Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Learning curve > stand-on spray units

Wondering how long it takes for a guy to be proficient at operating a stand-on spreader/sprayer???

Reason I ask is I was amazed yesterday. This spring, we stole an employee from a local competitor. He had 2 weeks training on a Z-Spray intermediate last fall, but said he wasn't very good at it.

So yesterday, I let him drive a T3000 around the shop. Then I showed him a 20 acre cemetery that needed 'round one'. So I dropped him off at the cemetery with one ton of fert. I told him to return to the shop for more fert when he ran out. (4 lbs per K)

I got my route done about 2:00 p.m. So I drove back to the cemetery to see how Steve was doing. Turned out he just filled and was on his last section to complete the entire property.

So then I inspected his tire tracks, granular coverage, etc. It was perfect. Not bad for his first day.

Pretty much the only stand-on spreader/sprayers we see around here are the T3000,s, but what baffles me is so many lawnsite members saying they use something else. I don 't get it.

Steve's main comment was, "It's was so easy".

I'm 60-years-old, and I'm beginning to realize why TURFCO has patented their machine.

thoughts?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Wondering how long it takes for a guy to be proficient at operating a stand-on spreader/sprayer???

Reason I ask is I was amazed yesterday. This spring, we stole an employee from a local competitor. He had 2 weeks training on a Z-Spray intermediate last fall, but said he wasn't very good at it.

So yesterday, I let him drive a T3000 around the shop. Then I showed him a 20 acre cemetery that needed 'round one'. So I dropped him off at the cemetery with one ton of fert. I told him to return to the shop for more fert when he ran out. (4 lbs per K)

I got my route done about 2:00 p.m. So I drove back to the cemetery to see how Steve was doing. Turned out he just filled and was on his last section to complete the entire property.

So then I inspected his tire tracks, granular coverage, etc. It was perfect. Not bad for his first day.

Pretty much the only stand-on spreader/sprayers we see around here are the T3000,s, but what baffles me is so many lawnsite members saying they use something else. I don 't get it.

Steve's main comment was, "It's was so easy".

I'm 60-years-old, and I'm beginning to realize why TURFCO has patented their machine.

thoughts?
I trained my guy to use a Z in about 160hours. Sprayed water around my house a few times. Turned him loose on baseball fields first, then some family lawns. He's got the hang of it now. He's good. Proficient? Still a ways to go. But he's doing great because he doesn't want to go back to dragging hose.

It is probably easier to learn on a T. But I want more productivity out of my tech. We have many large properties and during spray rounds, he is going to be wasting too much time refilling.

I know you don't want to hear it, but I guarantee you a Z can do more production than a T. No problem at all. In fact, I wish there was a spray rig rodeo. I'd take on all comers.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you larry a great machine it was put together with lots of though. Easy to use I can even use it.

But to each there own
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
I trained my guy to use a Z in about 160hours. Sprayed water around my house a few times. Turned him loose on baseball fields first, then some family lawns. He's got the hang of it now. He's good. Proficient? Still a ways to go. But he's doing great because he doesn't want to go back to dragging hose.

It is probably easier to learn on a T. But I want more productivity out of my tech. We have many large properties and during spray rounds, he is going to be wasting too much time refilling.

I know you don't want to hear it, but I guarantee you a Z can do more production than a T. No problem at all. In fact, I wish there was a spray rig rodeo. I'd take on all comers.
That should read 10-16 hours. Not 160 hours. Lol.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I learned in a few hours. Can't imagine it taking longer than that. If you can drive a zero turn mower you can drive a Z spray. Biggest hurdle is learning when and where to start and stop the fert. I've never driven a T3000 but I would like to just to know the difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The main differences I can see is turning radius and ability to change directions and head back the other way much quicker on a Z. T is better on slopes for a novice.

Larry will tell you that you can't drive a Z one handed. That's not true. That's the only way I drive my Z.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely drive mine with 2 hands. Right hand usually holds a wand for spot spraying weeds outside my booms and for pulling fert on and off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For a PG/GL type, you can get onto it within an hour or so. To be proficient, probably a couple long days in the field. Easiest machines to use by far.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As usual Larry doesn't really care just pushing T-3000, blah,blah,blah.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service 1st Lawn Care View Post
As usual Larry doesn't really care just pushing T-3000, blah,blah,blah.
Be nice. He's dang near 60 and he just realized that companies patent their ideas.