Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
What the heck is score?
SCORE Stands for Service Corps of Retired Executives.
This group of volunteers are the original been there and done that in the business world. From start up companies to Fortune 500 Corporations SCORE
has helped and advised people of all ages. With literally Thousands of years of experience from hundreds of members around the USA SCORE can and will help
people that are willing to help them selfs. I know of several members on this forum that have directly benefited from making contact and following the advise and council from this fine organization. My self included.
easy-lift guy

Last edited by easy-lift guy; 04-18-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
SCORE Stands for Service Corps of Retired Executives.
This group of volunteers are the original been there and done that in the business world. From start up companies to Fortune 500 Corporations SCORE
has helped and advised people of all ages. With literally Thousands of years of experience from hundreds of members around the USA SCORE can and will help
people that are willing to help them selfs. I know of several members on this forum that have directly benefited from making contact and following the advise and council from this fine organization. My self included.
easy-lift guy
Thanks.........I think theres similar stuff around here, there usually a couple of fresh lawyers that will help with contracts etc, Ive never used anything like that, but it might be a good idea.

I like the OPs style .........get out there and get it going.

Anyone 20 years old who is willing to do the work necessary to start a business has my Blessing.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Jackson III View Post
I am wondering have you guys ever started to mow in mid summer? Or the spring is the best time to start a lawn service?
Started up in the spring----but left room on my schedule to take newbies that come in Summer----when all the "Fly by Niters" quit because either its too hot----or loosin' $$$$'s because he's really a solo operator but wants the stamina of having a full crew---so in the spring he has 4 working with him doing what a solo operator can do by himself

Or he quits because his BIL finally got him on over at the power company!!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Thanks.........I think theres similar stuff around here, there usually a couple of fresh lawyers that will help with contracts etc, Ive never used anything like that, but it might be a good idea.

I like the OPs style .........get out there and get it going.

Anyone 20 years old who is willing to do the work necessary to start a business has my Blessing.
Larry score is nationwide.

Even if you're a veteran they can help.

They helped me tremendously. Easy lift knows my story
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I will go to my local score office, and try to get a business plan wrote up.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks guys. I will go to my local score office, and try to get a business plan wrote up.
Good for you Charles, All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Larry score is nationwide.

Even if you're a veteran they can help.

They helped me tremendously. Easy lift knows my story
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool, from a old farts point of view you and easy lift are awesome. I get thrilled to see the young fellers excited about starting their businesses.

Mr Jackson anything I can help you with PM me or post it on here and if I can do it I will.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I work year round with the city, I know how to cut scrubs, and plant flowers. Yes the city don't have the best of cutters. In the winter we get up leaves, and pick up tree limbs. But most of the time we don't work if it get to cold.
Charles, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to run a business dealing with the public, you really need to work on your grammar. I'm not saying that to be mean, and I'm sure being told that leaves a sour taste in your mouth, but good grammar is CRUCIAL. You'll be answering the phone, conversing with customers/prospective customers, writing propositions, thank you letters etc. Your ability to communicate in a professional and competent manner will have a large impact on how customers perceive you, and it will make a difference in the amount of work you get. I'm sure there are plenty of local resources that can help you with this.
Again, I'm not trying to offend or insult you. I'm just pointing out something very important that you may want to address.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
Charles, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to run a business dealing with the public, you really need to work on your grammar. I'm not saying that to be mean, and I'm sure being told that leaves a sour taste in your mouth, but good grammar is CRUCIAL. You'll be answering the phone, conversing with customers/prospective customers, writing propositions, thank you letters etc. Your ability to communicate in a professional and competent manner will have a large impact on how customers perceive you, and it will make a difference in the amount of work you get. I'm sure there are plenty of local resources that can help you with this.
Again, I'm not trying to offend or insult you. I'm just pointing out something very important that you may want to address.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Man you is rude, I been mowing lawns for years but never as a business. So I know what I am doing I am not trying to get rich I just wont to make a living.
No offense but what he says is not without merit. I work nights for a school, and the mowing guys for the district are terrible. Not that they couldn't be good, but they receive no proper training at all.
Posted via Mobile Device