Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Larry, I shoot skeet on the regular and "compete" in season with a bunch of old farts. Hence the name. All commercial brands out there have gearbox and hydro (i think the only exception might be Wright. I'd prefer the gearbox because its the same transmission in every single one (Peerless) parts shouldn't be an issue. Also Hydro may be superior in every way, but really the added value is only perceived by most commercial operators.

I personally am not a fan of Hydro Transmissions, but thats because my only experience with it has been with a crappy L100 series John Deer Tractor. Thing whines like a baby.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hi,
I've gone through the decision making. I really wanted a commercial walk behind but I got the zturn mainly for two reasons. One, they cost less, oddly enough. And two, I can collect leaves and pull the occasional attachment.

As far as longevity is concerned it's all about the transmissions. Unfortunately, by the time you get into the zt-2800's or better (take fluid and are rebuildable), you are looking at 5k and up.

The thing is I haven't seen a lot of complaints from folks with six or seven year old Timecutters. So maybe the throw away trannies are lasting ten years or 500+ hrs.

The Toro 30" has a variable "transmission," if you want to call it that, and I doubt it will last like that Sutech. If I found the right walk behind it would most likely have been a Scag belt drive. I would have ordered an Accelerator catcher and maybe even a sulky and held on for the ride.

Good luck,

DC
If your ztr cost less than a walk behind, it's not a good ztr.

It may last a few years, it may not. But with a commercial walk behind, it'll last you the rest of your life.

The average small solo lco cuts more grass in a week than you'll cut in a year. I've had mine for three years (and it was used) and I've never had an issue other than gunk in the carb that I had to clean out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I went around to some dealers yesterday and after seeing wide discrepancies in prices, I was able to buy a Bobcat Classic Pro 48" Walk behind. I'll post a picture after its delivered today. It was the right price, and the shop is literally less than 2 miles from my house and the guys there are very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to getting my mow on
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetShooter View Post
Well I went around to some dealers yesterday and after seeing wide discrepancies in prices, I was able to buy a Bobcat Classic Pro 48" Walk behind. I'll post a picture after its delivered today. It was the right price, and the shop is literally less than 2 miles from my house and the guys there are very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to getting my mow on
Excellent choice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Terrible photo guys... Sorry can't help it when my father takes it at night... I'll post a better one.

Also, yes its dirty because I couldn't resist taking it for a little spin around my yard.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Congrats on your new toy!