Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pinehurst #2

I went to the 1999 US open and the golf course was awesome, and that was with the rough. From the picture's i've seen this year's open's are going to be top-notch. Some of the pro lady golfer's are saying that there will be too many divot's from the men hacking it up the week before, they might be right, we'll see in June.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-doubleheader/
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

“Personally, I think this is the coolest thing ever,” said Vicki Goetze-Ackerman, the president of the LPGA player directors. She won the U.S. Women’s Amateur winner in 1989 when it was held at No. 2.

If she believes this course will be in ok shape for the women, I'm standing behind her. The scrutiny on the course from the mass media will be in force 110%. I feel many women's groups of viewing this as putting the women behind the men because they are 'less than'. As a woman in this industry I do not feel that way at all. As we know, this is generating more buzz for the LPGA than anything in recent memory.

Time will tell, until then, there will be loads of speculation.

Superintendent Magazine
Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just can't see the USGA setting it up so that ball's are landing in the previous week's landing area's. But they do want the men and the women to use roughly the same iron's for their second shot. Personally, i think the golf course will be fine.

Did you know that Pinehurst is going to do away with all their bentgrass green's and go to ultra-dwarf bermuda? Now if Augusta would do that, that would change the way a lot of thing's are done, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with the landing. And that would be a very easy fix to prevent that from happening.

Superintendent Magazine
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im sure the greens will be well watered ad mowed a lot higher for the women, when Payne Stewart won a lot of men had a hard time even finishing 18 holes.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know what ...? Those green's aren't that difficult. They are pretty big and fairly flat in the cuppable area's. Their main claim is that they roll off on the edge's. I remember Daly having a hard time but if he's having a bad week it wouldn't matter if they were pool table's. Really, that golf course is tough because of the sum total of all it's part's. You would have to see it in person to appreciate that though, TV doesn't do it justice.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Bucket list

This is one of my bucket list destinations. Top of the list is Augusta, which I can only hope to visit as a patron. I had the pleasure of attending the PGA at Oak Hill in 2003. I couldn't believe how perfect the turf was, I mean perfect.

DC
Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
You know what ...? Those green's aren't that difficult. They are pretty big and fairly flat in the cuppable area's. Their main claim is that they roll off on the edge's. I remember Daly having a hard time but if he's having a bad week it wouldn't matter if they were pool table's. Really, that golf course is tough because of the sum total of all it's part's. You would have to see it in person to appreciate that though, TV doesn't do it justice.
Stewart one it with a -1 score, Id have to say its tough. I don't think Daly had a good time that week.

Of all the Tournments Ive been too Rivera in LA is the toughest layout.

I also would like too go see the Masters one time before I croak.

I was at Shoal Creek this past weekend for the Seniors event. Beautiful place, but I was surprised how wide open the fairways are.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at these picture's, that's as close to target golf and not being anywhere near the desert as you can get. I read that there was 1150 sprinkler head's before the renovation and 450 afterward's. That is what a golf course with only center line irrigation look's like in the summer. I think this is going to be a good tournament.

http://www.pinehurst.com/golf/courses/no-2/

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/course/index.html

Last edited by agrostis; 06-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Greens

What is the word on speed of greens and weather?