Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bahia grass is tough, in the heat of our season, you can expect to cut it twice for a perfect look no matter the blade you choose.

I run low lifts and my mower deck loves them. With the sandy conditions in my area, high lifts ate up 4 different mower decks over the years. My decks still looks great now even with around 2500 hrs on each mower.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put G6s on, last Saturday. The harmonics felt "off". I get the sails making a different airflow noise, compared to a solid sail. However, something wasn't right. When I got home, after one property, I pulled them. One blade is wildly out of balance and two have the slightest bend to them (tips upward ~1/16"). I'm sacrificing today to get another mower dropped off and to pick up a couple pieces of equipment. If I get home early enough, I'll get to work on these blades. I really want to get them right, so I can compare them to others I have. So far, they've worked well.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S & L Lawn Solutions LLC. View Post
what's the difference in the two blades? tcu30317, m144652..
TCU30317 is standard high lift blade. M144652 is wavy mulching blade (which work far better if you mulch a lot with a MOD deck). I run the OEM wavy mulchers under my MOD in the early spring and during leaf season.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I put G6s on, last Saturday. The harmonics felt "off". I get the sails making a different airflow noise, compared to a solid sail. However, something wasn't right. When I got home, after one property, I pulled them. One blade is wildly out of balance and two have the slightest bend to them (tips upward ~1/16"). I'm sacrificing today to get another mower dropped off and to pick up a couple pieces of equipment. If I get home early enough, I'll get to work on these blades. I really want to get them right, so I can compare them to others I have. So far, they've worked well.
The out of balance thing doesn't surprise me, but the being bent does. Oregon makes some good blades, so I am surprised to hear that. Try getting ahold of Dennis (Oregon OEP) here on LS and letting him know. I bet he would like to know about it and maybe even help you out in some way.

I see his light is on now-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=10
Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
TCU30317 is standard high lift blade. M144652 is wavy mulching blade (which work far better if you mulch a lot with a MOD deck). I run the OEM wavy mulchers under my MOD in the early spring and during leaf season.
Thanks for the info.....that helps..

Covering Area: North Florida & South Georgia
Call- S & L Lawn Solutions for all your outdoor needs.
Chevy Silverado 1500
Z925 John Deere
T254 Hybrid Trimmer
7x14 Enclosed Trailer (Freedom Trailer)
PB500-T Blower
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The out of balance thing doesn't surprise me, but the being bent does. Oregon makes some good blades, so I am surprised to hear that. Try getting ahold of Dennis (Oregon OEP) here on LS and letting him know. I bet he would like to know about it and maybe even help you out in some way.

I see his light is on now-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=10
Not that big of deal. Just mentioned it, so that everyone is aware that even the best blades can be subject to QC variations.

The 1/16" split by two is only 1/32" at each tip. Not noticeable, at the heights I cut. I corrected the balance issue, on the one blade. Should be good to go. I'm taking them onto a property I've not used the blades on, before. I'm sure, they'll work great. It's raining, right now, so that'll suck for tomorrow.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
A picture (or two, three, four) is worth a thousand words-

Blades from my Z950A. The center blade in the picture of 3 is the OEM high lift that comes stock on JD 900 series mowers. The OEM high lifts move more air, and work better under a MOD deck (which I have) on northern grasses. The guys on here that use the G6's on bahia say they literally pulverize it.
Those OEM blades isn't high lift blades They are a Rolled lift that blade falls between med and high lift

This what a true highlift blade looks like http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.607...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BS. They are high lift blades. They are listed/sold as such, and have a very tall sail. Your pic shows a super high lift blade. Not many decks can run them worth a hoot either.

All JD blades are formed sail blades with the exception of some they make and sell under their Sunbelt brand line. I own low, medium, and high lift blades from them. I think I know what I have The JD high lifts have as much, or more lift as any other stock high lift from any ZTR manu.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
BS. They are high lift blades. They are listed/sold as such, and have a very tall sail. Your pic shows a super high lift blade. Not many decks can run them worth a hoot either.

All JD blades are formed sail blades with the exception of some they make and sell under their Sunbelt brand line. I own low, medium, and high lift blades from them. I think I know what I have The JD high lifts have as much, or more lift as any other stock high lift from any ZTR manu.
They might tell you that and they might list them as a high lifts But they are not a true high lifts
What you are calling a high lift is a super med lift a rolled lift on my mower

If you want a lots of vac/lift try the ones I posted in my book there just a high lift not a super lift.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The JD high lifts have as much, or more lift as any other stock high lift from any ZTR manu.
I agree.

I sharpened a set of blades on an old guy's JD 317(?) lawn tractor (said they were 4yrs old and never been done). I was surprised to see sails that exceeded 45 degrees and as aggressive, or more, as anything I've ever seen. At what point does a sail stop providing lift and just act as a sweep for debris control?

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer