Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's why they tell you that. To sell the full seat. The insert kit will work with the stock seat, but not on a machine that comes with the factory suspension seat since the pan is different.
Im not sure what to do,my dealer either orders full suspension or the ISO mounted seat.so I don't know if the insert will work with that seat or not,there not going to tell me either way.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
IMO, you are a lot better off with the std deck. I have a MOD deck and greatly prefer the std Pro deck. Mostly though, it depends on your circumstances/properties.
I only mow 2 properties but the one has like 8 flower beds with pine needles and you cant go past one without blowing grass in the other.Im not sure how the aftermarket OCDC`s work.I have yet to see one that looks like it would last vey long IMO, Plus they look like they would make a bigger mess than a MOD deck.Im relly undecided at this point what to get.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The MOD deck is a major attraction to many guys since you avoid blowing grass into wverything. I don't think you can go wrong with a John Deere!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb007 View Post
I only mow 2 properties but the one has like 8 flower beds with pine needles and you cant go past one without blowing grass in the other.Im not sure how the aftermarket OCDC`s work.I have yet to see one that looks like it would last vey long IMO, Plus they look like they would make a bigger mess than a MOD deck.Im relly undecided at this point what to get.
Do a search here on OCDC's. There are many good ones that are very durable. My first instinct was to get the Pro deck and a OCDC. I should have listened to myself.

I am not sure what your dealer(s) are trying to pull/seel/do. None of the machines come with the ISO mounts as standard equipment. that is an option like the MOD or flex forks, suspension seat etc. Sure, the ISO mounts can be ordered installed from the factory, but again, it is an option, not a standard feature.

The ISO mounts are basically just large rubber grommets/bushings to help absorb vibrations from the deck and/or engine. They do little to smooth the actual ride by themselves. I am just giving my opinion, so you should always do what's best for yourself, or get what you really want, but the standard thick, cushy seat and the suspension insert kit is the way to go IMO. Less money, and does the same darn thing as the full suspension seat, only with much better cushioning..
Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Lawns Inc. View Post
Thanks for the feedback
The MOD deck is very fussy about how it is set up for differing conditions. The std deck cuts awesome no matter what. The Pro deck and a good OCDC is the way to go IMO/IME.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Im not sure what to do,my dealer either orders full suspension or the ISO mounted seat.so I don't know if the insert will work with that seat or not,there not going to tell me either way.
I had multiple dealers (4 of them) tell me the same thing... that the suspension insert will not work with the new B, M, or R series mowers. You can get the regular seat, regular seat with isolation, or the full suspension only is what I was told by all of them.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONO2 View Post
I had multiple dealers (4 of them) tell me the same thing... that the suspension insert will not work with the new B, M, or R series mowers. You can get the regular seat, regular seat with isolation, or the full suspension only is what I was told by all of them.
See, that makes no sense to me. The regular seat is what I have, and the insert kit works beautifully under it. I looked at the previous A models, and the M and R models all side by side late last fall at a local dealership. The pan the seat bolts to was identical. Unless they have changed something on the M or R for this year (doubtful), the kit will work.

The B model does have a little bit different seat pan. It is the same pan that came on the older Z710A/720A. The B is the direct replacement for those two models. I owned a Z720 for a year or two, so I have firsthand knowledge with them. The insert kit will not fit them without some modifications. I checked into getting one when I had my 720A.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
See, that makes no sense to me. The regular seat is what I have, and the insert kit works beautifully under it. I looked at the previous A models, and the M and R models all side by side late last fall at a local dealership. The pan the seat bolts to was identical. Unless they have changed something on the M or R for this year (doubtful), the kit will work.

The B model does have a little bit different seat pan. It is the same pan that came on the older Z710A/720A. The B is the direct replacement for those two models. I owned a Z720 for a year or two, so I have firsthand knowledge with them. The insert kit will not fit them without some modifications. I checked into getting one when I had my 720A.
I looked it up on john deere web page under parts and if you search 930A and 930m it shows an exploded view of the deluxe seat with part numbers and the seat and the base plate are the same for both models.
on the 930m its called a Deluxe Isolation seat but they both use the same base plate.Im assuming the suspension insert would work on either since they have the exact part #`s. TCA19473-seat TCU22416-base plate

Last edited by jeffb007; 04-24-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I looked it up on john deere web page under parts and if you search 930A and 930m it shows an exploded view of the deluxe seat with part numbers and the seat and the base plate are the same for both models.
on the 930m its called a Deluxe Isolation seat but they both use the same base plate.Im assuming the suspension insert would work on either since they have the exact part #`s. TCA19473-seat TCU22416-base plate
That is exactly what I have been saying. They are identical. If a dealer tells you otherwise, he is lying to sell you a more expensive product, or too darn lazy to actually do a little cross referencing to find out for sure. Most of them have people fooled into thinking they have all the answers. Dealers that aren't familiar with my face try that with me too most of the time as well, but it doesn't take long for them to see I am better acquainted with their products than they are. Some have even been honest enough to admit it to my face.

I know the insert kit works on either machine. I looked it up for myself before I ordered mine.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Well Im the proud owner of a brand new john deere 930m /60 inch deck.Purchased it today I came reel close the buying the 950m but the dealer convinced me I would never notice the difference between the two so I went with the 930 as it was $400.00 less.I demoed a 960R with full suspension and mod deck today.It was misting rain and the grass was wet.Ridin` green was correct about the MOD deck,Although it still had the baffles in,It was blowing out some nasty clumps in certain places where the grass was tall.It still had an amazingly smooth cut with no stragglers but After I saw what the mod deck does in wet thick grass I decided to go with the pro deck instead of the MOD deck.Now all I need is a OCDC and the suspension insert and I should be set.I purchased a striper for it also for $199.00 the holes are already predrilled in the deck for this striper but for some reason they made it way to long it goes fromone side of the rear tires to the other! I thought striper kits were supposed to go from t inside to inside of the rear tires not almost to the outside.It could be made to cut off about 6 inches off each side but why they would do that I have no clue.