Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Question about a new trimmer for under 400$

Hi, I'm a new guy starting out and looking for a good quality trimmer for under 400$!! from doing some research i know most will say Echo,husqvarna, or Sthil... i have a few dealers around me for each of the 3 so that not a problem as far as that goes....I'm really liking the 326LS from husqvarna seem's like it has some great reviews on it! Just wanting to get some feedback from the pro's, if this would be a good trimmer to start out with or should i look else where thanks for the help!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of those threads where folks often chime in with their particular product as the best. I guess I could fall in this category here, but:

I bought a Stihl FS90R last year. I think it was $329.95. I replaced a Red Max that was about 8 years old. I can't say enough about the Stihl trimmer. It is a 4 cycle that uses mix gas. Everyone gives me a funny look when I tell them that, but the mix allows all position use and works out great. The four cycle seems to make really good torque.

Not only is the engine extremely easy to start and run and has plenty of power, but the cutter head is superior to the Red Max I used. The Red Max when used in tall grass would allow grass to wrap around and jam it up. Occasionally tall grass will wrap around the Stihl head, but has never jammed it up.

Since buying it last year we had a terrible ice storm in early December. It broke tree branches like I can't describe. I bought a chain saw attachment for my trimmer and it has been invaluable in the storm cleanup work that is still going on. The trimmer has plenty of power to pull the chain saw attachment and gives me lots of reach.

Just this week, I bought an edger attachment for it, and it works great.

BTW, I use .105 Stihl square line in the trimmer head. I learned that if you wind on the line with the natural curl onto the spool, it works great. Holds up unbelievably well, and the engine has plenty of power to handle the heavy line.

That's my sales pitch. By the way, I am not a paid spokesman for Stihl. I am just very pleased with this piece of equipment.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice. Also, good luck with your new business.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank very much for the useful info! Good Luck To You Also!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also got a Stihl fs 90 R. Can't get anything better for the money
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

just bought the stihl fs 90 r with 4 year coverage have to say i'm in love!! haha thanks for all the input
Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamosMidTn View Post
just bought the stihl fs 90 r with 4 year coverage have to say i'm in love!! haha thanks for all the input
Great choice!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As a start-up LCO 4 or 5 years ago, my dealer suggested the Stihl FS90R because that model allows the head to be changed out for other gearbox attachments, allowing me to get "more tools" for less money up front.

Rather than having to buy as separate extended reach hedge trimmer for $500+ dollars, I was able to pay around $270 for just the hedge trimmer attachment (the articulating one, not the fixed model) and swap it ut in 30 seconds any time I needed it. I found that attachment to be worth every penny and do not regret the decision.

The FS90R has more power than any maintained lawn will ever need and I've used it to effortlessly cut down waist-high grass using just normal string as opposed to a brush cutting blade.

It does tend to need valve adjustments after a while, but that's about the only bad thing I have to say about it.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my RedMax trimmers and blowers. I also have one Shindy 242X that has been solid. I used to run Stihl until the 4-Mix. One was enough for me. I love 2-strokes. I think I paid 329 for the Shindy 242X and the RedMax 2600 was about 30 bucks more. The FS94 seems promising but I think I will wait a while and see how it pans out over the long haul. It'll be hard for me to leave RedMax as long as their 2-strokes continue to be made well. Plus my strongest local dealer stocks everything RedMax in parts and new units.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Stilh FS90 that I've been abusing the heck out of for the last year. It still cranks on the first or second pull and the straight shaft with the blade will cut trees 6" in diameter.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have suggested the FS100RX if you are only using it as a trimmer, but like OakNut mentioned, if you do not have a kombi unit then you are better off with the FS90r because it allows you to swap out gearbox attachments unlike the 100RX which has a cable shaft.