable all my life.

I've had it happen more than once in different fields. When I was a mechanic we went through 4 store managers before I left. Everyone of them was a complete joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya I enjoy the job which makes it harder to digest. We had an awesome Athletic Director that had left because of the politics. Now he has his dream job in another state...So now we have gone through 3 AD's in 3 years lol