Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Need opinions on time savings and deal if I upgrade my gravely

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Gravely 252. Currently own a 2009 Gravely 152. Speed on 252 is 13mph plus would have the efi Kohler. Ground speed on 152 is 8 mph with my Kawasaki. How much time savings would I realize? Is it as easy as doing the math and getting 62% or am I missing something? Other considerations I should consider? 152 has 130 hrs on it. Dealer offering $4000 on the trade, sound right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah how often do you cut at full stick?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 148 so were in a similar boat... I wouldn't do it, I don't ever cut at full speed. Maybe things are different for you but I don't service an account that's smooth enough to cut going all out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I have a 148 so were in a similar boat... I wouldn't do it, I don't ever cut at full speed. Maybe things are different for you but I don't service an account that's smooth enough to cut going all out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't need to shoot the current mower. I have a clear front yard no obstacles about 5/8 acre. Back is over an acre on slope with pool fence and tree line. I run full sticks some but was thinking even running less than full would be faster on faster mower, no?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My situation was not exactly the same, but similar. my main mower last year was a 52 inch Hustler Mini Z. It mowed about 8 mph in perfect conditions, but conditions were hardly ever perfect. I usually could only average about 5 mph. This year I bought a Gravely 460. The time I save is amazing. I would say close to 40% faster. I believe most of the time saved comes from the increased in discharge opening and the deck design. The Gravely doesn,t clog, clump or windrow like my old mower did. The extra 8 inches of cut also helps as does the extra 12 hp. I sometimes can mow at 13 mph, but usually around 10 according to my gps. If you can take advantage of the extra speed will depend on the size and smoothness of the lawns you cut.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Ramey View Post
My situation was not exactly the same, but similar. my main mower last year was a 52 inch Hustler Mini Z. It mowed about 8 mph in perfect conditions, but conditions were hardly ever perfect. I usually could only average about 5 mph. This year I bought a Gravely 460. The time I save is amazing. I would say close to 40% faster. I believe most of the time saved comes from the increased in discharge opening and the deck design. The Gravely doesn,t clog, clump or windrow like my old mower did. The extra 8 inches of cut also helps as does the extra 12 hp. I sometimes can mow at 13 mph, but usually around 10 according to my gps. If you can take advantage of the extra speed will depend on the size and smoothness of the lawns you cut.
Anybody have any thoughts on the trade value of the existing unit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess the larger frame could help soak up some of the bumps and the extra power may help but I think you may see a bigger difference going to a 452.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the 148 and I am trading up to the 252. Its a no brainer. 4000 is exactly what I'm getting for the 148. I mow a lot of steep hills and the 252 handles them like a stand on. It is a great machine, just wish it had the suspension seat like the 400 series.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxdub View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Gravely 252. Currently own a 2009 Gravely 152. Speed on 252 is 13mph plus would have the efi Kohler. Ground speed on 152 is 8 mph with my Kawasaki. How much time savings would I realize? Is it as easy as doing the math and getting 62% or am I missing something? Other considerations I should consider? 152 has 130 hrs on it. Dealer offering $4000 on the trade, sound right?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you have a 152 with hydro control I would stick with it for a bit they are the best mowers I do not understand the new transmission system, I seen at least 7 in 1 week last year coming in with destroyed transmissions on the new series with under 20 hours on them all and here we have a small local shop I mean small country side.

I plan on keeping my 148 till it dies and not planning on buying a new one till more improvements are made in the next year or so. The new mowers just keep pouring into shop with so many issues I cannot understand where they went wrong. The newest setup is like a Deere pretty much except the shape of the deck.

If you do and come across a V2 Kawasaki stay away from that motor do not see many of them but on the dyno dealers reporting the are literally throwing the cylinders out of the block and many will not even put one near a dyno now.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I were you, I'd consider going to a 260 or 460, depending on the types of properties you service. Due to the air ride seat, you can cut faster with a 460, in my opinion, when the only obstacle is the terrain. Here, the primary lawn grass is fescue, and if it is tall and thick, you can only push things to a certain point, no matter what you are running.

Another thought. I don't know your financial situation, but would it be feasible to purchase a new mower, possibly on a zero interest financing plan, and keep your '09 for a backup mower? That would possibly make sense from both a practical and financial (think taxes) standpoint. Nothing any better than having your own backup in case of mechanical issues.