Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I tried about 3, or 4 different styles of the "running/athletic" shirts from Target and to me the others didn't feel nearly as good as this style. It's as close to wearing nothing as it gets, but obviously everyone is different. I never imagined that poly could be so comfortable to wear.
Good thing I bought a ton of them because they discontinued the style - as I expected would happen.
thats how I feel about my nylon pants. The wind blows right through them like nothing is there. It might be worth trying something like this for sun protection since I know it would be cool to wear http://www.sierratradingpost.com/exo...processed=true
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

brown carhart pants, green shirt with logo, green hat with logo
don't see you how guys wear shorts. guess its easier when youre sitting on a mower. don't want to be kneeling in mulch in shorts.
bought some thinner pants for mowing only days, see how they work
Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now blue dickie pants with company t shirt safety green, when it gets hotter I switch to shorts and let the trimmers tear up my legs...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wear mechanics pants, dark in color, light and comfortable. For a shirt any dark color with a collar, I never work with out a collar.

And a wide brim hat.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As far as wearing shorts and trimming/dirty work are concerned, I don't have an issue with getting my legs beat up because they don't - I just get a little grass on them.
I'm not knocking down fields or anything, I'm buzzing off the little bit of maintained grass along the edge of a house after I mow a lawn - it's not like grass and rocks are flying everywhere.

For times when I DO need to take down heavy growth, I have a pair of lightweight "basketball pants" in the truck - I just slip them on over my shorts, do my thing, and pull them off when the task is finished.

If I know ahead of time (and I almost always do) that I'll be doing work that requires long pants, that's what I'll wear from the start.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Always a shirt with a collar, all my company shirts and hats are name embroidered. Never blue jeans or sweat pants, I wear cargo work pants, or shorts that are golf course acceptable of course anything with a rip or tear is either mended proper or discarded. I think the uniform look is the only proper way to go. I have been complimented on my appearance many times and probably been given a few jobs over lowballers and cousins in the business because of the uniforms from a few of my elderly patrons. I always have 2 spare shirts in the truck. I have dedicated clothing, so I do not need to worry about if I have anything acceptable and clean to wear in the morning. Keep your shoes clean as well, a little water and soap and a semi stiff brush cleans them up at the end of the day in no time and they can dry overnight if they get wet inside. Keep an extra set of clean footwear in the trailer as well. Remember people remember neat and tidy people in a more positive way than people who dress like slobs! The same goes for equipment, not only your mowers, but your truck and trailer as well. Keep them clean!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Long sleeve "fishing" shirt (light weight fabric), long pants, usually jeans, steel toed boots, gloves, safety glasses, and a hat.. sometimes an MP3 player too. even on the hottest days. remember to stay hydrated people,, this summers gonna be a scorcher..
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone here has a dress code

Applicators
Khaki pants, Logo'd collared shirt, rubber boots

Mow crew
Khaki pants/shorts (their choice), Logo'd collared shirt

Spring and fall-usually long pants, Logo'd coats and Logod beanies

Landscape crew
Steel toes, any pants (most chose dickies), Logo'd T-shirt that is theirs, they can cut the sleeves off if they want

Doing estimates
Khakis and logo'd dri-fit golf T

Other stuff we have that they can wear
-LogoD zip up fleece
-Logod mid weight watershedding coat
-Logod hats and beanies
-Logod sweatshirts

Other
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some may disagree, but many customers DO see appearance and quality of work going hand in hand.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
Some may disagree, but many customers DO see appearance and quality of work going hand in hand.

I agree. Which is why I'm the cleanest lawn guy in shorts in Pittsburgh.

Tags
cleanups , clothes , mowing