Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I use echo and redmax. They are both solid. the redmax is a little older but it is a tough powerful machine. As was stated earlier a steady diet of seafoam through these things will help them tremendously.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

common design flaw with a Stihl curved shaft edger

try a stihl FC110 it's a completely different animal than a FC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
I have a curved shaft edger for my stihl Kombi, and the head fell off the shaft, and cannot get to stay on... NOT RECOMMENDED!
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may be in the market for a new stick edger as well since I just picked up an account with a 1000 foot long driveway to edge
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Member

In all fairness I have not made the leap to the pas system yet, so ended up with a pe260 ($350) set of extended reach trimmers ($475), spare srm 225 ($200)
And now I could really use a pole saw, all of which get use a half dozen times a year or so. Just a thought. For about 350 you get yor edger, and the ability to ad other tools down the road.

http://www.echo-usa.com/m/Products/P...Series/PAS-266

http://www.echo-usa.com/m/Products/P...es/99944200470
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my new account (I used to be Willslandscape). i'm now hmlawn.

Anyways, I bought my brother's used echo PE-265 for $220 and it's beats the you- know-what out of my craftsman. It started 3 pulls after sitting unused for about 2 years and runs really good.

Went to ace hardware and got a new blade for it that has a really thick width, I heard that they last forever, and they do. I edged about 600 feet of edges yesterday and it barely wore the paint off of the blade. I highly recommend them compared to the thin ones that waste away to nothing really fast.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
We have a Stihl FC 110 kombi with the edger attachment, we use Stihl handheld equip exclusively.You get what you pay for.

How is the Kombi? Enough power? What attachments do you have for it?
Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I really like my Redmax. It cost around 350.00 and works great. I have been using it for three years and it still runs like the day I bought it.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmlawn View Post
This is my new account (I used to be Willslandscape). i'm now hmlawn.

Anyways, I bought my brother's used echo PE-265 for $220 and it's beats the you- know-what out of my craftsman. It started 3 pulls after sitting unused for about 2 years and runs really good.

Went to ace hardware and got a new blade for it that has a really thick width, I heard that they last forever, and they do. I edged about 600 feet of edges yesterday and it barely wore the paint off of the blade. I highly recommend them compared to the thin ones that waste away to nothing really fast.

I don't know where you got the idea they last forever. I wouldn't be worried about the paint worried off, how you tell when they start getting worn is measure them when their new length ways, then measure it after several lawns. It will be much shorter. They get shorter when they wear. I change them once a day. I can get a whole day out of them, by the end of the day I'm having to push that blade deeper down to get the edge I like. I order them by the 100's from here for about .80-.90 cents a piece.

http://www.texasmowerparts.com/

For that echo edger, it looks just like mine. I have the PE-266 and it's a great machine, reliable, and the power is pretty decent on it. However, after a year of use, I'm willing to bet you have to adjust the carb. There's a plug on the back of the carb. which is an easy adjust.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I don't know where you got the idea they last forever. I wouldn't be worried about the paint worried off, how you tell when they start getting worn is measure them when their new length ways, then measure it after several lawns. It will be much shorter. They get shorter when they wear. I change them once a day. I can get a whole day out of them, by the end of the day I'm having to push that blade deeper down to get the edge I like. I order them by the 100's from here for about .80-.90 cents a piece.

http://www.texasmowerparts.com/

For that echo edger, it looks just like mine. I have the PE-266 and it's a great machine, reliable, and the power is pretty decent on it. However, after a year of use, I'm willing to bet you have to adjust the carb. There's a plug on the back of the carb. which is an easy adjust.
I get the idea that they'll last forever by how they are about twice the width of any other blade, and I edged about 600 feet and the paint was barely worn off, and the metal was barely rounded on the corners. Also, when we were at the store buying it, a salesman said that a commercial landscaper (like you) uses them all day every day and they last forever for HIM, so they'll definitely last forever for a guy that's only going to be doing 3-4 lawns total.

I do my lawn and one other and don't plan on getting more than maybe 2 or 3 other clients as I'm 15 and school is my main priority right now. Currently I go through about 2 blades a year.

I tried to upload a picture of the width of the blade, but for some reason it failed. I have no clue why if I take pictures of stuff with my cellphone and load them on my computer, lawn site lets one of the photos (only 1, every time) upload and all the rest fail. Annoying.

Last edited by hmlawn; 05-03-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo PE-200 which is a great edger for yards where there aren't overgrown. They run great. The new Echo "PE-200" is the PE-225 which replaced the old PE-200 which I have. I would suggest an Echo as they are lightweight and they also last forever like Loganslawncare11 mentioned in a previous comment.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow