Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted earlier about a LCO that is looking into that larger or different air filter on the 1000. This would be so sweet if it unleashed hidden hp and gave something like 1.5 gph!! May be wishful thinking. It's hard to believe as big a company as Kawi is that they wouldn't have something as simple as the air intake set up correctly. Would be super cool if this was the silver bullet though. Would maybe make up for HL blades. If this worked next thing a guy would have to look into would be if any rejetting would be necessary or not on a carbed model.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I posted earlier about a LCO that is looking into that larger or different air filter on the 1000. This would be so sweet if it unleashed hidden hp and gave something like 1.5 gph!! May be wishful thinking. It's hard to believe as big a company as Kawi is that they wouldn't have something as simple as the air intake set up correctly. Would be super cool if this was the silver bullet though. Would maybe make up for HL blades. If this worked next thing a guy would have to look into would be if any rejetting would be necessary or not on a carbed model.
I'm thinking the fellow had a bad indicator or some other problem. Kawasaki has not designed a restricted air flow system, they've just not made that stupid of an engineering mistake.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm thinking the fellow had a bad indicator or some other problem. Kawasaki has not designed a restricted air flow system, they've just not made that stupid of an engineering mistake.
Very possible and more than likely. But a guy can hope. He states, he had or is going to be using a vacuum gauge to do his checking which tells me it's also possible that he may be on to something. It's surprising to me that one of us super thorough guys hadn't already checked in to this ourselves just to make sure the manu is on the up and up. Not mentioning any names (puppy).
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Very possible and more than likely. But a guy can hope. He states, he had or is going to be using a vacuum gauge to do his checking which tells me it's also possible that he may be on to something. It's surprising to me that one of us super thorough guys hadn't already checked in to this ourselves just to make sure the manu is on the up and up. Not mentioning any names (puppy).
I hear what you are saying, but I need to figure there is a problem before I start looking, and there is nothing I've seen other than a high gph number, of which from my investigation comes will all BB engines. I look at it as being somewhat relevant, when cutting 72" at 14 mph (not even top speed), the amount of grass I cut brings the fuel usage in comparison to most carburetored engines down into a reasonable range. I still get amazed when looking over the amount of grass I've cut in the mowers last 15 minutes of cut time.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Member

My air filter indicator is showing 2 1/2. He might have a bad indicator if in the red. Got to cut some really wet grass today. Rained hard last night and on and off all day till I was done and then the sun came out for alittle bit! Looking forward to trying those HL blades that Mick is using, but the standard ones did ok. I'm getting that clump out of the center of the deck that Mick talks about. It seems to only happen when it's really thick but I'm hoping the HL blades will help. I'm not getting the clippings hanging up on the back of the chute yet. Here are some pics of one area on this property I cut today.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2014, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mtn. Guy View Post
My air filter indicator is showing 2 1/2. He might have a bad indicator if in the red. Got to cut some really wet grass today. Rained hard last night and on and off all day till I was done and then the sun came out for alittle bit! Looking forward to trying those HL blades that Mick is using, but the standard ones did ok. I'm getting that clump out of the center of the deck that Mick talks about. It seems to only happen when it's really thick but I'm hoping the HL blades will help. I'm not getting the clippings hanging up on the back of the chute yet. Here are some pics of one area on this property I cut today.
I don't believe it could look any better for these conditions with this deck. Yes, you see clippings on top of the grass which is to be expected with a deck of this design, but even with a deck such as the Exmark Ultracut which further processes the grass into much smaller pieces, you would still see grass on top due to the type grass you are cutting.

Cutting a single blade direct standing type grass makes the Ultracut deck shine for the fact when processing the cut grass into smaller pieces it's easier for it to filter down through the blades and disappear. The type grasses you are cutting here is a more woven type grass such as Bermuda would be, which does not allow cut grass to filter through, therefore leaving what is seen here.

What you see here is what should be expected, to make it look any better, you would need to cut it twice at different heights. This allows for smaller pieces to be fanned from the discharge with each cut, giving it a somewhat better appearance.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't a reel cut that grass better?

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Wouldn't a reel cut that grass better?
A reel mower would leave a beautiful cut, but a reel mower is a different beast, expensive to buy, and very expensive to keep the blades sharpened. I have a friend cutting his personal lawn of which is Zoysia with a JD reel mower, and believe me, his lawn looks like a putting green. I think the last time he mentioned the price it was $150 to sharpen the blades, and they are sharpened more often than one may think, but then again he cuts the Zoysia at a 3/4" height. He told me it takes a special machine to sharpen the blades properly, and the expense of the machine is what brings about the higher cost of blade sharpening.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy-
you seem to be under the impression that the UC does well on fescue only type lawns. Not so. They do excellent on any lawn that is dry. We have tons of weedy crap here that is "woven" in design. Crab and Goose grass galore, purslane, ground ivy, clover, heavy dandelion cover. None of them allow the clippings to fall down into the lawn. We do have some very nice turf here to cut.......in certain locals, but more of them here are crap lawns than nice, yet the UC does very well as long as they are dry. My own deck is slightly more tightly baffled than the UC (we have compared them tipped up side by side), but due to the huge discharge chute, and the way the air flows across the front of the deck, it doesn't clump in the wet like the UC, and it would not leave near that many clippings on the surface. The super wide open decks like the VX4 and the V+ have tradeoffs just like the UC does.

The "get it out fast, yet process it a bit better" due to the blades being closer to the front baffle, with the ability to do so in the wet, are great characteristics of the JD 7 Iron Pro deck (vs the MOD like I have), and is the main reason I prefer them above all others.

I am certain you will have some kind of comeback to refute what I just said, but I know what I am saying is true and accurate. I have cut enough tall, thick and stemmy weedy crap to know.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy-
you seem to be under the impression that the UC does well on fescue only type lawns. Not so. They do excellent on any lawn that is dry. We have tons of weedy crap here that is "woven" in design. Crab and Goose grass galore, purslane, ground ivy, clover, heavy dandelion cover. None of them allow the clippings to fall down into the lawn. We do have some very nice turf here to cut.......in certain locals, but more of them here are crap lawns than nice, yet the UC does very well as long as they are dry. My own deck is slightly more tightly baffled than the UC (we have compared them tipped up side by side), but due to the huge discharge chute, and the way the air flows across the front of the deck, it doesn't clump in the wet like the UC, and it would not leave near that many clippings on the surface. The super wide open decks like the VX4 and the V+ have tradeoffs just like the UC does.

The "get it out fast, yet process it a bit better" due to the blades being closer to the front baffle, with the ability to do so in the wet, are great characteristics of the JD 7 Iron Pro deck (vs the MOD like I have), and is the main reason I prefer them above all others.

I am certain you will have some kind of comeback to refute what I just said, but I know what I am saying is true and accurate. I have cut enough tall, thick and stemmy weedy crap to know.
Have you ever cut Bermuda or Zoysia, totally different than any of the grasses you mentioned. I am curious, if you cut crabgrass (dry or damp) of any size with your 7 Iron, are you saying there are no clippings left to be seen?