Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Use a spade and estimate you time to do the garden edging
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Bed Redefiner- $600 bucks. Best $600 ever spent. I charge $50 to edge beds. That's an hour of work. NOTE..This is only to edge the bed and flip the material into bed with a rake and rake it smooth and pick up the small piles of grass clipping. Weeding and is a whole new animal on price. The echo redefiner doesn't leave clumps on a dry day just a nice pile of dirt tossed to the inside of the bed to rake smooth. You almost edge the beds as fast as you can snap the edges of the bed with a weed wacker (not running) for those who like to pick posts apart.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
I accidentally posted this with no text. By the time I had it written more than 10 mins had passed. Sorry.

This will be my 3rd season in lawn care, and I'm a small, one man company. Im a full time college student, and this is how I pay the bills. I do this work because I really enjoy it, and it is the best part time income I can make. Plus, it gives me experience running a small company. I focus on maintenance almost exclusively, but have been branching out into fert/weed control. ( I already had insurance on my company, and being a student I could take the applicators exam for $35. I figured why not?)
Anyways, I gave the long intro so you guys could understand where I'm coming from. A customer asked me about edging his flower beds last week, so I measured them. It came out to about 230 linear feet. I told him I'd do it for $220, and he balked. I thought it was a fair price, but I'm not sure. I'd have to rent a machine for $65 to do it. However, I've been wanting to edge my mother's beds for her, and figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Am I way off here? I felt I might have been low, if anything. I try not to lowball, and when I do it's usually out of ignorance. How would you guys price a job like this? Sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, but I've found pricing jobs is one of those things that can be tough.
Posted via Mobile Device
I charge $60 per hour that 230 ft only take me 15-20 mins to edge it
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I charge $60 per hour that 230 ft only take me 15-20 mins to edge it
How?? How can you do it in 15-20 mins? These beds have no edges at present, and there are 5 of them. If you're using a trencher, then you'd seriously be short hanging yourself, as you'd dang near wear the machine out before you paid for it. That's not even including fuel, maintenance, and depreciation. The only way to do it in that time with a spade is to have a few helpers. By the time you paid them, you'd be in the red.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
How?? How can you do it in 15-20 mins? These beds have no edges at present, and there are 5 of them. If you're using a trencher, then you'd seriously be short hanging yourself, as you'd dang near wear the machine out before you paid for it. That's not even including fuel, maintenance, and depreciation. The only way to do it in that time with a spade is to have a few helpers. By the time you paid them, you'd be in the red.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey My Turf Teq gets 60 per hour and it paid for its self on the first job

Turf Teq will dig new bed edges like 10 men on spades Turn the dirt into sand no chunks to break up or haul off.
I'm only one in my town has one and if I'm bidding against another company I most likely will win the bid.
My Turf Teq cost me 3k and I get $60 per hour from it
My 72'' mower cost me 10k and I get $60 per hour
My Gehl Skid steer 37k I get $100 per hour
Which one will get paid off first

I post a thread about tree rings I had 20 trees the rings was 20ft each +I had a 90ft bed So total was 490ft only took me 45 mins to dig the rings and bed edges.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you wanted your price that customer balked at validated. It seems you got your answer.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchillybean View Post
Sounds like you wanted your price that customer balked at validated. It seems you got your answer.
I did get my answer: 4 told me I was in line & 2 were pretty far off base from the rest. Herler obviously hadn't thought his position through. I'm still surprised at Snyder's response, and would still not put my capital to work for such a low price. However, he at least had thought it through and had sound reasoning to back it up. Who knows, with his Turf Teq, he may be able to swing the balance of the scales of economy in his favor to make that work. However, I will still not be edging 230' for $20-$40. The opportunity cost is far, far too high for me to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I did get my answer: 4 told me I was in line & 2 were pretty far off base from the rest. Herler obviously hadn't thought his position through. I'm still surprised at Snyder's response, and would still not put my capital to work for such a low price. However, he at least had thought it through and had sound reasoning to back it up. Who knows, with his Turf Teq, he may be able to swing the balance of the scales of economy in his favor to make that work. However, I will still not be edging 230' for $20-$40. The opportunity cost is far, far too high for me to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device

If its a hourly rate job is one thing but most is a Fix rate job

Most guys here don't even dig edges they just lay it on top its easier then digging edges .
So to bid something others don't offer is hard. On lawns I mow I like the deep edges saves on trimming and keeps the mulch in place most time I offer the service to them for free if its only a few trees
Now installing say a border like edger stones I charge $1 per foot but half that is the digging and other is installing the border

If you ever want to buy one buy the Turf Teq you will love it
Its a 6 in one tool You buy other attachments for it and use it for many things

I have 2 blades I can dig a taper edge or I can dig a flat bottom edge Then I have the grooming blade attachment
The blades has stump grinder teeth so nothing stops it
Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I checked out the turf Teq after reading your original post, and it looks like a nice machine. This particular guy not a great customer. Nice enough guy, but only calls me when he's let things go for too long and there's a mess. I tend to charge these folks more than my regular maintenance customers. I just did a cleanup at the property he asked about having edge, and it took me and my assistant 2-1/2 hrs to weed the beds, mow the lawn, and edge the sidewalks, drive way, and curbing. <10k turf front and back. The place was just a mess! There was sod 3" over the sidewalk and driveway! We left the place looking great, and I did a few more odds and ends that needed to be addressed because I'd like to get weekly maintenance on the property, but I don't think he's going to hire anyone. His lawn sticks out like a sore thumb among his neighbors. I think one of the bigger factors in him not going for it is that he thought it would keep the grass out of the beds, and I told him it wouldn't. He has a Bermuda lawn(very common on newer homes in my area), and nothing will keep that stuff out if beds if they're not maintained. I explained to him that having a good demarcation between bed and turf will help, but if he doesn't get in there at least EOW the Bermuda will be all in his beds in no time. To illustrate the point, I grabbed piece of grass in his bed, and pulled up a Stolon that extended 3' into the yard. It's just an aggressive grass... On my weekly accounts, I go Over the bed edges with a line trimmer turned sideways to keep the beds and edges clear. I'm almost positive that if I'd bullshitted him and said the edging will keep the grass out he would have been more receptive. However, I'm always upfront and honest with ppl because I really HATE dealing with a pissed off customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

The main reason I have to charge what I do on edging is that I have to rent a machine to do it. It cost me $65/day to rent an EZ Trencher, which is my preferred method. I've done small jobs with an edging knife, but don't have time to do large ones like that. I only work 2-3 days a week, and have to make that time as productive/profitable as I can. However, if I already owned the machine, and the customer had me do his maintenance, then I would consider charging $0.50/foot. I have two jobs lined up for next week where I'll be edging close to 800' feet of beds with the EZ Trench. I charged the larger of the two $0.80/foot and the smaller one $1.00/foot. The beds will look great, I'll have a good payday, and the customers will get good value for their money. Everybody wins!

Last edited by chefcam864; 04-28-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I checked out the turf Teq after reading your original post, and it looks like a nice machine. This particular guy not a great customer. Nice enough guy, but only calls me when he's let things go for too long and there's a mess. I tend to charge these folks more than my regular maintenance customers. I just did a cleanup at the property he asked about having edge, and it took me and my assistant 2-1/2 hrs to weed the beds, mow the lawn, and edge the sidewalks, drive way, and curbing. <10k turf front and back. The place was just a mess! There was sod 3" over the sidewalk and driveway! We left the place looking great, and I did a few more odds and ends that needed to be addressed because I'd like to get weekly maintenance on the property, but I don't think he's going to hire anyone. His lawn sticks out like a sore thumb among his neighbors. I think one of the bigger factors in him not going for it is that he thought it would keep the grass out of the beds, and I told him it wouldn't. He has a Bermuda lawn(very common on newer homes in my area), and nothing will keep that stuff out if beds if they're not maintained. I explained to him that having a good demarcation between bed and turf will help, but if he doesn't get in there at least EOW the Bermuda will be all in his beds in no time. To illustrate the point, I grabbed piece of grass in his bed, and pulled up a Stolon that extended 3' into the yard. It's just an aggressive grass... On my weekly accounts, I go Over the bed edges with a line trimmer turned sideways to keep the beds and edges clear. I'm almost positive that if I'd bullshitted him and said the edging will keep the grass out he would have been more receptive. However, I'm always upfront and honest with ppl because I really HATE dealing with a pissed off customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

The main reason I have to charge what I do on edging is that I have to rent a machine to do it. It cost me $65/day to rent an EZ Trencher, which is my preferred method. I've done small jobs with an edging knife, but don't have time to do large ones like that. I only work 2-3 days a week, and have to make that time as productive/profitable as I can. However, if I already owned the machine, and the customer had me do his maintenance, then I would consider charging $0.50/foot. I have two jobs lined up for next week where I'll be edging close to 800' feet of beds with the EZ Trench. I charged the larger of the two $0.80/foot and the smaller one $1.00/foot. The beds will look great, I'll have a good payday, and the customers will get good value for their money. Everybody wins!
That kool You like the EZ trencher