Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Checked some today and most of the stolons are dark or dead. Found very few green stolons. I have not seen a SA lawn in the whole town that is better than 80-90% dormant. I have a feeling that the heavy sleet we received that stayed on the ground for a week mixed with 11 & 16 degree mornings in early March took a bad toll.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Would any of you guys who are into fertilizer be willing to answer some questions? Id rather not randomly PM people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Is y'all St Augustine waking up yet? In my area it is still about 90% dormant. I hope this winter did not kick it's butt. Bermuda is looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine seem to be about 60%-75%. Bermuda is just about back.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Austin there are a lot of crappy looking SA lawns. There is some fungal activity as well. The lawns I top dressed got jump started.

The TNLA Expo is coming back to San Antonio this year. If you need CEU's for irrigation or TDA it's the place to get them. I'm in Buda an hour from SA so I'm liking the short commute this year.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Here in Austin there are a lot of crappy looking SA lawns. There is some fungal activity as well. The lawns I top dressed got jump started.

The TNLA Expo is coming back to San Antonio this year. If you need CEU's for irrigation or TDA it's the place to get them. I'm in Buda an hour from SA so I'm liking the short commute this year.
I have a couple that have some fun
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I have a couple that have some fungal problems also. I guess its the long winter/late spring that did it. One new account I got this year also has a weed issue and only perfers an organic program. The service company they had before mowed too short, I think that was the root cause. I'm all for organic programs but I think when the weed problem gets too severe the only way to gain control of it is with an initial chemical approach. Then when things are back as they should be use 100% organic maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
I have a couple that have some fungal problems also. I guess its the long winter/late spring that did it. One new account I got this year also has a weed issue and only perfers an organic program. The service company they had before mowed too short, I think that was the root cause. I'm all for organic programs but I think when the weed problem gets too severe the only way to gain control of it is with an initial chemical approach. Then when things are back as they should be use 100% organic maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Going into mid October we cut lawns down from 3.5-3.75 to 3.0-2.75. Short in the winter helps with air movement and keeps the soil from staying wet for prolonged periods. Shorter grass tends to have less weed and fungal issues. it's also a good way to keep the thatch layer in check every year.

It's also a way to squeeze in more mows when the lawns growth rate has tapered off but that's the main reason for doing it. If you use this logic with customers you can get more late season mowing work. It's hard to drop the height much once you get into the layer made up of tough runners and not tender new growth. We usually need 2-3 mows to lower the height .25-.5" at a time.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Going into mid October we cut lawns down from 3.5-3.75 to 3.0-2.75. Short in the winter helps with air movement and keeps the soil from staying wet for prolonged periods. Shorter grass tends to have less weed and fungal issues. it's also a good way to keep the thatch layer in check every year.

It's also a way to squeeze in more mows when the lawns growth rate has tapered off but that's the main reason for doing it. If you use this logic with customers you can get more late season mowing work. It's hard to drop the height much once you get into the layer made up of tough runners and not tender new growth. We usually need 2-3 mows to lower the height .25-.5" at a time.
What is the type grass do you have majority of? SA or Bermuda?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
What is the type grass do you have majority of? SA or Bermuda?
All of the new construction in the Austin area is Bermuda or Zoysia if it's higher end. Probably around 2008 rules were past where developers could no longer use St. Augustine. Overall it's probably 75% SA at this point.
Owner- David

Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
All of the new construction in the Austin area is Bermuda or Zoysia if it's higher end. Probably around 2008 rules were past where developers could no longer use St. Augustine. Overall it's probably 75% SA at this point.
Whats the reason behind not allowing Sa?
Posted via Mobile Device