Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Where are the professionals on this board? We need to find them because they’re surely not posting here.

The concept that the best time to seed cool season grasses (mainly tall fescue) in the transition zone (which includes TN) is the fall has been supported by experience and research for more than 50 years. The premise is simple: cool season grasses grow best when the weather is cool and struggle in the hot temps of the summer. If I plant my tall fescue in September, I can get 9 months of growth before the hot temps come in June. But, if I plant my tall fescue in April, I only have 2 months of growth before the hot temps come in June. Would you rather have an older, heartier, more mature plant to face the stressful temps in summer, or would you rather have a young, immature, defenseless plant to face the summer?

As for the seeding rate – use the right rate for the species you’re seeding. Seeding lighter is ALWAYS preferable to seeding heavier. Seeding heavier produces chlorotic stunted plants that have trouble competing with each other for nutrients. You can always grow in from seeding lighter or you can plant more seed, but recovery from seeding too heavy is always ugly.

The thicker the lawn is the better it can hold moisture If it needs nutrients you feed it
Now if you growing hay to bale the thinner it is the taller and more clumpy it will get

To keep fescue from clumping it has to be seeded heavy Need be no less then 10lb per 1K
I run a 5 blend mix of dark turf fescue
I don't know how a thick lawn can be ugly
Old 04-27-2014, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
The thicker the lawn is the better it can hold moisture If it needs nutrients you feed it
Now if you growing hay to bale the thinner it is the taller and more clumpy it will get

To keep fescue from clumping it has to be seeded heavy Need be no less then 10lb per 1K
I run a 5 blend mix of dark turf fescue
I don't know how a thick lawn can be ugly
only one way for a thick lawn to be ugly, for every dog in the neighborhood to use it as the common urine hole. surprisingly they have sprinklers that work off motion detectors now and ever dog is scared to death of my yard now only took about two weeks.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgstvrs View Post
only one way for a thick lawn to be ugly, for every dog in the neighborhood to use it as the common urine hole. surprisingly they have sprinklers that work off motion detectors now and ever dog is scared to death of my yard now only took about two weeks.
My Lab wouldn't be scared
Old 04-27-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New lawn early spring

Oddly enough, a nearby homeowner planted new grass seed for a new lawn at a new house in my neighborhood where I walk by every day. I am not sure of the actual date of planting, but it is very close to April 25 (the date of the photograph). The temperature today is 49 degrees F. The growing Degree Days (base 40) was at 204.
http://www.yourweekendview.com/outlo...ree-days/49548

The soil in this area is sandy and infertile. I will keep you posted as to when the new seed first appears above ground. And general conditions.

The third pic, with the weeds, is a different neighbor with a severe crabgrass problem due to neglect on a 2 year old house. Consider this the "Before" picture.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the type spots I am dealing with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do I see moss in some spots? Common in shade--but--the photo looks sunny.
Maybe its a spot where the irrigation didn't reach during seeding of the lawn.

Or maybe it is a spot where the irrigation didn't reach last year.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-29-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: ps
Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Na it is chick weed growing in. I would spray the area but why it would be dirt . Most folk out in the county don't care about looks so its hard to convince them to water see too.
I care though .
It was in the high 80 and no rain then flash floods now so if we had seeded it would have washed away .

I would have loved to known the cold would have damaged the lawns as I could have seeded a week before the last frost and it would be fine right now . I had to reseed many of our regulars this spring but it's hotter and drier now so I hope it comes in. As soon as these storms are over I will be seeding and hoping it takes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tenessee is North of Alabama, so I have no idea if late spring planting will be successful but I doubt it.

In Centural Alabama Fescue should be planted October 1, and overseeded every year. After the final frost of the year it must be bagged and can only be watered just before sunrise.

From looking at the picture the lawn is full of moss, you will have to rake it out, fertilize lightly and lime heavly, and you will get thick lawn until it gets hot, then it will get brown spots. Again overseed in the fall.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

In Tn. we are just too far south for this to work without irrigation.Your seed will come up ,look purty until June,July,and August then it will die .It won't have time to develop the root system it will need to survive .That's why it's a September-October reseed around here.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowyo- I know the regular schedule for it as its 15 years one way as you said . I have to try something this year as its like everyone's lawn is this way, everyone's.

Would this be possible in thought if we did a monthly first application after sprout of a nitrogen to get the leaf tall 4" to help the drying out , then hit it monthly with say 5-20-32
Posted via Mobile Device