Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the other replies. Judging from the picture, which can be deceiving, I mow slopes more extreme than that every week with no problem with my Gravely 460, and believe most other "large" frame commercial Z's would be capable of doing so as well.

The problem is, of course, price. I don't think you are going to find a full sized commercial Z for anywhere near $5,000 unless you purchased used, which might be a viable option for you. You are going to put maybe 40 or 50 hours a year on a machine mowing that property. Commercial cutters put on that much or more a week, so if you could find a unit with relatively low hours (less than 1,000?), it would likely last you for many years with minimal issues.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meade tractor has the scag turf tiger I traded in with striping kit for $5500. They gave me $6k for it so they are taking a loss. It's a 2009 with a 29dfi Kawasaki and only around 1100 hours on it. Not sure if you are in eastern tn. The mower is located in bluefield west va about 1-1.5 hour drive from bristol tn. I know meade tractor has a dealership in abingdon va. Might check with them. Nothing at all wrong with that mower. Clutch went out and I put a new one on then decided to trade. Hasn't cut grass since
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Is the husqvarna rz4623 I have classified as a "small frame" mower? I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the frame size thing since manufacturer websites don't separate mowers by frame size, unless I'm missing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Small frame.

Pz is large frame

Mzt is a good median
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I just finished using my dad's new Ferris 600 and it was pretty awesome. I was able to cut the slope sideways with no issues at all and it poured down rain here all night last night. The ground must have soaked up the rain very well because the ground was in good shape.

I have to agree with the post that said I need some grass first. The only place i got slippage at all was when trying to turn around on parts of the slope with no grass. So, I have some work to do there.

Looks like I'll be going with the Ferris since the specs on it seem to be one of the best values around and the local shop is only about 10 minutes from my home. Seems to be the best decision.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

That is not steep at all compared to what some guys on here cut . I would just deflate my back tires some and put a small tractor weight on the deck. I would not buy a 12k mower to cut that. Make sure you have a roll bar just in case!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
That is not steep at all compared to what some guys on here cut . I would just deflate my back tires some and put a small tractor weight on the deck. I would not buy a 12k mower to cut that. Make sure you have a roll bar just in case!
Very agreed that for a home owner to buy a 12k mower for a little over 2 acres with .25 acres or less on that slope is either cost prohibitive, overkill or possibly insane. The Ferris is about $5400 new with 4 year warranty so I can somewhat justify that since it will probably be darn near the last mower I buy. Should last me what, 20, 30 years or more?

It took me a bit over 2 hours to cut my property with the Husqvarna and it is unsafe on the slope. I cut my property in 1 hour last night with the Ferris!! That's just huge. If I do some fine grading to fill in ruts and rough pasture ground later on, I bet I can cut it down to 45 minutes. That's a little over 2 acres in 45 minutes. That just rocks.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashlawn01 View Post
Meade tractor has the scag turf tiger I traded in with striping kit for $5500. They gave me $6k for it so they are taking a loss. It's a 2009 with a 29dfi Kawasaki and only around 1100 hours on it. Not sure if you are in eastern tn. The mower is located in bluefield west va about 1-1.5 hour drive from bristol tn. I know meade tractor has a dealership in abingdon va. Might check with them. Nothing at all wrong with that mower. Clutch went out and I put a new one on then decided to trade. Hasn't cut grass since
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks nashlawn! I'm about an hour north of Nashville so that would be quite a drive for me but that would have been a good mower for me!