Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
oh yeah you'll never get big yards to do weekly unless they are super rich. most every yard down here is EOW. I only have 3 weekly accounts. only the super rich get weekly down here.

...but there's more money in the EOW accounts.

I cut one that is 2 1/2 acres i do 2 times a month and make $250 a month.

I have one that is around 4 acres I do 2 times a month and make $350 a month.

I have a weekly yard I do for $45 a cut and make $180 a month, another 2 weekly yards I do for $50 a cut and make $200 a month each.

so you see more money in bi weekly big yards they just take longer and if you ever lose one it's a huge chunk of money out of your pocket.
2.5 for $125 is not bad at all. Is there a lot of trimming?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

about 15min or so.

you gotta use roundup on a yard like that or you'll waste 30min walking all over the yard. i'm not gonna walk 2 acres just to trim around a little tree or street sign. just spray a little roundup around it and you don't have to fool with it. you can save hrs out of your day if you do little things like that. you have to work smarter not harder.

I mean you can mow right against a street sign with the mower. just spray it where it kills the grass an inch or so away from it and you're good to go for months. most people wouldn't believe it but little things like that can save you a ton of work and a lot of time as well through the years.

the first time I did the yard it took about 3 1/2 hrs. I got it down to 2 1/2 hrs now.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Oh yeah I've had folks who would not take no for an answer.

Which is how and why I have learned when my answer is no, I normally don't bother calling back.
I may refer them to someone else, but first I find out if someone else is even taking on more work.
But I don't call them back just to tell them my answer is no.
I really hate doing no call backs. This is the first time I've ever had someone try and talk me out of not wanting to take a job though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
about 15min or so.

you gotta use roundup on a yard like that or you'll waste 30min walking all over the yard. i'm not gonna walk 2 acres just to trim around a little tree or street sign. just spray a little roundup around it and you don't have to fool with it. you can save hrs out of your day if you do little things like that. you have to work smarter not harder.

I mean you can mow right against a street sign with the mower. just spray it where it kills the grass an inch or so away from it and you're good to go for months. most people wouldn't believe it but little things like that can save you a ton of work and a lot of time as well through the years.

the first time I did the yard it took about 3 1/2 hrs. I got it down to 2 1/2 hrs now.
Ha this place had at least 45 minutes of trimming. It wasn't a house in the middle of two acres, it had a small pool area with grass in it, a patio area far from the house, a steep hill in the back, an island of grass in the middle of a driveway, multiple fences, and so on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah well that's a different story. might have charged $150 for a place like that.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I've only had one person try to sell me on the job.

I went to look at a property and when I arrived, I noted it was a mansion in an old, semi-upscale part of the city. It was a corner lot and was quite a bit larger than any of the neighboring homes.

I met the owner and we walked the property. Long story short, I told him it was a bit larger than I felt comfortable taking on by myself - "This is a job best suited for a crew of 3 guys", I told him.
"Are you sure? We'd really like if you could take care of it."

We went back and forth a bit and finally, I laughed and said "You know, I'm the one who's supposed to be convincing YOU to take me on, not the other way around!"

We talked a bit more and I made the offer to do the first cut (cleanup) and one more regular cut and see if it was something I could handle before committing to a full season. Deal.

In the end it worked out. It's my biggest job and takes between an hour and an hour and fifteen minutes depending on which mower I use and how much growth we get.

I dunno what the deal was - why they wanted ME to mow their property. I can only assume that they wanted ONE person and not a "crew" and that they had read my reviews online.
I actually thought of doing this, up until the part where he started trying to work me over like a mall kiosk salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had things like that. one lady I mow has like 100 shrubs or more and some of them quite large. she really wanted me to do it. I told her it would take me a whole day to do that by myself and it would cost way too much. she would be better off to hire someone with a crew to knock it out in a few hrs.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
about 15min or so.

But with spraying round up as part of your business. If you don't have a spraying license you are breaking the law.
Then spraying weed kill to save you from trimming is unprofessional and it looks trouble.
Why cut corners just do it right
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
I really hate doing no call backs. This is the first time I've ever had someone try and talk me out of not wanting to take a job though.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had far worse.
Way, way worse.

Folks who absolutely do not appear to understand plain English despite the fact they speak it worse.
Folks who won't let me off the phone until I hang up on them worse.
Folks who then keep calling ad nauseaum until I put them on call block worse.
Same folks who then swap phones to call again so as to bypass the call block worse.
Worse to the point that when I finally answer, I'm like you again worse?
I mean I can't get rid of these folks worse.

I have received threatening and abusive voice and text messages worse.
I have had to get the Police involved worse.

Oh no sir, I don't call nobody back if my answer is no.

Last edited by herler; 04-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I get people try that all the time a lot during winter time for snow

Do have one for a cleanup I don't want to do it
Its a jungle I guess everybody has told them no I said no they keep calling finally I told them sure I can do it for $500 pre pay. So I will see if the check comes in.