Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
You're area might be different but around me you won't find a person capable of doing a solo route for less than $16 an hour. Chances are if they're capable they're doing it on their own. Just my .02

You're better off working with him for a month or so to get him acclimated with how things are done, you could also ask Georgialawn, he's in kind of the same situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maaannn, I'm in the dumps right now because my BEST guy and only employee just quit on me. Told me that he wants $1 more per hour or "no mas".

I've been in business since '08 and this guy is THE BEST help that I've ever had. But he doesn't have a driver's license and I'm not sure if he'll transition well from being paid cash to payroll.

Here's why I'm down in the dumps.... When he started I was paying him $10/hr for the first month and he did the same thing before the month was out. This was back in about April or May of last year. It's been slow for the past 2-3 months so he's been finding work elsewhere and I've been keeping in touch every week. We may work a couple days a week in Jan. or once a week in Feb.

So I kinda feel like it's my fault for not keeping him occupied to the point where he wouldn't have had the opportunity to find other work that pays a little more.

Also, I despise manipulative moves/motives with a purple passion, just be straight with me. Now, one thing I can say is that he's always been straight with me in regards to what he wants/needs and when. Someone else posted that most people aren't gonna approach you for a raise, he did.

He even gave me back all the keys: office/shop, truck, and my home garage. As you can see, I trust him a lot.

And I was looking for another guy, a driver. This is the worst time for this.
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Any suggestions on where to find good help? What do you guys use to recruit? Craigslist, friends of friends, anyone have any experience on dealing with a staffing agency (temp agency)?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used friends, friends of friends, and craigslist. my best employee came from CL. But has left me. Finding his replacement is proving to be a challenge this time around. Funny thing is, he was the first guy I interviewed from CL and this guy was like me but only 10 years younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTurfmanagement View Post
Sounds like a guy in a rough spot, as soon as he finds a better opportunity he'll be gone for. I had some issues hiring our first couple of guys last year. Try to keep a business relationship especially if its just you and your guy in the truck, it's easy for him to get confused and think he can make decisions for your company or that you two are friends of some kind. You want him to like you, but at the same time he needs to respect you, and that's the biggest issue I've run into. They think we're friends and try to push more and more. It's best to be up front with their expectations from the beginning and as soon as they step out of line even a little call them out on it, and make sure they realize that it will not be tolerated. Good luck
This is the TRUTH right here. Although my CL guy was the best I had he did this (if your reading this Andy, relax ) but so did all the guys before him. Its harder to be strict on friends and friends of friends but you just have to be or they will walk all over you. Out siders will press slowly though too once they get comfy. You just gotta remind them whos paying who here and if they want a job they better just start listening more and squalking less. It worked for me.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
#1 DONT do it!!!

But if you do: Do this.

Don't hire someone experienced.
They will come with bad habits that will drive you nuts,
Hire for attitude, you can train the rest.

this idea of working on his own without supervision for the first year is fantasy land my friend.
It isn't going to happen, so stop it while you are ahead.
He will need a season, maybe two of training,
Pay the position, not the worker.
that means don't pay him what he's worth now, pay him what you want him to become.
IF he sucks don't punish him with low pay "because he isn't worth it" just replace him.

you think you will save money by paying low wage "until he get's better"
no, you won't…you will go through a dozen guys a season and anyone who is good or getting good will go work for the competition they applied for because now they have "experience", instead of confronting you for a raise.
So effectively you will just train the competitions help.

IF you want this guy to eventually work on his own? whats that worth? $16.hr?

That's what you pay, right out of the gate… hire the attitude and willingness to learn, pay him ore than he's worth and he will stick around as long as you treat him well…

Yea yea I know Im wrong and full of it…. do it like the rest of us have for years and relearn all our mistakes, after all doing it THAT way ha worked for everyone else. hasn't it? Oh wait…. no, it hasn't.
This is exactly what I needed to read. I have been struggling with the best way to move forward after losing a good guy last year. Seems like I keep getting the same "type" of guy. Reading this straightened me right out. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If you make the mistake of hiring the drug addict make sure your equipment is well secured 'that night' !!! but also,one doesn't have to be an alky or addict 'to be a thief', if he is neither of these it starts w/ attitude and being able to listen, the main thing I have learned about workers is the 1st time you explain they are doing something wrong, they gaze off w/ no eye contact....'red flag'!!! & most likely no need to tell them to look at me when I talk to you, its bus pass time and back to work
Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlwnsvc View Post
If you make the mistake of hiring the drug addict make sure your equipment is well secured 'that night' !!! but also,one doesn't have to be an alky or addict 'to be a thief', if he is neither of these it starts w/ attitude and being able to listen, the main thing I have learned about workers is the 1st time you explain they are doing something wrong, they gaze off w/ no eye contact....'red flag'!!! & most likely no need to tell them to look at me when I talk to you, its bus pass time and back to work
I hate that, too? I first thought it was my tone or that I fussing at them. They just didn't really care enough. Can't fix that.

You really send em off on the bus and don't let em finish the day and give em a ride back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Cut View Post
Maaannn, I'm in the dumps right now because my BEST guy and only employee just quit on me. Told me that he wants $1 more per hour or "no mas".

I've been in business since '08 and this guy is THE BEST help that I've ever had. But he doesn't have a driver's license and I'm not sure if he'll transition well from being paid cash to payroll.

Here's why I'm down in the dumps.... When he started I was paying him $10/hr for the first month and he did the same thing before the month was out. This was back in about April or May of last year. It's been slow for the past 2-3 months so he's been finding work elsewhere and I've been keeping in touch every week. We may work a couple days a week in Jan. or once a week in Feb.

So I kinda feel like it's my fault for not keeping him occupied to the point where he wouldn't have had the opportunity to find other work that pays a little more.

Also, I despise manipulative moves/motives with a purple passion, just be straight with me. Now, one thing I can say is that he's always been straight with me in regards to what he wants/needs and when. Someone else posted that most people aren't gonna approach you for a raise, he did.

He even gave me back all the keys: office/shop, truck, and my home garage. As you can see, I trust him a lot.

And I was looking for another guy, a driver. This is the worst time for this.
You chose not to give him an extra 8-10 bucks a day???? You don't deserve him.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our maint employees came from craigslist. This year we hire 2 new guys to run a mowing route. The foreman came with experience and the other is a college guy. Both great workers and both show up everyday. Aside from missing something here or there, they do a pretty good job. as far as incentives go, we have a mow crew bank of $1k split evenly at the end of the year. Each complaint is $20 knocked off. If there is equipment, property or truck damage, 1/2 of the damage is subtracted out of the bank with a max of $200. each compliment is $20 added to the bank.

This is our first year doing this but seems like it has helped with quality.

Doesnt matter where you look for employees from, you'll always get some good ones and some bad ones.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
Most of our maint employees came from craigslist. This year we hire 2 new guys to run a mowing route. The foreman came with experience and the other is a college guy. Both great workers and both show up everyday. Aside from missing something here or there, they do a pretty good job. as far as incentives go, we have a mow crew bank of $1k split evenly at the end of the year. Each complaint is $20 knocked off. If there is equipment, property or truck damage, 1/2 of the damage is subtracted out of the bank with a max of $200. each compliment is $20 added to the bank.

This is our first year doing this but seems like it has helped with quality.

Doesnt matter where you look for employees from, you'll always get some good ones and some bad ones.
I like the idea of that incentive, i would have to do it on a smaller scale though haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have Vocational schools with Landscape programs in their area? And have you looked into hiring graduates of these schools, or have you hired them in the past?